Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 06:17 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's not cruel at all. It's practical. I'd go so far as saying get it all prepaid now but I have no idea for sure where we are going to end up, so no sense on setting that all in stone now.

Roughly how much is burial insurance?

Depends on the wishes of the purchaser.

Failing that someone can set aside an amount with instructions. No guarantees but at least they tried.

IIRC a friend told me that on her grandmother's burial insurance, the funds were legally documented/guaranteed to be paid to a specific funeral home, so that cut out any delay or drama about the speed of getting the services paid for ASAP.

I'm just going to come out and say this, in most cases the most well-to-do relatives of a decedent "whip out a credit card" to get the services paid for, and then ask for re-imbursement later. It's horrible, causes awkward conversations and estrangement, but such is life.

So prepaying for your burial is your last gift to your relatives you actually like.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 07:17 PM

11,026 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1 out of 8 ain't bad (I bought my Golden Access National Park pass the first day I was eligible). Countless entries and $5 camping since.

The other stuff... (AARP, Athletic shoes, dental work... I don't sweat, nor am I interested... yet). Investments... insurance... kinda late. Wish I had a dad who at age 18;would have said... "You know... if you buy that apartment building, mobile home park, commercial site.... you will never have to work 3500hrs / yr, or save pitiful pennies for retirement."

Maybe I'll buy an air conditioner for car or house if this annual heat wave becomes the norm. Or.... I can just go to my beautiful view daylight basement (57f). Or ride my motorcycle through the sprinklers at the cemetery on hot days. The kids really liked that daily adventure. (On our bikes). We also took an early morning ride to watch the backhoes dig graves. (Free entertainment that would be 'reflective' as a senior.

I could also head to southern hemisphere to cool off during USA summers.

As a 20 yr retired, I could make a much more relevant and useful list.
Was this done by AI? (doubt it)

23 yo 'influencer' likely.
Thanks for the laugh, and I agree.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:45 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I will vouch for not cheezing out on sneakers. Spend the money and get a good pair.

In 2016, I fell down some stairs and injured my back in the lumbar region. Didn't hurt my spine, but badly hurt the muscles. I recovered about 95%, but that 5% still lets me know it's there and locks up on me sometimes.

The PT guy I saw told me to stop wearing heels. I said, "I am six feet tall, I never wear heels, what are you talking about?"

He pointed at my short boots, which had maybe a 3/4-inch heel, and said, "That still throws your back off. Listen, people will spend $100 on one dinner at a restaurant, but they buy cheap sneakers. Go down to <local running store> and spend the money and get a good pair of running shoes, even if you are not a runner. It will make a difference."

So, I went. It's the type of store where they have you walk on a treadmill thing, an image is taken of your feet, you are properly sized, etc., and then they recommend a good running shoe for you. I ended up with Nikes, but that's not the only brand that's good, it's just that they had them in my size and the style I needed. You can also save a few bucks if you don't need the latest fashion and get last year's color/style on sale. Eventually, I bought other pairs in different colors, including when Sports Authority was going out of business.

I wear running shoes 90% of the time now. When I have to wear other shoes, I do notice that my back has more of a tendency to lock up again. Good running shoes are so worth the money. Thanks, Raj the PT guy.

Old 10-02-2023, 03:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Amusing list of completely random and partly worthless items. Pretty obviously an AARP sales promotion. It might do better if it didnto lose all credibility by including some other items that also make little sense at all.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:41 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Really? It was bad click bait at best.

Old 10-03-2023, 06:22 PM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
For those of you that want to be cremated instead of prepaying for that through a funeral home have a relative make a phone call to a crematorium when you die and that’s one forth the price. It’s called direct cremation. I have bought a cremation plot at a cemetery and my ashes will just need to be dropped in.

MQ, I was raised that you wear quality shoes because you walk on your feet forever. I have never owned a pair of cheap shoes and neither have my kids. There were many times that my kids only had one pair of shoes when they were little and constantly outgrowing them but they were quality.

Old 10-03-2023, 06:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I'm not trying to be cruel with this, but- burial insurance.

This gives your family time to arrange a memorial service, and they don't have to crowdsource money to get you buried or cremated.

Trust me, you're the Hero when you pre-pay for your own final needs.
I've purchased my plot, which is located next to my father. I've got an idea as to what I want for a headstone; so, I may have it made and installed while I'm still alive. I've seen several headstones erected for people still living. These headstones are unique, in terms of material used, size and design, not at all your typical grey granite headstone.

Old 11-10-2023, 06:01 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
A bidet from Amazon. Best thirty bucks you'll ever spend

Old 11-10-2023, 07:23 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
For those of you that want to be cremated instead of prepaying for that through a funeral home have a relative make a phone call to a crematorium when you die and that’s one forth the price. It’s called direct cremation. I have bought a cremation plot at a cemetery and my ashes will just need to be dropped in.

MQ, I was raised that you wear quality shoes because you walk on your feet forever. I have never owned a pair of cheap shoes and neither have my kids. There were many times that my kids only had one pair of shoes when they were little and constantly outgrowing them but they were quality.
We almost got scammed by a cremation service that did a lot of advertising but wasn't licensed, they were just farming out the work to local funeral homes and making a profit. We ended up calling the local funeral home and it was very affordable.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:36 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post

This gives your family time to arrange a memorial service, and they don't have to crowdsource money to get you buried or cremated.
People crowd sourcing for Funerals and Life Insurance really P.O.'s me.

I reallize that Insurance is sort of a form of crowd sourcing, but atleast the recipients paid a portion of the benefits received. All these FB posts crying "Poor Me", send us money are just a form of begging.

Grumpy old man here.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 11-10-2023 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance