Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 AM

657 posts, read 717,885 times

Advertisements

living off of credit cards? are u below or above poverty..

i would like to think that am as rich as my credit card make me feel..... but the truth is am borrowing or getting a loan to go to mcdonalds....... or to buy that big screen tv.... and to do any thing esle....

why do we allow these credit companies to do this.... to us....we live way beyond our means cause they enable us.... i have a credit card limit of 25k, 15k, 18k,13, 9k....of course i have a really good credit score.......(car dealer even took a pic with me) lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,268,109 times
Poverty indeed...my mother once told me that a rich man only buys what he has money for. Not meaning if youre wealthy you can have those things, but if you don't have the money for them and you don't buy them, your success will come.

I have found this to be true. Besides, who makes you use credit cards right? I must get an application every day, I have accts open but use only one for energencies only. I have no CC debt, just my home and an EXCeLLeNT credit score.

"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means"- Calvin Coolidge

Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,828,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
living off of credit cards? are u below or above poverty..

i would like to think that am as rich as my credit card make me feel..... but the truth is am borrowing or getting a loan to go to mcdonalds....... or to buy that big screen tv.... and to do any thing esle....

why do we allow these credit companies to do this.... to us....we live way beyond our means cause they enable us.... i have a credit card limit of 25k, 15k, 18k,13, 9k....of course i have a really good credit score.......(car dealer even took a pic with me) lol
No, people live beyond their means because of their own choices. Credit card companies send you offers. No one forces you to accept. You have credit cards in your wallet. No one forces you to pull them out instead of using cash or a debit card. Blaming the credit card company for a lack of self control is absurd.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:05 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,120,176 times
I have a good credit score, but the card I have now only has a 4K limit and I'm glad. It's too easy when your limit is 25K to say wellllll I really need/want this item and I'll just worry about paying for it later. Then next thing you know the novelty of all the stuff you bought has long worn off and you're in 25K of debt. I have a few K charged from when I moved cross country and didn't have a job for awhile. A lot of it was my fault. I had that mentality of well I need this or that or I deserve to go out to dinner and have some fun so I'll just charge it. No one should live off of credit cards!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,535,380 times
Don't buy what you can't afford to pay off that month.

The only exceptions I make to this rule are home, education, and cars. And I still research those decisions long and hard and in the case of homes and cars, borrow much much less than the bank will qualify me for.

Learn the difference between wants and needs.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 PM

48,579 posts, read 34,966,648 times
I will doing anything possible to avoid credit card debt, and I haven't had any in about a decade. I save it for emergencies only.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I have a good credit score, but the card I have now only has a 4K limit and I'm glad. It's too easy when your limit is 25K to say wellllll I really need/want this item and I'll just worry about paying for it later. Then next thing you know the novelty of all the stuff you bought has long worn off and you're in 25K of debt. I have a few K charged from when I moved cross country and didn't have a job for awhile. A lot of it was my fault. I had that mentality of well I need this or that or I deserve to go out to dinner and have some fun so I'll just charge it. No one should live off of credit cards!

i have one of 50k too but i plan on running that one up when i retire..... we all doing it

a company like apple is not going to have a surplus of 81 billions because we decided to spend wisely.... come on guys and girl...... last time i check that company is in the want section not the need section of life....

Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,535,380 times
Quote:
i have one of 50k too but i plan on running that one up when i retire..... we all doing it

a company like apple is not going to have a surplus of 81 billions because we decided to spend wisely.... come on guys and girl...... last time i check that company is in the want section not the need section of life....
Everybody doesn't do it. But keep telling yourself that.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Everybody doesn't do it. But keep telling yourself that.

right now i have about 200.00 that owe credit cards ...... i don't do it..... but my wife out 25k from equity loan to pay all our stuff down to zero....... so i think there be up high soon enough...... it tough keeping up the jones......i have brothers like that ..... get everything fast

Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,991,369 times
Quote:
right now i have about 200.00 that owe credit cards ...... i don't do it..... but my wife out 25k from equity loan to pay all our stuff down to zero....... so i think there be up high soon enough...... it tough keeping up the jones......i have brothers like that ..... get everything fast
But WHY do you believe that you have to keep up with the Jones's? I'm quite comfortable living a minimalist lifestyle for now.

If I never get that new Mercedes Benz or have the biggest McMansion, I will be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance