Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 08:35 AM

4,862 posts, read 3,292,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You don't understand the concept of federalism. Federalism provides that individual states have certain specific rights and powers. Real property must be located in a state for that state to have jurisdiction over it.

Let me give an example. You own a home in state X. You subsequently move to state Y and your family makes its home there. You have a will that you made that leaves the home to your oldest daughter because your wife died before you did.

The courts in state Y have no jurisdiction over the house because it is in a different state.

Because of rules of procedure any probate over the house must be filed in state X.

This could have been avoided by creating a trust and allowing the trustee to issue a deed to the daughter. This is one of the situations where a trust is actually the best estate planning mechanism.

Like it or not that's the way the law works.

I understand just fine... and I still think it's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 08:44 AM

14,401 posts, read 14,325,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Exactly.
First of all, when you're dead, you're dead.
Second, if you've taken care of your family by having life insurance and no debt, you're already done better than most people. A will to divide up the assets is gravy at that stage, and I can't see enriching a lawyer to write one. My dad died with assets and took care of everything - but with a surprise that wasn't in his will at all, and it was never contested.
Its foolish to believe that those assets will simply disappear. They will have to be probated unless they are something like money in "pay on death account" or an account with living joint tenants.

The probate will be simpler if there is a will and if a personal representative (executor) has been named.

There are issues with life insurance. In my mind, the biggest one is that the older you get, the harder it is to have any significant life insurance. Term life insurance is sold to younger people and by the time most are 70 or older it is too expensive to purchase. Its not a practical way to dispose of most estates.

You can pay now or you can pay more later. Its how these things work.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:45 AM

14,401 posts, read 14,325,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I understand just fine... and I still think it's ridiculous.
So, is your plan to take away state's rights and just have one government in the United States?

Its probably not, but those are the kind of issues that have to be dealt with to fix the problem you're describing.

I promise you that state governments don't think its ridiculous that they have powers separate from the federal government. This is a longstanding dispute between conservatives and liberals.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:49 AM

106,759 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
Its foolish to believe that those assets will simply disappear. They will have to be probated unless they are something like money in "pay on death account" or an account with living joint tenants.

The probate will be simpler if there is a will and if a personal representative (executor) has been named.

There are issues with life insurance. In my mind, the biggest one is that the older you get, the harder it is to have any significant life insurance. Term life insurance is sold to younger people and by the time most are 70 or older it is too expensive to purchase. Its not a practical way to dispose of most estates.

98% of term is never paid out on…those polices are long gone by death

Old 01-25-2024, 09:13 AM

4,862 posts, read 3,292,420 times
Quote:
So, is your plan to take away state's rights and just have one government in the United States?

Its probably not, but those are the kind of issues that have to be dealt with to fix the problem you're describing.

I promise you that state governments don't think its ridiculous that they have powers separate from the federal government. This is a longstanding dispute between conservatives and liberals.

I think some things should be standardized, yes. And thanks for taking the time to answer.

I've posted before that my wife's Texas Real ID wasn't good enough to prove to Nebraska that she was who she said she was to get a driver license. They recognized it for every other legal business we conducted here (including buying property)... but it wasn't good enough to issue a Nebraska DL. Isn't the entire purpose of that federal initiative to have some standardization?

Old 01-25-2024, 11:16 AM

3,288 posts, read 1,423,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
even a staple removed from a will can invalidate it In some states , and those are not contested wills , these are simply not meeting the legal requirements of the state.

you hear stories all the time of people having trouble collecting life insurance because of an uncrossed T or dotted I in the paper work or trying to use poorly constructed or non statutory power of attorney forms.

now complain you don’t like the way i said it
No reason to complain when you make stupid statements like this. Your post speaks for itself.

Old 01-25-2024, 11:19 AM

3,288 posts, read 1,423,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It does not require a screwed up family. It requires one screwed up family member or one family member in a financial bind or one family member on an ego-flex.
= screwed up

Old 01-25-2024, 12:04 PM

106,759 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
No reason to complain when you make stupid statements like this. Your post speaks for itself.
really …..want to wager it’s true ?

google it yourself ….removing staples and restapling can have a will deemed unreliable in many states

i will wait , go ahead

let’s see who the one making stupid comments really is

“. In many states, a will can be challenged if there appears to be additional staple holes in the document or no staples at all. This is because it begs the question of whether the will has had pages removed, added, or altered at any time since the moment it was executed. At best the court will often allow those who had possession or knowledge of the document to give an affidavit to the court as to why the staples were removed or missing. The same may hold true if the will is unstapled- an affidavit would need to be provided to the court that no pages were inserted and why the will remains “unstapled”.

https://www.pcslawnyc.com/blog/2020/...ng-your-will-/

Old 01-25-2024, 12:17 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,027,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Just for shts and giggles, I called my state bar association again (it had been a while since I first asked). I explained that the lawyer had died, his office had permanently closed, the number was disconnected, and the building was sold. The woman answering the phone then asked, "Can you call his office? Did he have a secretary? Can you go there?" (all "no," as I had just explained) "Do you know who took it over?" (that's what I'm calling to ask YOU) Then, "Try probate." What? I explained that it's my will, and I'm still alive. What do you mean "try probate"? "That's just what they tell us to say." I asked for someone higher up, but they were all in a meeting. They were supposed to call me back, but didn't.

Any other suggestions?
Call the probate office, presumably in your local District Court. How hard is that?!

Old 01-26-2024, 07:19 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,295,082 times
Quote:

Fair point, but as long as you have a policy in place, with a good payout (I do) - and your family will be taken care of - a will is not as important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance