Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM

713 posts, read 2,721,139 times

Advertisements

I just got home...gas is $3.64 here in my town. Oh, and our McDonalds is out of fries....again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 06:12 PM

20 posts, read 46,364 times
I feel that everything went up because Bush is in office!!! Just a few weeks ago I read in the newpaper that wheat and everything else was going up!!! Than I pick up the newpaper again just a few days ago saying that this stuff was going up again. This is ridculous!!!! Bush has done nothing for us besides put us to war, raise food, raise gas and raise cigrattes!!! There isn't a such thing as middle class anymore it's either poor or rich!!!! I am in the poor!!! Life is rough and it's just going to get worst!!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:22 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,165,084 times
Quote:
Actually, it was you who tossed out the 20% figure to begin with.
I may have, I've heard so many of this boogyman inflation stories I get them confused with each other. Regardless, people's stories are suggesting rates of inflation much higher than the official figures.

Quote:
We don't get a choice to "seasonally adjust" our paychecks depending on the rise/fall of prices of certain items.
The price increases are not uniform, so you can adjust your sending to in a sense seasonally adjust your paycheck. Raises in fuel costs are a bit harder to avoid though, although there are things you can do there too. But most people feel they are entailed to eat what they usually eat regardless of the market forces.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,392,643 times
read this

link

Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times
Nice article Wild Style. I read about the 50% increase in egg prices.

I raise chickens and sell my eggs. I was selling at $2/doz. That paid expenses (feed, cartons) and gave me a bit extra. Feed prices skyrocketed (thank you ethanol). My price is now $3/doz. I thought I would lose customers but instead I've gotten more because the cost in the supermarket is that high. Farmer's Market vendors are charging $4.50/doz (a bit pricey IMO).

The price increase is directly related to corn/gas increases over the last year. We are seeing that now. Rice/wheat are having problems right now so expect bread to spike sometime next year.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:35 AM

^^

Sweeeet, something to look forward too (I think im going to be sick)

Old 04-05-2008, 10:21 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,567,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, it was you who tossed out the 20% figure to begin with. People were saying that specific items they had purchased had gone up, and they were paying more, sometimes a great deal more, but you put out the 20% figure and then proceeded to knock it down with the government figures. The government figures don't reflect the time period the initial OP was asking about, and even a 4.5% increase last year puts a crimp on many budgets, especially when the cost of fuel has increased so much. The figures also show that food cost inflation is escalating, it is not rising gradually, and this trend is expected to continue. So people have reason to be concerned.
The "tossed out a figure" routine is called a "straw man argument."

Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have you all figured out that "humanoid" is a troll?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:30 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,691,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The price increase is directly related to corn/gas increases over the last year. We are seeing that now. Rice/wheat are having problems right now so expect bread to spike sometime next year.
There are signs in the local pizzeria that say "Due to the wheat shortage/price increase, we unfortunately have to raise our prices"

Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 AM

newtoli,

snap a picture if you can!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
There are signs in the local pizzeria that say "Due to the wheat shortage/price increase, we unfortunately have to raise our prices"
Odd..the wheat shortage didn't happen yet. We are currently in a corn shortage. The wheat is not harvested yet.

Might be the commodity prices though..they go up and they have to take delivery on that price. If they don't have an inventory they have to buy at market prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance