Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My company flew me Business Class and I learned to like it. We've (wife and I) probably spent $50K plus on flights the last couple years and enjoyed it much more. I retired in January so I'll have to think about it harder in the future.
My company did 1st class up until 'the witch' arrived (1999) My kids really enjoyed it (International assignments). One works for xxx Foundation so still reaps decent travel benefits.

After retirement... we love to travel, so 'adjusted our expectations' . Normally we book coach and use zillions of miles for upgrades when desired... but my DW has a very strategic boarding process that often reaps great seats. We do every 4th yr intensive international (election yrs GONE from USA) except to vote.

We use the SWA companion pass during 2 yrs in USA (140 free flights last yr) NO first class!, but always qualify for free early boarding (usually A-16)
RV on the 3rd yrs. (few flights).

Being GONE is important to us (while able).

Can be done well on a budget (rental cars are not cheap when you are gone most of the yr,) next time internationally, we will buy a used van and use the 'Hub' travel method.

Would have been nice to have $4m for FIRE, that is what my kid's goals are. (They are smarter than I, as always). Having $4m allows a lot more freedom in choice.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:17 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
I’ve been pretty stingy with travel the 8 years I’ve been with my GF / fiancé but I promised we’ll travel more in the near future, starting next year. We’re doing a later honeymoon somewhere nice and tropical, then a quick trip to SF since somehow she hasn’t been, then thinking a London trip in 2021. Things just get expensive fast and since my dreams cost money too, it’s hard to afford both but I’ll do my best since it’s important to her. I think the biggest problem with me and travel is I have very high standards and even staying at nice places and on the best trip, I won’t prefer it to just being home honestly. But if I travel for a budget I’d never do it again. It’s not fun for me getting worse quality sleep and not having the amenities of home. I think if I had a worse living situation I’d enjoy travel more ironically haha.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:26 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
Quote:
My company flew me Business Class and I learned to like it. We've (wife and I) probably spent $50K plus on flights the last couple years and enjoyed it much more. I retired in January so I'll have to think about it harder in the future.
We’ve been flying Business class to Europe and maybe First class to Japan. Our cost is $2500 for two round trip Business Class. I will be paying $5.60 per ticket for First Class to Japan from LAX. I do play the credit card game. I can spend up to $60k per year on credit card easily.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yikes, $5-$6k a ticket doesnt sound like something i can convince myself to do for a flight unless im paying for a spot on a private jet.

i havent flown on first class since i was a kid and we flew first class to hawaii. that was probably about 25 years ago. i dont even upgrade to economy plus. i feel like spending money on the flight isnt a great value compared to spending money where ill be staying.
I travel to Europe or internationally twice a year and am too stingy to pay for anything, but an economy seat.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I travel to Europe or internationally twice a year and am too stingy to pay for anything, but an economy seat.
How tall are you?

Old 07-16-2019, 11:55 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
1st class or Business Class is definitely worth it when you travel across the big ponds (Atlantic and pacific). It was hard for me to start paying $5-$6K per ticket for wife and I but I finally did just bite the bullet when we travel.
If you have an Amex plat card you can call in a price international business/first class flights with them. If you book a full fare business or first ticket for international travel you can book a companion ticket and just pay the taxes. Full fare can be ridiculously expensive but sometimes it’s not. Worth a check

Old 07-16-2019, 12:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
that sounds awesome and im sure it is awesome. i have fond memories of my one trip where my parents sprung for first class. its just hard for me to not do a value calculation and try to figure out if i feel im getting enough additional utility for my money if i go first class. the difference is just too much for me to figure its worth it.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:52 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that sounds awesome and im sure it is awesome. i have fond memories of my one trip where my parents sprung for first class. its just hard for me to not do a value calculation and try to figure out if i feel im getting enough additional utility for my money if i go first class. the difference is just too much for me to figure its worth it.
I used to think that way. To be fair, when I worked abroad, my company game me $20K/yr for 5 trips home....when I was younger, I travelled economy and pocketed the difference, when I got older, I overspent that amount significantly.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:37 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,295,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Don't go first class. Go business class. All the important perks but a fraction of the cost of first class. Buy tickets 11 months out. The cheaper tickets sell out faster. Then you are stuck with crappy times and the prices go up.
Good advice.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:38 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,295,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Working on million number 5. Achieved the first million at age 49, now 71.

ETA: Never married. Never owned a business.
Start spending my friend! tick tock! hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance