Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 05:45 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, he's a genius. He tells people making 6 figures that if they will just cut back on luxury items they can save money and pay off debt. He's brilliant.

If caller are struggling on lower incomes (which is most of America), he tells them they have an "income" problem. His suggestion is often to just go out and get an extra job "delivering pizzas".
Apparently, delivering pizzas is paying very well these days. Who knew?

Also, be sure to pay cash for your car. Don't you know there are lots of great, reliable used cars out there for sale for $5,000? He says there is. I haven't seen such a thing in about 20 years.

Additionally, most people these days are not using credit cards for frivolous wants. They are using them for emergencies because years of stagnant wages have made it very difficult to build savings.

I think he is a snide sounding, out-of-touch jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 05:53 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Whoopsie:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...share-lawsuit/

Timeshare Exit Team told the Morrills that it would cost them more than $41,000 to get them out of their timeshare. The couple agreed to do so, figuring they could put the financial mishap behind them, according to prosecutors.

Yet once the contract with Timeshare Exit Team was executed in May 2020, the company allegedly advised the couple that their $41,200 contract with them would make it harder to get out of the timeshare contract with Diamond Resorts, the lawsuit claims. After advising the Morrills to not tell the timeshare company of their efforts to get out of the timeshare, Timeshare Exit Team allegedly suggested that the couple stop making payments on the agreement. When Diamond Resorts put the couple into collections for their lack of payment, Timeshare Exit Team stopped returning calls from the Morrills, the lawsuit says. The experience devastated the couple’s credit.
When it comes to time shares, just say NO. I once went to a time share presentation for the freebies. I would rather be kicked in the groin area with a steel toed boot than go to another presentation.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:22 AM

2,746 posts, read 1,779,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
When it comes to time shares, just say NO. I once went to a time share presentation for the freebies. I would rather be kicked in the groin area with a steel toed boot than go to another presentation.
I actually managed to get thrown out of a presentation (still got the freebies). Seems the salesman got a little touchy when I pressed him about getting the financials for the development he was peddling, he'd only give the financials for a broker they recommended for selling weeks you wouldn't be using.

Had a nice time at Sea World though.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:58 PM

271 posts, read 293,697 times
To play devil's advocate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Oh yeah, he's a genius. He tells people making 6 figures that if they will just cut back on luxury items they can save money and pay off debt. He's brilliant.
People making 6 figures (low 6 figures at least) are his target audience. Most of his callers are upper-middle class people with spending problems. They can certainly afford to have a comfortable life, but live like they're rich and as a consequence they're deep in debt.

Quote:
If caller are struggling on lower incomes (which is most of America), he tells them they have an "income" problem. His suggestion is often to just go out and get an extra job "delivering pizzas". Apparently, delivering pizzas is paying very well these days. Who knew?
What other advice do you have for such people? You can hold your breath and hope that the government raises the minimum wage or cancels student loan debt, but that's not going to happen. Getting an extra job can raise your income substantially.

Quote:
Also, be sure to pay cash for your car. Don't you know there are lots of great, reliable used cars out there for sale for $5,000? He says there is. I haven't seen such a thing in about 20 years.
You also don't need to drive an $80,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. this is Dave's typical response when a caller drives a $50,000+ new car and is deep in debt because of it. Dave's advice is out of date but you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a reliable car. And paying cash is the best option because most people are financing cars they can't afford.

Quote:
Additionally, most people these days are not using credit cards for frivolous wants. They are using them for emergencies because years of stagnant wages have made it very difficult to build savings.
Maybe, but that doesn't negate the fact that there are many people using credit cards for frivolous things.

Quote:
I think he is a snide sounding, out-of-touch jerk.
No disagreement there.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:33 PM

17,273 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Time share is a racket.........got it.

I've gone on some pretty insane trips and RARELY return to the same destination but certainly not annually. With VRBO why would you even want a 2nd home or timeshare? Rent for a week, save for 51 more weeks!

Old 06-21-2023, 05:31 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondbreakfast View Post

People making 6 figures (low 6 figures at least) are his target audience. Most of his callers are upper-middle class people with spending problems. They can certainly afford to have a comfortable life, but live like they're rich and as a consequence they're deep in debt.

What other advice do you have for such people? You can hold your breath and hope that the government raises the minimum wage or cancels student loan debt, but that's not going to happen. Getting an extra job can raise your income substantially.

You also don't need to drive an $80,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. this is Dave's typical response when a caller drives a $50,000+ new car and is deep in debt because of it. Dave's advice is out of date but you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a reliable car. And paying cash is the best option because most people are financing cars they can't afford.

Maybe, but that doesn't negate the fact that there are many people using credit cards for frivolous things.

No disagreement there.

While I agree with all of this, I am saying that he is not some kind of financial genius or brilliant guru for pointing out these things. Aren't they all just common sense? Isn't it fairly simple that if you don't live within your means you will get into financial trouble and a lot of debt? Adjusting your spending when you make enough money to live comfortably just by cutting out extra luxuries is not some miracle. Or maybe I'm wrong and a lot of people don't know this simple wisdom and need to be told these things. Wouldn't you think that people with enough intelligence to make six figures would already possess enough common sense to figure this out on their own? Maybe not. If that's the case, I guess Dave deserves credit for tapping into this and being hugely successful at it.

Old 06-21-2023, 06:02 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Or maybe I'm wrong and a lot of people don't know this simple wisdom and need to be told these things. Wouldn't you think that people with enough intelligence to make six figures would already possess enough common sense to figure this out on their own?
This. Have you ever heard the phrase “a fool and his money are soon parted?” Many people, regardless of intelligence, make very foolish money decisions. As Dave Ramsey says, “common sense is so rare today, if you have it, it’s like a super power.” Sadly, he is 100% correct.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:30 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
This. Have you ever heard the phrase “a fool and his money are soon parted?” Many people, regardless of intelligence, make very foolish money decisions.
Agreed 100%. People have lots of reasons why they overspend and/or do not save adequately, ranging from jealousy to insecurity to making up for a deprived childhood, etc. You can be an intelligent, successful person and be horrible in managing money. I am an attorney and have seen it many, many times.

Old 06-22-2023, 12:20 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondbreakfast View Post

Paying cash isn't the best option though. Currently have close to 50k car note. The interest rate isn't spectacular at 4.5% but with inflation what it is right now also not terrible. I don't leave that kind of money stuffed in a savings account making .15% interest to pay cash. What I do leave in checking/money markets is an emergency fund, not my buy a vehicle mattress stuffing fund. I do have enough outside of tax deferred retirement accounts I could pay cash. Liquidating them to pay cash though isn't the best options.

Nobody needs a 50k car. It's a luxury purchase that you make because you can afford it and want to spend your money on it. I had my budget I was comfortable spending which really has nothing to do with affordability. If I wanted to liquidate investments I could have paid cash for a more expensive car and the amount that banks will lend to you is way more than I'd be comfortable with.

The problem with "cash is the best option" mentality for people who have to spend all their money is they still have to spend all their money. Rather than doing something financially intelligent, they're relying on really a stupid rule that limits how stupid they can be. That's dumb. If cashed out my non-tax deferred investments and drained my bank accounts, I could go pay cash for a 125k Lucid Air, Porsche Taycan, or Tesla Plaid. I have absolutely no business paying that much for a car. The reason I could is because I don't have the spend all the money mentality.

Old 06-22-2023, 12:24 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
actually at 70 we are well situated financially and my reward is going to be a porsche macan T.

i always loved cars but so far while owning quite a few bmws i never spent as much as i will on what will likely be my last high end vehicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance