Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,170,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It is not true. Many retailers have substituted lesser quality items/products that look the same but are inferior to their predecessors. These diminished quality products escape scrutiny in the reported inflation numbers.
How do you know its not true? The issue of diminished quality in food is relatively minor due to regulations on the food. How has the quality of 2% milk diminished? 10% fat beef? 99% fat free chicken?
Anyhow, the the reported rate of inflation for food over the last 6 months has been around 2%...hardly what folks' anecdotal stories are suggesting:

Consumer Price Index Summary

So, if the governments figures on food are incorrect....where is an index that correctly tracks food costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM

9,453 posts, read 14,410,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

So, if the governments figures on food are incorrect....where is an index that correctly tracks food costs?
All CPIs are different. Personal responsibility, then: figure out your own basket of goods and services, and track it. Then you'll have your CPI.

I have more trust in the common sense of a few, observant, down-to-earth, hard-working people than in a bunch of parasitic bureaucrats serving the ruling classes.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,406,926 times
Quote:
How do you know its not true? The issue of diminished quality in food is relatively minor due to regulations on the food. How has the quality of 2% milk diminished? 10% fat beef? 99% fat free chicken?
Anyhow, the the reported rate of inflation for food over the last 6 months has been around 2%...hardly what folks' anecdotal stories are suggesting:

Consumer Price Index Summary

I think you need to re read that, food was not 2%

Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 AM

260 posts, read 950,558 times
Quote:
Anyhow, the the reported rate of inflation for food over the last 6 months has been around 2%...hardly what folks' anecdotal stories are suggesting
I am no mathematician, or someone that pays much attention to statistics ( I can't really understand them), but one thing that I know for sure is that I paid a lot more money last week than I did in the beginning of March. Like I said, I ended up paying about $20 more for the same stuff I bought in early March. This is why I was so alarmed, because I been shopping at the same store for the past 2 years (the Norfolk Commissary-husband is in the military) and this place offers us fairly cheaper prices than other grocery stores. That is why I was so shocked. I make a list of items and put the prices next to it, and that is how I know that this stuff went up almost over night you could say.

Honey, right about now I don't care much for government figures..all I know is that I'm still making the same crappy amount of money, and yet have to pay a whole lot more for food, gas and pretty much all the necessities I need to survive and have a healthy life.
Just my honest opinion...It is definately true that the working class is hurting, badly.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,832,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Supermarket prices have gone up dramatically the first quarter of this year. More than that, take a look at the packaging. Sometimes you pay the same price, but if you look at the ounces, you are getting less. Be prepared for the prices to keep rising, because manufacturers, farmers, processors and shippers are all having to recoup some of the fuel costs that have skyrocketed. Corn and sugar are also being purchased for the alternative fuels market, which means foodstuffs that use corn or sugar products are also going to be competing for those commodities, making the price go up.
True but the cost of other things- like cars, washing machines and TV sets are falling.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,579,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
Just my honest opinion...It is definately true that the working class is hurting, badly.

Well, of course.

And there are always some jerks who want to kick you when you are down.

Called the job being a "cracker" -- short for Whip Cracker -- in the old South.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,397,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
True but the cost of other things- like cars, washing machines and TV sets are falling.
Those prices are falling because the demand for them is decreasing. Why? Because people have to shift more resources to the increasing costs of necessities like food and energy.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 AM

sean = correct!

Automakers announced they have been in a recession for a year or so now. I read some where that half of 2007s inventory is still on lots across the states. Expect to see some great deals in the coming months. By the end of the year when things have not changed much for them, the deals will be even better.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,982,477 times
This source for cost info is I think easier to read and understand than the previously provided link. It confirms that food costs rose at a higher rate than other goods during 2007, and that the increase of costs has been accelerating. Which is why people are really noticing changes now week to week.

ERS/USDA Briefing Room - Food CPI, Prices, and Expenditures: Analysis and Forecasts of the CPI for Food

Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This source for cost info is I think easier to read and understand than the previously provided link. It confirms that food costs rose at a higher rate than other goods during 2007, and that the increase of costs has been accelerating. Which is why people are really noticing changes now week to week.

ERS/USDA Briefing Room - Food CPI, Prices, and Expenditures: Analysis and Forecasts of the CPI for Food
great post, by the way the other link posted said the same thing. food increased by 4%, not sure where that guy got the 2% thing from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance