Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 03:30 PM

21,941 posts, read 9,513,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Just turned 65, married and have $4 million. Lived way below my means, used cars, same home for 30 years, etc. Now the hard part, blowing the dust off the wallet and learning how to spend. Two European trips coming up but still can't justify paying for first class on the flights. People say if I don't go first class my kids will on the inheritance. Rethinking my current stance.
Don't go first class. Go business class. All the important perks but a fraction of the cost of first class. Buy tickets 11 months out. The cheaper tickets sell out faster. Then you are stuck with crappy times and the prices go up.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:31 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Main cabin extra/economy plus etc is a decent way to go too without breaking the bank on the longer flights.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:33 PM

30,374 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Just turned 65, married and have $4 million. Lived way below my means, used cars, same home for 30 years, etc. Now the hard part, blowing the dust off the wallet and learning how to spend. Two European trips coming up but still can't justify paying for first class on the flights. People say if I don't go first class my kids will on the inheritance. Rethinking my current stance.
1st class or Business Class is definitely worth it when you travel across the big ponds (Atlantic and pacific). It was hard for me to start paying $5-$6K per ticket for wife and I but I finally did just bite the bullet when we travel.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:58 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
1st class or Business Class is definitely worth it when you travel across the big ponds (Atlantic and pacific). It was hard for me to start paying $5-$6K per ticket for wife and I but I finally did just bite the bullet when we travel.
Yeah I feel this too. I am not the biggest travel fan honestly, it’s not how I get any sense of fulfillment, but my fiancé is and I won’t travel coach for international. 2 hour flights, fine, coach it is. But I’m simply too big of a person to fit into coach seats anymore - I haven’t gotten bigger, they’ve gotten smaller. I have a 32” waist, I’m in perfect shape, but at 180 and muscular my shoulders extend into the nearby seats unless I’m angled oddly and it’s just ridiculous. I decided if I’m going to enjoy traveling at all, I want to do it in style or not at all.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:14 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,706,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
main cabin extra/economy plus etc is a decent way to go too without breaking the bank on the longer flights.
+1

Old 07-15-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah I feel this too. I am not the biggest travel fan honestly, it’s not how I get any sense of fulfillment, but my fiancé is and I won’t travel coach for international. 2 hour flights, fine, coach it is. But I’m simply too big of a person to fit into coach seats anymore - I haven’t gotten bigger, they’ve gotten smaller. I have a 32” waist, I’m in perfect shape, but at 180 and muscular my shoulders extend into the nearby seats unless I’m angled oddly and it’s just ridiculous. I decided if I’m going to enjoy traveling at all, I want to do it in style or not at all.
I'm 6'6" so I really need the space. Wife is 5'4" but she still enjoys the space to lay and sleep. I've flown on flgihts around the world and some of them are just ridiculous how small the seats are.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,748,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Don't go first class. Go business class. All the important perks but a fraction of the cost of first class. Buy tickets 11 months out. The cheaper tickets sell out faster. Then you are stuck with crappy times and the prices go up.
I agree with going business over first...just don't see the value in doing first when you're still going to get a bed (and better meals than economy) in business.

At this point I'm still ok with going to most of Europe in one of the upgraded Economy seats though. Now, somewhere around an 11 hour+ flight is a different story and the line at which for me business starts to seem more reasonable.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
yikes, $5-$6k a ticket doesnt sound like something i can convince myself to do for a flight unless im paying for a spot on a private jet.

i havent flown on first class since i was a kid and we flew first class to hawaii. that was probably about 25 years ago. i dont even upgrade to economy plus. i feel like spending money on the flight isnt a great value compared to spending money where ill be staying.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:41 AM

493 posts, read 443,087 times
I do. NW is at >$2MM right now. Both of us, husband and wife combined..

I'm 42, she's 39.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yikes, $5-$6k a ticket doesnt sound like something i can convince myself to do for a flight unless im paying for a spot on a private jet.

i havent flown on first class since i was a kid and we flew first class to hawaii. that was probably about 25 years ago. i dont even upgrade to economy plus. i feel like spending money on the flight isnt a great value compared to spending money where ill be staying.
My company flew me Business Class and I learned to like it. We've (wife and I) probably spent $50K plus on flights the last couple years and enjoyed it much more. I retired in January so I'll have to think about it harder in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance