Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,398,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
I'm fairly flexible with food, never ate expensive at home or anywhere else. Too many lean years as a bachelor with some priceless survival skills learned. These have come in very handy the last few months as the basics have shot up so badly.

Saturday I took a niece along with me for some grocery shopping. I'm trying to teach her how to handle her budget as she gets older. My first lesson was buy the cheapest stuff and doctor it up as you need to. Forget the $3.50 jar of Ragu, grab three cans of Hunts for a buck apiece. Kraft macaroni & cheese in the shape of Shrek is no bargain at $1.50. Go for the store brand at .48 cents, close your eyes and make believe. You don't need Nathan's coneys for four bucks, the dollar dogs taste good enough when you bury them with your fave fixings.

Another thing I try to teach her is to find one store where you can get almost everything on your list. Sometimes you may have to pay more for an item or two but you'll save over the long haul. For instance, one local butcher shop has excellent store made sausage at usually a very good price. Instead of going there, we paid slightly more for a regional brand where we were already at. Why? From the main store to the butcher shop was an extra twenty miles. I might have paid two dollars more on our sausage purchase but didn't need to use the gas to get to the other shop.

Shop wisely, don't be picky and learn how to slap together some basic and tasty meals. Plan ahead. You can shave quite a bit off the monthly food bill. And for goodness sake, hold the line with the kids. They don't need lunchables, they don't need video game hero cereal and they don't need name brand soda. They will get over it. And if they slap back with "well, you don't need that morning coffee from S-bucks when you have a coffee maker here and a travel mug", take it like an adult and tell them they're absolutely right.
You just taught that girl how to eat herself into a early grave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:20 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,427,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You just taught that girl how to eat herself into a early grave.
In what way? Please tell? Don't just hit and run.

Last edited by Bazzwell; 04-13-2008 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 06:36 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,864,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
Well said. I shop the same way, & save a lot of $$$. I actually don't like going to restaurants because I know I can make it better & cheaper at home. My kids actually prefer home cooked meals, too, so I think they've realized how much money their friends waste on fast food, etc.

As far as food prices going up, unless you're independently wealthy, you've had to notice how insanely high everything's costing these days. I read somewhere that inflation has risen at almost record rates & it's being felt everywhere.

Define "insanely high." Does it take a wheelbarrow full of dollars to buy a loaf of bread? Or a newspaper?

Commanding Heights : The German Hyperinflation, 1923 | on PBS

...the exchange rate between the dollar and the Mark was one trillion Marks to one dollar, and a wheelbarrow full of money would not even buy a newspaper...

Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,809,467 times
Link:

As food inflation soars, reforms in Egypt may slow - MarketWatch

Old 04-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
In what way? Please tell? Don't just hit and run.
I didn't mean to "hit". I just meant the food you suggested was not the most healthy, but given high costs for quality goods, what can you really do?!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I didn't mean to "hit". I just meant the food you suggested was not the most healthy, but given high costs for quality goods, what can you really do?!
Perhaps the foods mentioned weren't the best examples. How about this, and I've used them as an example with her, carrots. The ready cut bagged kind or fresh that you need to peel and chop? The fresh you need to peel, usually cheaper. Carrots are carrots are carrots. Why pay for someone else to do your chopping?

Other veggies like cauliflower, peas and such might be better purchased frozen as far as price goes. In our area a fresh head of cauliflower can hit close to four dollars in the off season while a frozen bag would be perhaps 99 cents on sale. Not quite as tasty but they'll do the job.

The goal is simply to get her to compare and save on price while trying not to sacrifice basic needs.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:55 PM

I agree with you! We in America are going to have to rethink how we do things moving forward, and your example is a very good one!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 AM

6,898 posts, read 22,581,328 times
Quote:
Perhaps the foods mentioned weren't the best examples. How about this, and I've used them as an example with her, carrots. The ready cut bagged kind or fresh that you need to peel and chop? The fresh you need to peel, usually cheaper. Carrots are carrots are carrots. Why pay for someone else to do your chopping?

Other veggies like cauliflower, peas and such might be better purchased frozen as far as price goes. In our area a fresh head of cauliflower can hit close to four dollars in the off season while a frozen bag would be perhaps 99 cents on sale. Not quite as tasty but they'll do the job.

The goal is simply to get her to compare and save on price while trying not to sacrifice basic needs.
Some people prefer to pay for the convenience of pre-peeled, sliced, etc. They will have to decide for themselves if the price increase is worth the time they save.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Some people prefer to pay for the convenience of pre-peeled, sliced, etc. They will have to decide for themselves if the price increase is worth the time they save.
These people shouldn't cry about prices then. If they want more convenience, they will have to pay for that.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Of course, yes.

I like to calculate it this way. I'll use rough figures since I don't have them right in front of me.

Let's say a prepared bag of something costs me two dollars and a fresh selection of the same costs me one dollar. It takes me five minutes to wash, peel and cut them myself. I've just paid myself a dollar for that five minutes of work. Now say I buy a dozen different things like this over the course of a week. It takes me an hour to prepare them myself but now I've been awarded an extra $12 for my troubles. Over the course of 52 weeks that gives me roughly an extra $624.

Your mileage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance