Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,167,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I would say a troll because everything you have said has been contradicted by facts
Nothing I have said has been "contradicted by facts", I merely noted the officials figures don't show out of control inflation on food.
Nobody has shown that the official figures are wrong, unfortunately
anecdotal stories don't count.

But also, I've just gotten sick of what appears to be Americans ability to whine about things endlessly yet do nothing to correct the problems. Cheese has gotten expensive? Don't buy it. All I see is people complaining, but not doing a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,398,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Nothing I have said has been "contradicted by facts", I merely noted the officials figures don't show out of control inflation on food.
Nobody has shown that the official figures are wrong, unfortunately
anecdotal stories don't count.

But also, I've just gotten sick of what appears to be Americans ability to whine about things endlessly yet do nothing to correct the problems. Cheese has gotten expensive? Don't buy it. All I see is people complaining, but not doing a thing.
You took part of what i said and ignored the rest. Let me repeat it again. You take facts and figures and give them very odd interpretations. I have a degree in economics so let me explain how this works. Food in one year has gone up 4.5% (in south florida its 5.8), yet yearly raises are any where from 0 to 3% per annum. That means incomes are NOT keeping up with inflation. That is how someone who understands finance and economics would properly access the situation. Food is not the only thing that has gone up by the way. Health care, Fuel, Insurance (home and auto). People are finding it hard to make ends meet. Now if you still don't get it then I really don't know what to say. Not to mention given adjusted rate of inflation people are making less money than they were a decade ago, do the research.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,626,580 times
Here's a survey of supermarket prices that's independent of the government figures. As in the UK's retail supermarket survey, the inflation seems to be running much higher than the official figures. At the time this survey was taken in the fall, the CPI version of inflation was only 2.0 percent. Supermarket prices were actually up 9.8 percent.

Quote:
The average basket price far outpaced inflation, jumping from $101.17 last year to $111.08 this year — a $9.91 difference, $3.17 of which was dairy.
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/202468 (broken link)

Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Now if you still don't get it then I really don't know what to say.
I don't know, maybe you just don't read what others actually post. What am I suppose to get? I said nothing about wage inflation, absolutely nothing. I never claimed increases in wage/food are inline, never. I made one claim, that the official figures do not show that increases in food prices are out of control and are in conflict with the anecdotes one keeps hearing on forums, CNN etc.
This is not to mention looking at the increases in food prices vs wage increases says little about whether wages are keeping up with inflation or not. All the tinfoil hatters, love to mention the price increases in food, gas etc yet ignore the decreases in rents, housing prices etc.

Your points aren't even related to my claims, I suppose that is what I don't get = )

Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,626,580 times
"All the tinfoil hatters, love to mention the price increases in food, gas etc yet ignore the decreases in rents, housing prices etc."

Rents are rising in most places. They're building several new apartment towers down the street so they must be seeing demand. Fewer homebuyers means more people will rent. Soaring utility prices (the condo HOA just reported that utility costs exceeded the budget by 50 percent) and more delinquent condo units mean higher HOA fees which will in turn cause rents to rise.

http://www.nvar.com/market/rental/Q3october2007Totals.pdf (broken link)

Notice that the crisis in housing is about the rise in monthly mortgage payments. We're now seeing delayed shock from the rise in housing prices since many people bought with low introductory rate loans or with interest-only payment schedules for the first three to five years.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,398,489 times
Quote:
I don't know, maybe you just don't read what others actually post. What am I suppose to get? I said nothing about wage inflation, absolutely nothing. I never claimed increases in wage/food are inline, never. I made one claim, that the official figures do not show that increases in food prices are out of control and are in conflict with the anecdotes one keeps hearing on forums, CNN etc.
This is not to mention looking at the increases in food prices vs wage increases says little about whether wages are keeping up with inflation or not. All the tinfoil hatters, love to mention the price increases in food, gas etc yet ignore the decreases in rents, housing prices etc.

Your points aren't even related to my claims, I suppose that is what I don't get = )
again what in Gods name are you talking about? Food inflation on its own is irrelevant as a indicator of ANYTHING, unless you take into account its affect on.... never mind.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 AM

4,546 posts, read 6,831,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You took part of what i said and ignored the rest. Let me repeat it again. You take facts and figures and give them very odd interpretations. I have a degree in economics so let me explain how this works. Food in one year has gone up 4.5% (in south florida its 5.8), yet yearly raises are any where from 0 to 3% per annum. That means incomes are NOT keeping up with inflation. That is how someone who understands finance and economics would properly access the situation. Food is not the only thing that has gone up by the way. Health care, Fuel, Insurance (home and auto). People are finding it hard to make ends meet. Now if you still don't get it then I really don't know what to say. Not to mention given adjusted rate of inflation people are making less money than they were a decade ago, do the research.
You nailed it on the head. Most companies have their raises capped at 3% in alignment with the reported (inaccurate) inflation rate. The real rate is most likely in the 5% range when incorporating things that affect real people.

The beauty of the government's reported rate is that it is self-fulfilling. The Fed is more concerned about wage inflation and if they can perpetuate the belief that its only 3% then employers can justify only giving 3% raises. Private employers will pay market rates for specialized workers yet less specialized private and public employees will inevitably be tied to the reported government figures.

This under accounted for inflation rate is the reason IMHO why real wages have actually declined in the past 5 or 6 years.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
unless you take into account its affect on.... never mind.
Yes never mind please. You are again not responding to what is actually posted and repeating I'm suggesting something I'm not.

Quote:
Rents are rising in most places
Firstly when looking at rents you don't just look at condos etc, secondly the CPI reports that rents have only gone up a modest degree (around 2.5% for the year). The rate of increase is slowing, unlike say food. The fact that a bunch of people are going to have their loans reset does not mean that prices in housing are going up.
That is just the legacy of past prices. Housing prices today are clearly going down and in the long run it will take rents with it (Already has in others like Southern California).

Old 04-07-2008, 04:32 PM

18,361 posts, read 26,564,662 times
Quote:
Yes never mind please. You are again not responding to what is actually posted and repeating I'm suggesting something I'm not.

Firstly when looking at rents you don't just look at condos etc, secondly the CPI reports that rents have only gone up a modest degree (around 2.5% for the year). The rate of increase is slowing, unlike say food. The fact that a bunch of people are going to have their loans reset does not mean that prices in housing are going up.
That is just the legacy of past prices. Housing prices today are clearly going down and in the long run it will take rents with it (Already has in others like Southern California).
You stated above: "All the tinfoil hatters, love to mention the price increases in food, gas etc yet ignore the decreases in rents, housing prices etc."

Your contradict yourself when you say: "secondly the CPI reports that rents have only gone up a modest degree"

Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,679,211 times
Please..the CPI changes month to month based on what they want to remove or re-calculate it's weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance