Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 11:49 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times

Advertisements

Dave Ramsey is only good for people who can't figure out personal finance on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 11:56 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
When I first heard about Ramsey and looked at his baby steps, I knew things were going well when I was already on step 6 and 7. I learned important financial lessons early in life.

Old 06-28-2023, 03:40 PM

602 posts, read 287,944 times
I find his radio program entertaining. He has solid basic advice especially for those struggling and in debt. His advice is less useful for those with decent savings and investments with little or no debt. Personally, I never agreed with his views on paying off a mortgage early when rates were 3% or a low interest auto-loan. Other than that, his baby steps are solid. He should probably update the baby step 1 emergency fund of $1000 to $2000 due to inflation. Car repairs have risen drastically in the past few years.

Old 06-28-2023, 05:56 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
This is the first time that I listened to a DR video, after hearing the phony southern accent and the many biblical phrases, I knew I must be sitting in the wrong pew. After getting his most enthusiastic response from the comment about his gun carry permit, I also knew he was preaching to the right audience.

Old 07-02-2023, 01:31 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Ramsey's good at giving suboptimal advice to financial morons bc it's a lot better than what they're currently doing.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:34 PM

717 posts, read 618,927 times
Not impressed. I noticed Dave never really answers the question and just beats around the bush with non sense generic conversation that doesn't really consist of any "advice". Where the person got the money, what did so and so do for a living.

A bunch of fluff but no substance

Old 07-03-2023, 05:51 PM

323 posts, read 135,310 times
One cannot give meaningful financial advice after listening to someone describe their financial situation for 20 seconds.

Ramsey is not in the financial advice business; he's in the infotainment business.

Old 07-07-2023, 04:16 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Watching a reply on one of his shows reminded me my I can't be a fan of all of his advice.
Caller:
-- fully funded emergency fund (he never asks exactly what she means by that)
-- saving 22% of income toward retirement
-- paid off house (He did ask how that happened. She didn't answer that, just nervously chuckled "I know please don't beat me up for that.")

-- 22K to buy the car she's leasing. Said Kelly Blue Book on the car is 27K
-- she makes $41K

He said that's a lot of car for only making 41K, and asked if she could pay it off right away. She said she would have to eat into her emergency fund. And at first he said so do that. THEN he asked how much she made. She said 41K. Then he said don't tap that EF. (Not even know how much she has.)

Despite her first three positive factors, he told her to sell the car and make 5K on it. He never explicitly said by a 5K car with that "profit" or said take that five pull some out of EF and get, say a 10K car for cash. So no he provided no guidance there.

-- She never answered how the house got paid off.
-- He never asked just how much EF she had.

So even with a paid off house, and "fully funded" EF and saving 22% for retirement -- he still didn't want the woman to keep her car and just pay it off as quickly as she could.

Can someone please tell me how car leases work?. The caller said she owed 22K, and KBB value was 27K.
1) Can she sell a car she's leasing?
2) If she wants to "trade it in" does the dealer HAVE to give her that 27K, if she only owes 22K on it?

It was clear to me the caller knows nothing about money because at one point she asked should I sell the car for the 27K and just cut her losses. Dave pointed that owing 22K and selling for 27K isn't "cutting your losses." She may have seen divesting her self from or getting rid of the car as "cutting her loss." But it's still not "cutting a loss."

Last edited by selhars; 07-07-2023 at 04:30 AM..

Old 07-07-2023, 08:52 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Watching a reply on one of his shows reminded me my I can't be a fan of all of his advice.
Caller:
-- fully funded emergency fund (he never asks exactly what she means by that)
-- saving 22% of income toward retirement
-- paid off house (He did ask how that happened. She didn't answer that, just nervously chuckled "I know please don't beat me up for that.")

-- 22K to buy the car she's leasing. Said Kelly Blue Book on the car is 27K
-- she makes $41K

He said that's a lot of car for only making 41K, and asked if she could pay it off right away. She said she would have to eat into her emergency fund. And at first he said so do that. THEN he asked how much she made. She said 41K. Then he said don't tap that EF. (Not even know how much she has.)

Despite her first three positive factors, he told her to sell the car and make 5K on it. He never explicitly said by a 5K car with that "profit" or said take that five pull some out of EF and get, say a 10K car for cash. So no he provided no guidance there.

-- She never answered how the house got paid off.
-- He never asked just how much EF she had.

So even with a paid off house, and "fully funded" EF and saving 22% for retirement -- he still didn't want the woman to keep her car and just pay it off as quickly as she could.

Can someone please tell me how car leases work?. The caller said she owed 22K, and KBB value was 27K.
1) Can she sell a car she's leasing?
2) If she wants to "trade it in" does the dealer HAVE to give her that 27K, if she only owes 22K on it?

It was clear to me the caller knows nothing about money because at one point she asked should I sell the car for the 27K and just cut her losses. Dave pointed that owing 22K and selling for 27K isn't "cutting your losses." She may have seen divesting her self from or getting rid of the car as "cutting her loss." But it's still not "cutting a loss."
As many others have said, he's best for people who are in debt or have nothing and are just starting to save. His "baby steps" are good advice for someone just starting out.

A fully funded EF in his case is 3-6 months of living expenses. It's likely he didn't ask her the amount because he knows what it equals and he doesn't want her to touch it, in case of job loss or sickness, etc.

Would I sell the car? No. But in her/his case maybe he wants her to sell it because 1) it's a lease and there are hidden fees upon turn in and 2) there is equity in the lease so it's likely he is having her tap into that equity to purchase a more reasonable vehicle. It's not a terrible move IMO, but probably not something I would do.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:32 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
^^ You and me both.

I've never leased. That's why I was curious about the 5K "equity."

Can she sell a car she's leasing?
And does the dealer have to give her that 5K spread?
If not there goes the whole rationale.

Unless the dealer thinks they can get that 27 K for the car she turns in, what's in it for them to give her more than she owes on it. Especially, if she wants a cheaper car, especially from somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance