Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 08:32 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times

Advertisements

No..... he said he would tackle the debt. But he was out of work for three months.

You say why assume he'll lose his job?
Chances are that, no, he won't lose this new one any time soon.

But......that's one of the reasons people have an EF so IF they lose their job, the wolf isn't at the door the next week and they're not putting debt on credit cards -- and adding to the debt they're trying to get out of.

And that's how people get behind, NOT assuming something unexpected will happen.
And more and more things that happen cost more than 1K.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd trade being in debt but paying it down (with an EF in your pocket) in exchange for...... in debt, no EF and being one paycheck from not paying next month's or maybe even the rest of this month's bills.

But whatever.....I do what helps me sleep at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 08:54 PM

24,608 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
*simple minded* people benefit from his simple minded approach.

He loses me with his "pay off the lowest balance first" approach, which is mathematically incompetent.
Personal finance isn’t just about math, it’s about emotion and psychology.

Paying off the lowest balance first allows someone to get a quick win, and is wasn’t invented by Dave Ramsey.

It’s called the debt snowball method.
Quote:
If you think small victories will provide you with the motivation you need to pay off your debt, the debt snowball method could be just the ticket for eliminating your debt.
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/debt-...-how-it-works/

Instant gratification is how people get into debt. Instant gratification, via paying off the smallest balance first and getting a quick victory, is how people can get out of it too.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:15 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
No..... he said he would tackle the debt. But he was out of work for three months.

You say why assume he'll lose his job?
Chances are that, no, he won't lose this new one any time soon.

But......that's one of the reasons people have an EF so IF they lose their job, the wolf isn't at the door the next week and they're not putting debt on credit cards -- and adding to the debt they're trying to get out of.

And that's how people get behind, NOT assuming something unexpected will happen.
And more and more things that happen cost more than 1K.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd trade being in debt but paying it down (with an EF in your pocket) in exchange for...... in debt, no EF and being one paycheck from not paying next month's or maybe even the rest of this month's bills.

But whatever.....I do what helps me sleep at night.
I missed that episode. Any idea what kind of debt this is? If it's 80K in credit debt then he needs to pay that down as fast as he can. Having 8K sitting in his checking account while interest is rapidly accruing on his credit card debt is not serving him well.

The minimum payments on those cards, alone, must be astronomical.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:38 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
*simple minded* people benefit from his simple minded approach.

He loses me with his "pay off the lowest balance first" approach, which is mathematically incompetent.
As mentioned above likely scenarios and mathematically optimal aren’t always the same. Paying the lowest balance first is all about engagement, seeing progress sooner and sticking to the plan which overtime does produce better results than folks washing out and never seeing it through.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:52 AM

303 posts, read 237,608 times
Chicken:egg thing here.

If you're uneducated enough to buy a timeshare in the first place, then OF COURSE you think that there's a magic and expensive way to just get out of it.

And, OF COURSE, if Dave endorses the method, then obviously this Magic and Expensive way works.

I used to drive a lot and would listen to him from time to time; his callers are consistently not very bright and very susceptible to being manipulated. He could tell them to lick pickles in the dark and they'd do it.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:25 AM

3,041 posts, read 3,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I missed that episode. Any idea what kind of debt this is? If it's 80K in credit debt then he needs to pay that down as fast as he can. Having 8K sitting in his checking account while interest is rapidly accruing on his credit card debt is not serving him well.

The minimum payments on those cards, alone, must be astronomical.
Does not matter between credit card, car loan, student loan debt. Most likely the credit card could have lowest balance but high interest rate.

So the idea is probably to pay the credit cards off first. A quick win to get small issues out of the way.

He usually does say to pay minimum payments & be current on all accounts. Then you don't have late fees or other charges building up.

On the car loan could be difficult to find cheap used Toyota that runs like a top instead of paying off $30k loan.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:54 AM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Does not matter between credit card, car loan, student loan debt. Most likely the credit card could have lowest balance but high interest rate.

So the idea is probably to pay the credit cards off first. A quick win to get small issues out of the way.

He usually does say to pay minimum payments & be current on all accounts. Then you don't have late fees or other charges building up.

On the car loan could be difficult to find cheap used Toyota that runs like a top instead of paying off $30k loan.
This isn't going to get better for him as long as he takes a half arsed approach. Sounds like the guy needs to move back home and live with his parents while he gets these loans paid off or he can share a place with a roommate or two to keep his expenses down.

My guess is this guy is not fresh out of college and that he's been living above his means for awhile. 80K doesn't just "suddenly" happen. That took some doing on his part and it's going to take some doing on his part to pay it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance