Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,171,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think its a pretty clear conspiracy, and I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories. But the evidence is overwhelming.

-People are constantly told everything "is ok". On the news, on the radio. In the paper. People with different viewpoints are pushed to the fringe by the mainstream media (i.e. ron paul and his views on economics, inflation). It's all one voice saying everything is ok (when forums like this are saying something different).

-Actual price increases are hidden away. If you read the paper, you'll read about the "core cpi"....no one shops that way. Is it a coincidence that they took out two of the fastest rising components of the cpi (food and energy). We still need food and energy.

That'd be like reporting on the cost of cars and not including tires or a steering wheel. Or, why not report on both figures side by side (old cpi vs new). Or dig to see how its calculated.

-All the anecdotal evidence (on forums like this) vs the offical viewpoint. Most people wouldnt go to the trouble of starting threads or discussions if it wasnt impacting them in some way. Most people just want to go on with their lives, it doesnt matter what the official number is. They have no incentive to make it worst than it is.

-The food is clearly packaged as a certain size. But its a subtle trick. Keep the box the same size or lower the amount inside. Most people are too busy to pay attention. The same way people are too busy to pay attention to dollar inflation, depreciation. The money in our wallets use to be backed by gold and silver (i.e. Silver Certificates). Now they arent anymore. Its a very very subtle devaluation.

-The government has a big incentive to keep the official inflation number lower than it is (lower payments to people who get payments tied to inflation, it makes politicans look good as they keep inflation low, it does all kinds of things).

The food is clearly packaged. But why all the tricks. Why do chips come up to 40% of the top of the bag. The chips and snack aisle. The dinner section. There are too many tricks.

I believe in whats actually happened and observations. It's gotten much more expensive to live than 2 or 3% a year. These inflation threads make me wonder what it really is. When you factor in the packaging, the substitutes.

I think its eerie what happens to people without their knowledge.

For example, the increase in portion size of food from a restaurant now vs 30 or 40 years ago. Compare a McDonalds meal now vs the 50's. Why are drinks so big? Do we need 64 ounce super drinks at fast food places?

Compare a popcorn at a typical theater now vs 20 or 30 years ago. Why are they so big? Its a very subtle increase that you dont notice day to day. But over time, people wake up....and they're overweight. No tin hats. Just being conscious of whats going on. If alot of people notice whats going on (and it adversely affects them)....and the offical word is something completely different (and it stays that way), thats where you get a conspiracy.

so first some companies give you too little food then they give you too much to make you fat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,601,165 times
Ways in which restaurant prices are increasing visibly or invisibly:

1. Portion sizes are getting smaller.

Restaurants cut portion sizes in tight economy - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

2. Many fast-food chains are pricing the small/regular size what they used to price their supersize/large combos.

3. Many fast-food chains no longer include the drink as part of their combos yet charge the same or more.

4. Many fast-food chains now price the drink as self-serve refillable in order to charge a much higher price.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,384,361 times
If you ask me, we might as well just bend over . The prices that are going up are things we need every day. Are we not going to eat? Heat our house? Drive?

I guess that is why these forums are good so at least we can vent.

Us ladies are used to this anyway, It has never made sense the prices that they charge for feminine products . But what are we going to do .

Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,382,944 times
We'll still eat, we'll still heat our homes, and we'll still drive.

We may prepare more foods ourselves from scratch and may buy more from local growers, though.

And we may turn the thermostat down a degree or two, insulate our homes a little better, and design them with passive heating and cooling elements.

And we may buy vehicles that get 25-30 mpg instead of 12-15 mpg. And we may be more conscious of the trips that we make and whether or not we can combine them or carpool.

The costs of everything are going up, and with the exception of the oil companies no one is seeing huge profits.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,385,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post

We may prepare more foods ourselves from scratch and may buy more from local growers, though.

And we may turn the thermostat down a degree or two, insulate our homes a little better, and design them with passive heating and cooling elements.

And we may buy vehicles that get 25-30 mpg instead of 12-15 mpg. And we may be more conscious of the trips that we make and whether or not we can combine them or carpool.

The costs of everything are going up, and with the exception of the oil companies no one is seeing huge profits.
I agree 100% with food purchasing. I believe mom and pop shops are going to make a come back. I also think that urban farming is going to sky rocket.

I don't think that the alternative fuel and high gas mileage cars is going to take off to well for all. People live check to check as is. Who is going to buy all these new cars? I think mass transit is going to take off in the coming years. I also think that suburbia is not sustainable long term. I think people will start to move toward city centers. I also think scooters and motorcycles are going to take off, sort of like in certain parts of Europe. WE in America are in for a very big readjustment.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,161,706 times
Quote:
I should stop giving my children milk and cheese since these are the items hardest hit?
Yes, your kids don't need milk and cheese to be healthy.

Quote:
so for half a year it was 2.3 for a year it was 4.5. You don't see the correlation?
Dude, what are you even talking about? Seriously. People are claiming inflation on food is in the 20% over the last six months yet the official figures are only 2.3% Get it? That was my point.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,474,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post

I agree, it will take higher prices before people can change though. Those 12 mpg cars will still sell, the a/c will still be required because the thought of living without one is too much... We have to have our Starbucks, cellphones, 200 + cable channels, premium gasoline, plastic crap from China, and all of life's little necessities

Old 04-03-2008, 03:58 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,898,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
so first some companies give you too little food then they give you too much to make you fat?

I really don't know much about the portion size at restaurants, or why they've gotten so big. Maybe people require more calories now, maybe its a difference in lifestyle, I dont know.

But if you go to a 50's cafe, or go through a museum or exhibit, and see an old movie popcorn bag or replica mcdonalds meal, the meals were very tiny. They'd be considered kids size now.

It might have to do with more marketing saturation now, people are told to buy, buy, buy. Maybe people think they need more, they need the 64 ounce drink. Maybe people arent as active now and they want to eat more.

But the food packaging in markets, its clearly a way for them to get more for less.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
Ok..I'm not crazy here. Last Saturday 1gal of milk was 3.99. Today I stopped in as we ran out and 1gal is now 4.29.

In less than 1 week the price jumped 30 cents. Less than 1 week.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,924,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok..I'm not crazy here. Last Saturday 1gal of milk was 3.99. Today I stopped in as we ran out and 1gal is now 4.29.

In less than 1 week the price jumped 30 cents. Less than 1 week.
I paid $2.99 a gallon on Monday here at the SuperTarget. WOO-HOO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance