Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM

657 posts, read 717,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The world is very sensible. I don't think it is sensible to keep up with others by financing a fantasy lifestyle. What you need to do is create a budget and live within your means. You want to be able to retire? Save 20% of your income now in a retirement instrument of some sort. I can tell you that game systems come and go. Entertainment systems come and go. It is always about getting the best and the newest one. Not in my house. We have five TV's and not one is a flat screen. All are the old tube TV's and I could care less. What we do have is money and a declining debt load. We also drive our cars for a long time. I have a brother that buys a new car every couple years. I bought a new car 12 years ago and still drive it. My wife drives a 9 year old Chevy Astro Van. After we realized that we could pay off our home in 12 years or less we decided that we would keep these cars for the next decade or so and pay off our home.

For me it would seem that it would be better to win the debt free race and not the new toy race.

i have 2 tv( crt) and man those things last forever........ i dont believe in replacing nothing until it is broken beyond repair....... your doing a good job....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
why do we allow these credit companies to do this.... to us....we live way beyond our means cause they enable us.... i have a credit card limit of 25k, 15k, 18k,13, 9k....of course i have a really good credit score.......(car dealer even took a pic with me) lol
Really? Does someone from the credit card company some out and hold a gun to your head and order you to use it at MCDONALDS?

No one is forcing you to do anything. Look -- I have 250K in available credit -- 2.5 times what we make and we carry no credit card debt.

Carrying debt is a choice YOU make...

Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,484,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Really? Does someone from the credit card company some out and hold a gun to your head and order you to use it at MCDONALDS?

No one is forcing you to do anything. Look -- I have 250K in available credit -- 2.5 times what we make and we carry no credit card debt.

Carrying debt is a choice YOU make...
No, but some people don't get. They think a credit card is equivalent to cash until the collection calls start Personal experience.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
I see very few people that have to get in debt for anything other than a home, start a business, going to school, possibly medical or dental problems, Other than that debt is not something that is needed period. Good debt is debt that makes you more money than it cost you to borrow, like a business loan and going to school.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 PM

14,810 posts, read 8,139,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I see very few people that have to get in debt for anything other than a home, start a business, going to school, possibly medical or dental problems, Other than that debt is not something that is needed period. Good debt is debt that makes you more money than it cost you to borrow, like a business loan and going to school.
I agree totally. I do not believe in Credit Cards personally. If I want something, I save up the money and buy it - that has taught me patience and responsibility. The only thing that I do owe money on, is my car
-it will be paid off within a year, but did borrow to get that. The rewards are I still have money left
after paying basic bills, to use and save up for the things that I might need later...There is no better a
feeling than that freedom and not having that huge burden of debt always hanging over head.
They eat you up in interest rates, which are just beyond the ridiculous. They are doing you no favors when they issue you a credit card.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
at that stage of the game who needs credit score, rating or anything .....when i retire am running that card up and am not paying back a single cent. the credit card was irresponsible to give such high credit..... "get it"
So theft of funds is the game here. I see now. Good for you. I prefer to sleep soundly at night.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,475,194 times
I have been carrying around the max ($2500) on my card for awhile. Unfortunately, cancer doesn't care if you're 23 and only 4 months into your first job after you spend most of your savings moving cross country for an underpaying job. For the 5 years I had the card before my diagnosis, I only ever carried a balance for a few months when I had an emergency while abroad and had to put a last-minute flight on my card. I recently was able to work a lot of overtime and pay down about half of the debt, but it's hard when I still have many bills coming in from past medical expenses as well as ongoing follow up.

It really is not always a choice to go into credit card debt. My only real choice was whether or not to get a car - but after I had no energy to walk more than a block at a time and the American Cancer Society fell through a few time for rides, it clearly became a necessity. If not for the added car-related expenditures, I would have been able to get out of this debt much quicker.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have been carrying around the max ($2500) on my card for awhile. Unfortunately, cancer doesn't care if you're 23 and only 4 months into your first job after you spend most of your savings moving cross country for an underpaying job. For the 5 years I had the card before my diagnosis, I only ever carried a balance for a few months when I had an emergency while abroad and had to put a last-minute flight on my card. I recently was able to work a lot of overtime and pay down about half of the debt, but it's hard when I still have many bills coming in from past medical expenses as well as ongoing follow up.

It really is not always a choice to go into credit card debt. My only real choice was whether or not to get a car - but after I had no energy to walk more than a block at a time and the American Cancer Society fell through a few time for rides, it clearly became a necessity. If not for the added car-related expenditures, I would have been able to get out of this debt much quicker.
I'm going to give you a yeahbut here.... Yeah, but most of the people in this boat have not had the challenges you have. Cancer sucks, my mom died two years ago from it, and I am sorry you have to go through this.... but the fact of the matter is most of the people in credit debt boat are like the OP, who doesn't get it. Or -- more accurately DOESN'T WANT to get it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting sick and tired of all the willful ignorance I see. I used to think you can't fix stupid, but I'm starting to think you can fix stupid -- with a bat. One of the big ash ones they use in the Major Leagues.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM

657 posts, read 717,772 times
living on credit card........ i just brought my lunch on cc and am thinking am that poor ...... but wait i have 50 dollars in my pocket ............. its just a chose people ......its my chose

Old 07-02-2012, 12:35 PM

146 posts, read 358,823 times
I don't even know what is going on in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance