Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,733,428 times

Advertisements

Everyone named items that has gone up in price. I read most of these posts. Not once did anyone say that their salary went up.

Only government workers and Union workers get raises. After that only the best companies will toss a token quarter an hour once a year to their valued employees.

In 10 years all the poor and middle class people will be walking to work and eating bread and rice 3 meals a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,398,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Everyone named items that has gone up in price. I read most of these posts. Not once did anyone say that their salary went up.

Only government workers and Union workers get raises. After that only the best companies will toss a token quarter an hour once a year to their valued employees.

In 10 years all the poor and middle class people will be walking to work and eating bread and rice 3 meals a day.
My salary has gone up, but not at the yearly rate of inflation

As for walking to work. I could be wrong but I think people are going to have to move toward city centers. They are going to have to rely on mass transit. I think our way of life is in transition, big time. In just a few years we will have those "remember when" stories like i grand parents lol

Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,508,182 times
Everyone at my company got a surprise $1,000 bonus two weeks ago. (!)

Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,968,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Everyone at my company got a surprise $1,000 bonus two weeks ago. (!)
We give a Christmas Bonus - it equals one weeks pay usually. Everyone of our employees got a raise this year. We did too. Good year and praying for it to continue. What can I say, we have been VERY BLESSED with MANY good years and I'm VERY thankful for it. Takes being a hardnosed boss sometimes but when employees make mistakes that keep costing us money they soon learn that it ends up costing them too. When we can do the job right the first time that gives more time to add more customers and we can pay more.

We have several that carpool. Being in somewhat of a business that relies HEAVILY on trucks we have seen those costs go up as well. This is one reason why we have gotten onto employees that mess up and cause us to send a truck out all the way across town to take care of a customer that they forgot to check on all of their needs when they were there on their regular scheduled route.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,050,997 times
I usually spend around $120 dollars(sometimes more or less) for groceries,its just me and my girlfriend and we make it last 2 weeks usually, but it seems like we get less for our money every time we go grocery shopping.

after we put up all the groceries,we say "I cant believe thats all we got for whatever we paid"

Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,050,997 times
another thing that has gone up are 20oz cokes,Wal-Mart has them for $1.38 I think it is and they just upped the price on the vending machines to $1.25.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,733,428 times
I go to the same Bagel store about 4 days per week for a quick breakfast. The total comes to $2.14 so I grab the 14 cents from my ashtray and give them the 2 bills.

So just this week I had the $2.14 in my hand while trying to give it to her she said $2.79. I was in shock. What on earth can justify raising the price of a damn bagel 65 cents over night?

I got mad at the girl and she pointed to this chart they so nicely framed and out on the counter for all to see. This chart showed a bar graph and the bi monthly increments for the price of wheat gluten. It showed a very gradual rise for each increment except for March 2008 where it shoots up into orbit. Wheat gluten tripled in price in just a one month period.

What next?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,398,489 times
what next? 3.50 for a loaf of bread by summer. Believe!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,779,557 times
Someone mentioned price of meats and such.....

Three weeks ago, a nice package of chicken might have cost me, 4 maybe 5 bucks....

Today the same damn thing cost me EIGHT DOLLARS. For fricken chicken!

When I drove to the grocery store, the price of gas was 3.29....when I was driving back home, it had gone to 3.35. Six cents in less than an hour! Oy!

Here's something that puzzles me too....a town that is not even 30 miles away from us, has gas prices at 20 cents LESS than our area. Same dealers, same brands and such...so what's up with that? I mean, doesn't BP keep the price the same at all its stations? I mean BP is BP right? Or is it dependent upon the people who run the store?

I guess I just don't get it.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 PM

630 posts, read 1,877,952 times
Anything (cows,chickens,cars,YES cars) that are being fed on grains have been going up for a while,due to the declining dollar,and our misguided energy policies (Ethanol),expect chicken and beef to go down for awhile,but not for a good reason,if grain prices continue to spiral higher,Farmers will continue to kill off herds instead of having to feed them,in the end,a diminished dairy industry will mean even HIGHER prices,Soymilk anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance