Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:10 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,640,378 times

Advertisements

It was only a matter of time with feed costs skyrocketing. Poultry producers are now going to cut back on the supply of chickens.

Pilgrim's Pride to cut chicken supply - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,406,926 times
^^

Wow, this bio fuel crap and speculation is a absolute disaster.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM

6,902 posts, read 22,599,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
On Monday when I picked up two gallons of 2% milk, turned to go down the aisle but happened to glance at the price (I'm bad about not looking at prices of things we HAVE TO HAVE ) it caught my eye.
$2.99

YES that was $2.99 - TWO DOLLARS AND NINETY NINE CENTS! WOO HOO!!! I could not believe it. I had to walk back and look for sure and make sure it was for real. It was.
You are lucky, we've been paying $3.99/gal since the first of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
^^

just to add to that, people are receiving yearly raises of 1.5 to 3.5%. That in no way, shape or form keeps up with inflation.
Not all people are receiving raises. I haven't had a raise in 4 years for fear of pricing myself out of a job. I make good money but am not RICH. I'd rather keep my job than lose it because I make too much for my position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Of course, yes.

I like to calculate it this way. I'll use rough figures since I don't have them right in front of me.

Let's say a prepared bag of something costs me two dollars and a fresh selection of the same costs me one dollar. It takes me five minutes to wash, peel and cut them myself. I've just paid myself a dollar for that five minutes of work. Now say I buy a dozen different things like this over the course of a week. It takes me an hour to prepare them myself but now I've been awarded an extra $12 for my troubles. Over the course of 52 weeks that gives me roughly an extra $624.

Your mileage may vary.
That is a great savings for someone who has the time to spend. Many people don't have the time and that is what costs them big time.

I wish humanoid, that you would include the person's name who you are quoting. I'm tired of watching the few of you argue without realizing who it is that is involved.

I work for a major manufacturer. We have processed many price increases on a good majority of our products this year. Some increases are in the form of less product (i.e., shampoo is now 12.6oz not 13.5oz as it was last year). Have you noticed your toilet tissue seems smaller? We cut a small fraction of the width of the paper sometime ago. Core processing is at the root of these increases and most of that relates to oil prices. Someone asked about junk food...we are also increasing the price of that soon.

If you have the means to stock up before the increases go into effect you should do so on everything that is non-perishable.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:40 PM

I heard a small blurb about retail sales on the news here today. It said that retail sales had not rose last month unless you figured in the cost of gas.

Also heard...McCain says we are in a recession.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:16 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,640,378 times
There was a news article about restaurants sending their chefs to be taught how to downsize their meals in a way that would go unnoticed by the consumer.

Star-Telegram.com: | 04/13/2008 | Pinched by rising costs, eateries put portions on a diet (broken link)

Old 04-14-2008, 03:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,291,169 times
Last I heard about %75 of Americans are overweight. I guess with smaller packaging and reduced sizes we can all tighten our belts a little bit.

Food portions in other countries are definitely smaller... and actually more expensive. Canadians don't even have a super size option at McDonalds.

So, with higher gas prices, we can walk/bicycle more. And with higher food costs, we can eat less.

This will just create a healthier America... hopefully... unless people just end up eating more fast food.... which will probably be the case.

-chuck22b

Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Canadians don't even have a super size option at McDonalds.-chuck22b
Aha, sounds like McD's is at least partly responsible for the obesity problem in the US then.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,291,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Aha, sounds like McD's is at least partly responsible for the obesity problem in the US then.
Na, it's more like American's demand more for the mighty buck :P... we need our super size car, tv, house, boat, truck, RV, etc. etc.. etc... and of course gorge ourselves with food ... after all, we need to keep up our images of prosperity

-chuck22b

Old 04-14-2008, 06:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,406,926 times
Good read

link (broken link)

Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Na, it's more like American's demand more for the mighty buck :P... we need our super size car, tv, house, boat, truck, RV, etc. etc.. etc... and of course gorge ourselves with food ... after all, we need to keep up our images of prosperity -chuck22b
Well that maybe true for some but not for me. I don't drive a super size car, don't have a too big house, can't afford a boat or RV, nevermind the truck and I don't like McD's but we do eat there only occasionally due to time constraints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance