Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 06:01 AM

938 posts, read 425,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That lifetime National Park Pass that you become eligible to buy at the age of 62 for $80 (includes two people) sounds like a good deal to me. I can see giving one of those to my husband when he turns 62 as part of his birthday present, I wonder if I could be on his pass and get in for free or if I also have to be 62 before I can enjoy that perk.

As far as an AARP membership goes. Are they worth it?
We use the lifetime pass mainly for half off at national and BLM campgrounds when we RV which is 5 to 7 months of the year. If one can show that they are disabled they can get the access pass for free at any age. I also have my lifetime military pass that does the same for free access to national parks but no camping discounts. Both are connected to the name, not vehicle.

As for AARP, I’ve had it for a few years and I don’t plan to renew anymore. They bombard you with mailings and emails for life insurance, car insurance and lots of other things we don’t need. Their newspaper has some reading material like how to not get scammed and such. I’ve lost interest in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 06:21 AM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
That lifetime National Park Pass that you become eligible to buy at the age of 62 for $80 (includes two people) sounds like a good deal to me. I can see giving one of those to my husband when he turns 62 as part of his birthday present, I wonder if I could be on his pass and get in for free or if I also have to be 62 before I can enjoy that perk.
From their website:
The Senior Pass admits the pass owner and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas, and pass owner + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, where per-person fees are charged. (Children under 16 are always admitted free.)
Note: Photo identification will be requested to verify pass ownership.

ETA: I know this works. When we had our daughter and her husband in the rental car, we all got in free.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 11-20-2023 at 06:32 AM..

Old 11-20-2023, 02:30 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I will vouch for not cheezing out on sneakers. Spend the money and get a good pair.

In 2016, I fell down some stairs and injured my back in the lumbar region. Didn't hurt my spine, but badly hurt the muscles. I recovered about 95%, but that 5% still lets me know it's there and locks up on me sometimes.

The PT guy I saw told me to stop wearing heels. I said, "I am six feet tall, I never wear heels, what are you talking about?"

He pointed at my short boots, which had maybe a 3/4-inch heel, and said, "That still throws your back off. Listen, people will spend $100 on one dinner at a restaurant, but they buy cheap sneakers. Go down to <local running store> and spend the money and get a good pair of running shoes, even if you are not a runner. It will make a difference."

So, I went. It's the type of store where they have you walk on a treadmill thing, an image is taken of your feet, you are properly sized, etc., and then they recommend a good running shoe for you. I ended up with Nikes, but that's not the only brand that's good, it's just that they had them in my size and the style I needed. You can also save a few bucks if you don't need the latest fashion and get last year's color/style on sale. Eventually, I bought other pairs in different colors, including when Sports Authority was going out of business.

I wear running shoes 90% of the time now. When I have to wear other shoes, I do notice that my back has more of a tendency to lock up again. Good running shoes are so worth the money. Thanks, Raj the PT guy.
When I retired, in my retirement physical they listed Mortons neuroma [a painful nerve growth in my feed] caused by wearing issue boots for 20 years. They gave me an offer for a military HM corpsman to cut open my foot and dig it out, but warned me that it would grow back in 8 years. Or the proper way to fix it was to see a civilian foot doctor for a prescription orthopedic insole [for a $300 co-pay] and wear the insoles for the rest of my life.

I soon found that Red Wing boot dealerships, can diagnose the insoles and they provide them for $20 a pair.

21 years later, I have never had a recurrence of Mortons Neuroma in my feet, though I do wear the insoles.

Old 11-20-2023, 02:54 PM

6,765 posts, read 5,069,067 times
Quote:
It's an individual pass, although anyone in the same vehicle as the passholder will also be admitted when you visit a park. If you want your own pass you'll need to wait until you are 62, but if the two of you always travel together there's no need to have your own. To get it at the $80 price you need to buy in person. You can buy online, but there's an additional fee. I don't recall how much it is.

Old 11-20-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
About 10 years ago now (maybe a little longer) I bought my National Park Senior Pass for $10. The $10 fee was a special promotion.
My step-father in the mid-1970s had a 'Golden Eagle' pass. It lasted for this entire lifetime, and it was good for all National Parks. We lived near Yosemite and went there dozens of times each year.

He made good use of that card.

I have thought about such a pass now, but I do not live near any National Park that I care to visit.

Old 11-22-2023, 04:17 AM

774 posts, read 1,050,420 times
Quote:

As far as an AARP membership goes. Are they worth it?
America the Beautiful - The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Series
Each pass covers entrance fees at lands managed by the National Park Service and US Fish & Wildlife Service and also standard amenity fees (day use fees) at lands managed by the US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Army Corps of Engineers.

New in 2024, all passes will have one signature line for a single passholder. A pass covers the pass owner and all occupants in a personal vehicle at sites that charge per vehicle or, the pass owner and up to three additional adults (16 and over) at sites that charge per person. Children ages 15 or under are admitted free.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:12 PM

I just got an email talking about a Free lifetime pass to all National Parks for veterans and Gold Star family members.

https://news.va.gov/110751/free-life...tional-parks/?

Old 11-23-2023, 07:50 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,866,614 times
Sorry, meant to say "LTC."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance