Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 04:54 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
... even a staple removed from a will can invalidate it In some states , and those are not contested wills , these are simply not meeting the legal requirements of the state.

And that's ridiculous. I'll question why it's acceptable that a bare-bones, by-law distribution, nothing special anywhere will prepared in state X may or may not be valid in state Y.

Same for advanced medical directives. Unless I'm changing my mind and deciding I DO want to change something, what I attested to before witnesses in state X should be good enough in state Y.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 05:29 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But, again, where does it stay for safekeeping...?
I think I am going to buy a safe, store it in my home, and give my personal representative and beneficiaries the combination.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:07 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
And that's ridiculous. I'll question why it's acceptable that a bare-bones, by-law distribution, nothing special anywhere will prepared in state X may or may not be valid in state Y.

Same for advanced medical directives. Unless I'm changing my mind and deciding I DO want to change something, what I attested to before witnesses in state X should be good enough in state Y.
Exactly.
First of all, when you're dead, you're dead.
Second, if you've taken care of your family by having life insurance and no debt, you're already done better than most people. A will to divide up the assets is gravy at that stage, and I can't see enriching a lawyer to write one. My dad died with assets and took care of everything - but with a surprise that wasn't in his will at all, and it was never contested.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
I think I am going to buy a safe, store it in my home, and give my personal representative and beneficiaries the combination.
That's just it. I don't HAVE "a personal representative" or "beneficiaries" (other than a charity). I just want it to be found -- and not by those cut out of it -- and my wishes carried out when I pass. How would your attorney even know that you died??? It seems you should be able to just leave a copy with "the courts."

Old 01-25-2024, 07:10 AM

19,775 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I think this is true. Probably true of many professions which essentially try and scare people into believing that calamity is right around the corner unless you engage their services. My guess is that for most people of average to somewhat above average wealth, unless you have an exceptionally screwed up family where there is no trust or respect among parents, siblings, children, spouses, and grandchildren, one could be pretty comfortable using some sort of off-the-shelf software to craft estate documents that would ensure the wishes of the deceased are carried out as he/she desires. Unfortunately, there are some dysfunctional people who manage to create situations that are challenging.
It does not require a screwed up family. It requires one screwed up family member or one family member in a financial bind or one family member on an ego-flex.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:19 AM

19,775 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:

Just a data point. He does something else now but my son worked a bunch of ER rotations and later volunteered in a NYC hospital when covid hit. Docs. ignore or "interpret" less than well prepared medical directives all the time.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:28 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:

You don't understand the concept of federalism. Federalism provides that individual states have certain specific rights and powers. Real property must be located in a state for that state to have jurisdiction over it.

Let me give an example. You own a home in state X. You subsequently move to state Y and your family makes its home there. You have a will that you made that leaves the home to your oldest daughter because your wife died before you did.

The courts in state Y have no jurisdiction over the house because it is in a different state.

Because of rules of procedure any probate over the house must be filed in state X.

This could have been avoided by creating a trust and allowing the trustee to issue a deed to the daughter. This is one of the situations where a trust is actually the best estate planning mechanism.

Like it or not that's the way the law works.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's just it. I don't HAVE "a personal representative" or "beneficiaries" (other than a charity). I just want it to be found -- and not by those cut out of it -- and my wishes carried out when I pass. How would your attorney even know that you died??? It seems you should be able to just leave a copy with "the courts."
Most good estate planning attorneys read obituaries and death notices in their immediate area.

Its not fool proof. There is a certain bit of expecting someone like a family member to tell them you have died.

If you truly don't have someone who can tell the attorney you have passed (family, friend, etc) than there might indeed be an issue.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:06 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You don't understand the concept of federalism. Federalism provides that individual states have certain specific rights and powers. Real property must be located in a state for that state to have jurisdiction over it.

Let me give an example. You own a home in state X. You subsequently move to state Y and your family makes its home there. You have a will that you made that leaves the home to your oldest daughter because your wife died before you did.

The courts in state Y have no jurisdiction over the house because it is in a different state.

Because of rules of procedure any probate over the house must be filed in state X.

This could have been avoided by creating a trust and allowing the trustee to issue a deed to the daughter. This is one of the situations where a trust is actually the best estate planning mechanism.

Like it or not that's the way the law works.
absolutely, anyone who thinks a will prepared and pertaining to one state is 100% valid in another needs an education on estate planning .

as little as removing staples in a will in some states can be problematic

https://www.pcslawnyc.com/blog/2020/...ng-your-will-/

Old 01-25-2024, 08:22 AM

7,746 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Fear factor.
You sure seem to worry about stuff, mathjak. An observation from many years on these boards.
"Only the paranoid survive." -- Andy Grove
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance