Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 09:29 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am curious what people with large estates and no heirs plan to do with their estates? Anyone want to say? Do you have wills in place?
Before DH died we put everything but the IRAs in a trust in my name since he was 15 years older and unlikely to outlive me. It was carefully written to state what would happen if either of us died and I haven't had it updated since DH died in late 2016 because I;d rather spend the $$ on travel and not lawyers. I know I need to update it.

As it stands, a little goes to my church and then everything else goes to DS, my only child who's now 34, and it's kept in the trust with periodic disbursements. My brother, a CPA, would be the trustee and DS can choose to become one if he wants to. My main concern is that DS gives generously to his church and I want to make sure he keeps enough that he and DDIL can retire comfortably. My brother is also a devout Christian and has lots of money but still manages to enjoy some of it, including a lake house and a new Tesla. I figure he'll give DS some perspective.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:30 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A partner who is onboard with the financial plan is a huge boost to the ability to accumulate wealth.

A divorce is a very quick way to destroy wealth, so if you have a partner, treat them right.

A partner who thinks that the only reason to earn money is to have more to spend and quicker, is going to be a hindrance in life, and that might be the situation where it pays to take the financial hit of a divorce and start over.
i always say , take a picture of everything you own ...then rip it in half ... there is a good chance in a divorce that is your share . but many times in equitable distribution states equitable does not mean equal .

Old 07-27-2019, 10:38 AM

18,107 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am curious what people with large estates and no heirs plan to do with their estates? Anyone want to say? Do you have wills in place?
I'm of the opinion it's important for everyone with an estate of any size to have a will so their remaining assets will be bequeathed according to their wishes and not left up to the state to decide.

Specifically for people with no heirs, they may still have some family and other people who will be included as a beneficiary. In addition, common bequests for estate distribution include charitable organizations, educational foundations and/or endowments, community organizations, medical endowments...the list of options is plentiful.

Those with huge estates (think >$100M level) might have their own foundations and/or choose to fund others' foundations.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:39 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
looks like this topic is tapped out. We have a travel forum and an exercise/fitness forum for those of you who’d like to continue your discussions elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance