Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2023, 12:45 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,297,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
My mom has been in assisted living, and now memory care. The total time for both now is nearly four years. She does have a LTC policy which helps tremendously. That benefit plus her SS had been covering the cost, although that's no longer true after this year's rate increase.

I wouldn't mind carrying some LTC insurance, but there's really no way to plan. How much could the premium increase over the next 20 years? 2x? 5x? 10x? There seems no way to guess, and I'm loath to pay into a policy for years and then end up having to abandon it late in life.
I was talking to a LTC insurance company recently, and I was told that in the traditional plan (not whole life or universal life with an LTC rider) that the increase percentages are set by the state you live in. I don't know what those numbers would be at the moment, but if it's set by the state it might be to control them so they don't get unaffordable. Of course, what is affordable to one person might be out of the range for someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Yes, you continue paying for it. If you're wealthy enough to think you don't need it, then you're wealthy enough to keep paying for it, right?
No, not really. If you have enough wealth that having to pay for long-term care costs out of your own pocket doesn't significantly impact your retirement plans, then getting coverage doesn't sound vital. People forget that those insurance premiums add up over time. So if you have the wealth, you would be paying for a policy that if you had a claimable event, it wouldn't financially matter if you had LTC insurance or not.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I suspect a number of LTCI companies are going to be in a bind as people age and live longer. They will be forced to pay more and more out. Some of these companies likely will not survive; even if they do premiums are likely to escalate to the point that many will not be able to continue to pay. If I was going to do LTC, it would only be with an insurance company that does business in a number of areas and only with one that has very high ratings (ie., Comdex score).
Companies that wrote these policies years ago are trying to get out of them. A relative of mine who turned 65 years of age this year, got a letter with a policy surrender offer from his LTC insurance company. They are offering to pay him like $30K as a lump sum payment to end his policy. He reviewed his original policy and doesn't even mention this is an option.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That is for sure. Several years ago, a distant family member (in his 20's) was teaching his martial arts class and suffered a paralyzing accident. He is in a wheelchair and paralyzed from the neck down. I can't even imagine the costs that the family has had to bear. The parents have become his caregivers, and when they can no longer manage it, his siblings will take over.
When you are young and healthy you can't imagine getting diabetes, arthritis, heart problems, etc., where you have difficulty taking care of yourself without assistance. The idea of saving money and getting insurance seems like a limit on your lifestyle. But one day, if you are lucky, you will get old and then you will be so glad you did plan for these things. I know some people combat these things by living more healthy, but as I have heard seniors say "getting old isn't for sissies."

Old 10-11-2023, 01:16 AM

106,964 posts, read 109,241,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I was talking to a LTC insurance company recently, and I was told that in the traditional plan (not whole life or universal life with an LTC rider) that the increase percentages are set by the state you live in. I don't know what those numbers would be at the moment, but if it's set by the state it might be to control them so they don't get unaffordable. Of course, what is affordable to one person might be out of the range for someone else.
the increases are approved by the state not set by the state ….each company’s request is different

our plan got a 68% ncrease approved and is speed over a 3 year period , increasing more and more each year

Old 10-11-2023, 10:17 AM

13,101 posts, read 7,571,203 times
Quote:
My mom has been in assisted living, and now memory care. The total time for both now is nearly four years. She does have a LTC policy which helps tremendously. That benefit plus her SS had been covering the cost, although that's no longer true after this year's rate increase.

snip..
this is what we envision: LTCi to cover a part. SS to cover a part. and IRA & other personal retirement funds to cover a part.

You may want to review the policy.
Our policies have a waiver of premium if collecting the LTC benefit.
YPMV

Old 10-11-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:

IMO, there should be a way for married people to legally separate their assets without getting divorced. Then, for example, if I needed LTC my half of the assets would be fair game, but I wouldn't have to worry about my wife being left in a financial bind. Is there a way to accomplish this?
There are: Trusts, IRA's, Annuities. Single ownership of accounts. But the issue is how much will the spouse commit personal assets to the spouse in LTC. or If the spouse signs away the assets in a lien upon those personal assets. That is my understanding and how we set up our plans. Best planning is still a future guess.

See your legal advisor.
YAMV

Old 10-11-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
...snip
I wouldn't mind carrying some LTC insurance, but there's really no way to plan. How much could the premium increase over the next 20 years? 2x? 5x? 10x? There seems no way to guess, and I'm loath to pay into a policy for years and then end up having to abandon it late in life.

snip...
It's insurance. You are buying a risk management product not an asset.
I kinda look at the issue (any insurance) is that one either, Assume all monetary risk for that hazard or you "buy" insurance for that monetary risk.
We don't expect to see any premium refunds for Life Insurance, Car Insurance, or Property-Personal Liability Insurance.

YIMV

Old 10-11-2023, 03:55 PM

6,640 posts, read 4,339,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the increases are approved by the state not set by the state ….each company’s request is different

our plan got a 68% ncrease approved and is speed over a 3 year period , increasing more and more each year
States are in a bind. They don't won't to lose insurers, so they usually go along with the premium increases.

Old 10-11-2023, 05:31 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,946,626 times
Someone with under $50k in assets (there are actually millions of them) doesn't need it. Not enough assets to protect. And most millionaires can afford to pay two years of care, especially if they have high Social Security payouts. For the rest it's a gamble. Only about 1/8 of those over 75 need it for over two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance