Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:31 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Here's a link that purports to show median household income by year. In 1974, the nomial median household income was $9780, or an inflation-adjusted $47,019. As of 2012, the nominal median was $49,486 or $51,017 inflation adjusted. The inflation-adjusted median has been falling since 1996 or so.

I don't really feel like mathing it out to determine what the nominal and inflation-adjusted income will be 40 years from now, but a difference is ~$4k over 40 years says actual purchasing power is fairly stable.

Median Household Income History in the United States

His post said nothing about household income so that's why I inquired. HH income is certainly a different beast than income
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 12:42 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
His post said nothing about household income so that's why I inquired. HH income is certainly a different beast than income
Probably just lazy phrasing coupled with the differing societal expectations of 1974; even in major publications, the distinction between household and individual income is often unclear.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:20 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Congrats on your accomplishment. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying that it isn't practical for the majority.
I wasn't looking for congratulations. I contend that it IS possible for the majority. Not everyone, but the majority. But saving has to be your priority. You have to understand that once you get beyond the very basic necessities, each additional unit of consumption adds less and less to your happiness & well being.

Quote:
I'm an HR Director and hire for a living...the majority of 18 year olds are making $8/hour. There isn't a lot left over after you live off of that especially when you're only getting part time hours. Can it be done? Sure it can for someone that is focused and has circumstances that make it possible.
I wasn't doing it when I was 18, either. I didn't get started until I was 26 and I had student loan debt, too. Part of that is an education problem. But the information is much more prevalent today than when I was 18.

Quote:
There are not a lot of opportunities out there for 18 year olds these days. I have 30 year olds competing for jobs that used to be held by 18 year olds.
Times were somewhat better when I was 18, but not by that much. People always look to the past as if there was some magic golden age when everything was easier. It wasn't. I get it. Not everyone can get started at 18, but a lot of people can. And they still don't.

How many 18 year olds spent money on the following:

--Tattoos
--Cigarettes
--Alcohol
--recreational drugs
--$4 Coffees at Starbucks
--Eating out

^^This is your investment money right here.

The Amana Funds let you open an IRA with $100 and you can make additional contributions in $25 increments. They're ok, funds, too.

http://saturna.com/amana/

Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Another criticism I have of the plan is that it assumes the earner's income is steady and increases linearly every year.

I have about as stable a job as anyone can possibly get. I'm in my 30s and can afford to put away amounts like $5700 per year (that is approximately what I save now). However, my income will not rise enough for me to afford the $20,000 a year the plan calls for by the time I hit my 50s. I could maybe afford 12-15K a year by that point, but ~10K is more realistic. $20K a year would be about half my net income in my early 50s, assuming I stay in my current job. I hate to break this to the OP, but most jobs are not giving raises commensurate with inflation.

It's another one of those things that would require me to give up pretty much everything - no vacations, live in a starter house my whole life, etc...

Old 06-10-2015, 11:57 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Another criticism I have of the plan is that it assumes the earner's income is steady and increases linearly every year.

I have about as stable a job as anyone can possibly get. I'm in my 30s and can afford to put away amounts like $5700 per year (that is approximately what I save now). However, my income will not rise enough for me to afford the $20,000 a year the plan calls for by the time I hit my 50s. I could maybe afford 12-15K a year by that point, but ~10K is more realistic. $20K a year would be about half my net income in my early 50s, assuming I stay in my current job. I hate to break this to the OP, but most jobs are not giving raises commensurate with inflation.

It's another one of those things that would require me to give up pretty much everything - no vacations, live in a starter house my whole life, etc...
I'm in the same boat in that regard. The main thing is to just get started. So what if you never save 20K per year. What actually matters is your after tax savings rate. You don't need $10M if you only spend 40k per year. Very conservatively, 10M generates 300K per year. If you're just conservative and not very conservative, you can take out $400K the first year. Even with 50 years of inflation, most people won't need that much.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:15 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm in the same boat in that regard. The main thing is to just get started. So what if you never save 20K per year. What actually matters is your after tax savings rate. You don't need $10M if you only spend 40k per year. Very conservatively, 10M generates 300K per year. If you're just conservative and not very conservative, you can take out $400K the first year. Even with 50 years of inflation, most people won't need that much.
If meeting the goals of the plan isn't important... then the plan itself isn't important.

If I told you that you should be saving $1m per year, you'd laugh, and say that's not possible. And statistically speaking ,you'd assume since you can't reach $1m, then you shouldn't save at all. THat's just human nature.

The reality is that all dollar figure savings goals are meaningless. They ignore COL in your area as well as your own ability to live frugally.

No one has ever said $10M is the number to shoot for(at least no one I've ever read).

That said, "get started" is nice... but meaningless. The guy who puts away $5/week got started. He's not going anywhere... but he got started. The important thing is not to just get started. It's to figure out what your needs will likely be, and figure out how to save to meet those needs.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

I'd challenge to work towards growing your income and annual savings. In 15+ years you should be able to more than double your annual savings. As earnings grow it becomes easier and easier to save more even though a lot of people don't. 1000.00 means a lot more to someone earning 30,000 than one earning 60,000

Old 06-11-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
If meeting the goals of the plan isn't important... then the plan itself isn't important.

If I told you that you should be saving $1m per year, you'd laugh, and say that's not possible. And statistically speaking ,you'd assume since you can't reach $1m, then you shouldn't save at all. THat's just human nature.

The reality is that all dollar figure savings goals are meaningless. They ignore COL in your area as well as your own ability to live frugally.

No one has ever said $10M is the number to shoot for(at least no one I've ever read).

That said, "get started" is nice... but meaningless. The guy who puts away $5/week got started. He's not going anywhere... but he got started. The important thing is not to just get started. It's to figure out what your needs will likely be, and figure out how to save to meet those needs.

Dollar based savings goals aren't meaningless and don't ignore COL. Dollar based is the easiest way to measure things both in terms of current savings and projected need. My wife and I have a goal of 10mm and we are ahead of pace it accomplish the goal. Getting started is important even though the 5.00 is meaningless but the action and formation of different routines/habits is important

Old 06-15-2015, 10:16 PM

298 posts, read 299,478 times
Quote:

I stopped at 73/$10mil because I know of someone who recently retired from working full time at that age. She could have stopped working at 67 but says she would have been bored silly. The Dow Jones also rose from 10,000 to 18,000 during that time which worked out perfectly.

Conversely, a 401k could be chopped in half immediately upon retiring with some bad timing. (2007-2009 anyone?) That should make for a valid reason to overshoot one's retirement goal.

Also, in 50 years it will be trillionaires making the news, not billionaires. We're only a few years away from athletes and musicians being worth over a billion dollars. $10mil won't seem like such an extravagant figure in 2065.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:17 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times
Quote:

too many variables.
If we were in 2010, you'd estimate gas prcies to be $5/gallon, not half of that.
We are all moderately fit or some even superhero fit right now, but accidents and weird medical complications do happen, costs for healthcare are dynamic.
If you can take care of the cost of housing by eliminating it by retirement, and investing to increase your wealth you're on the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance