Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 11:55 AM

1,212 posts, read 673,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I think I will leave things as they are at the moment. I've only very recently been introduced to the idea of private lessons and the development academy programs, but my kid already knows they exist and what they might add to his experience. I will periodically remind him they are within his reach, but I'm not going to push extra energy towards them. I was very clear in my last conversation that if there is something he wants it's on him to let me know: This is his experience, not mine.

He's content with both his team and his coach. After probing him on and off this week I think that's all he wants right now. If he were really interested in becoming Mr. Mega Soccer Star he would be aspiring to go to the next level no matter the other players or the coach and also taking me up on the offers. This is an example of an actual conversation from last weekend:

Me: If you want to, you can do the finishing camp this week.

Son: But it'll cost money and I know you're trying to pay off the mortgage..

Me: Yes, but it's okay. If you want to do it, you can do it.

Son: We're too poor. Look at my clothes... they all come from the thrift shop!

Me: Now that's just BS... we're careful with money. As I recall you were pretty happy with the shorts you found last week.... Look, all I'm saying is if you want to do the finishing camp, you can do it.

Son: Well, who are the coaches doing it?

Me: I have no clue.

Son: Nah, I'm good.

See what I mean? He's deflecting.

I have been reacting to other parents and what they are saying about my son or what they are doing with their own children but if I look at what my kid only, I see someone who is happy to chat all day about soccer and to play on a good team and have a coach who he admires and adores and that's where it stops.
Man I can't imagine having conversations with my parents about how they need to pay off their mortgage when I was 14. That would have been been really weird!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Chasing a kid around the countryside attending sporting events sounds like a horrible way to spend your life. It's also a sign that you have way way way too much money.
Jealous much?

Old 08-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I'm learning as the season progresses, but I'm certainly not going to invest time outside of his games/practices to pick it up.
Why not? It certainly couldn't take more than a few hours and is clearly something the rest of your family has an interest in...

Old 08-19-2019, 12:29 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,685,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Why not? It certainly couldn't take more than a few hours and is clearly something the rest of your family has an interest in...
Well, there you are totally wrong. My husband would only watch the world cup games if he was invited to a pub or if Mexico was playing. Otherwise, no, he's not into anything except complaining about politics.

And I have another son, but he loves Doctor Who and LEGO Bionicle. He has autism.

I will learn as much about soccer as I've had to learn about the various doctors and companions.

And I flat our refuse to participate in political rants. What a waste of time! I just listen to my husband and nod my head as he blows off steam. He's not really looking for a discussion, he just needs to vent.

The three of them are deep into their own thing. My job is to keep everyone fed, comfortable and content and ensure that this continues indefinitely (through personal finance habits). Awesome life!

Old 08-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Well, there you are totally wrong. My husband would only watch the world cup games if he was invited to a pub or if Mexico was playing. Otherwise, no, he's not into anything except complaining about politics.

And I have another son, but he loves Doctor Who and LEGO Bionicle. He has autism.

I will learn as much about soccer as I've had to learn about the various doctors and companions.

And I flat our refuse to participate in political rants. What a waste of time! I just listen to my husband and nod my head as he blows off steam. He's not really looking for a discussion, he just needs to vent.

The three of them are deep into their own thing. My job is to keep everyone fed, comfortable and content and ensure that this continues indefinitely (through personal finance habits). Awesome life!
Well sure. I'm not saying that you have to start regularly watching premier league games, but it might be nice to at least have a passing understanding so you can at least talk to your son about his performance in his games. Like "that was a great header today" or "you had an awesome pass to Billy to help set up that goal" or whatever. I can assure you that when I was growing up playing sports having my parents take an interest was definitely a positive experience.

Interestingly I didn't really care if they were as interested in learning about my LEGOs (other than buying them!) or whatever the TV show de jour was. Not sure why it mattered so much more in sports.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Well sure. I'm not saying that you have to start regularly watching premier league games, but it might be nice to at least have a passing understanding so you can at least talk to your son about his performance in his games. Like "that was a great header today" or "you had an awesome pass to Billy to help set up that goal" or whatever. I can assure you that when I was growing up playing sports having my parents take an interest was definitely a positive experience.

Interestingly I didn't really care if they were as interested in learning about my LEGOs (other than buying them!) or whatever the TV show de jour was. Not sure why it mattered so much more in sports.
A related story from the weekend..

I went to a coffee shop and for whatever reason they had the TV on to the Man City vs Spurs game (usually it's nothing or sometimes American football). I was texting updates to my husband who was at a tournament waiting for my son's game. I watched Man City hit a header, but I didn't know what it was called at that moment. I told him "Man City just scored a head butt goal, but I'm sure it's called something else".

Header, head butt'er.. the point is the ball went into the net.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:06 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,268,933 times
Quote:
A related story from the weekend..

I went to a coffee shop and for whatever reason they had the TV on to the Man City vs Spurs game (usually it's nothing or sometimes American football). I was texting updates to my husband who was at a tournament waiting for my son's game. I watched Man City hit a header, but I didn't know what it was called at that moment. I told him "Man City just scored a head butt goal, but I'm sure it's called something else".

Header, head butt'er.. the point is the ball went into the net.
Keep on watching those premier league matches- great stuff!

Seriously though, you can find a ‘soccer explained’ video on youtube rather quickly. Not time consuming at all.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:11 PM

Recent events over the weekend led me to update this thread..

To whoever said that soccer would be replaced by GIRLS... You nailed it.

At least I know where I don't need to put my money...

and now I need to have a few words with that kid, but about an entirely different matter...

Parenting is awesome!

Old 10-03-2019, 06:57 AM

7,493 posts, read 6,281,840 times
Quote:
Recent events over the weekend led me to update this thread..

To whoever said that soccer would be replaced by GIRLS... You nailed it.

At least I know where I don't need to put my money...

and now I need to have a few words with that kid, but about an entirely different matter...

Parenting is awesome!
I refer you back to post 51.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:03 AM

96 posts, read 70,198 times
I know this has primarily been laid to rest as OP's son seems content doing what he's doing, but, I did note a response or 2 along the way that referenced potential injury that could derail the whole future ride. A very similar situation happened to my neighbor's son.

This kid played from a very young age in the town rec league where dad coached. He went on to be a "star" on the high school team and played club level as well. Received all american honors, won national club titles etc.He was recruited and received a scholarship to a good school (div 1) and by all accounts had a very good shot of making the mens national team, was named all american in college. Until, he was injured in college and that seriously dampened his career trajectory. The parents were/are very well off and went as far as becoming part owners of an indoor soccer/gym to essentially have unlimited field time for training as the kid was getting more serious. Any hope of playing as a pro went away with this injury, but he did continue to be involved with soccer since it was his life. He went on to coach at club and higher level teams and is now a recruiter. As others have said, this may be a passing phase, but, could also be something where you end up having a career in something you love down the road even if it doesn't involve being a player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance