Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 03:15 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
What's interesting is not so much that you don't like my responses or that you take exception to them, but that but that you miss the main message. My responses aren't generally addressing the facts or your advice; instead they address the tone, manner, and wording of your posts. It is apparent that you have complete contempt for anyone who doesn't take your advice or share your views. It's hard to take advice from anyone who makes it clear you are fool if you don't take it.
like i said , don’t read them then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 04:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 1,419,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
like i said , don’t read them then
Hard to look away from recurring car wrecks...but still good advice on your part.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:15 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Hard to look away from recurring car wrecks...but still good advice on your part.
well do it , as your comments add nothing of value if you just want to complain i don’t sugar coat facts and data when others are shooting from the hip or myth.

it is what it is whether you like what i say or not.

you are free to dispute anything with your own data and facts , the same as anyone else

Old 01-23-2024, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well do it , as your comments add nothing of value if you just want to complain i don’t sugar coat facts and data when others are shooting from the hip or myth.

it is what it is whether you like what i say or not.

you are free to dispute anything with your own data and facts , the same as anyone else
Lol…remarkable.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:34 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
OP, more important than how much money you leave behind for the care of your new pet (I would not adopt a baby animal at your age when so many senior dogs and cats need homes, but just me...) is WHO is going to provide that care. Have you arranged for a custodian, and do you have complete trust in him or her? I know of a case in which every one of the lady's pets ended up in the shelter the next day, although she'd left funds and assigned a caregiver for them. So please be very careful there.

Second... I am NOT paying $2-5k for a will, so what are the cheaper alternatives? I've read that you can hand write one yourself as long as it's witnessed by two people. FOR FREE! The question is where and with whom do you leave it to ensure your wishes are carried out? I'm not leaving it to my spendthrift relatives, but to animal rescue instead, and I do NOT want them coming across it.

I actually have one (as I recall, I paid about $300 ten years ago) and left it with the lawyer I hired to write it up, but he has since died, and his firm closed. I have no idea where it is now if anywhere; my state bar association wasn't any help. I do still have my copy of it...

Any ideas, attorneys?

Old 01-23-2024, 06:03 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No one should hire the "best" and expect to get a bargain doing so. If you think you need the equivalent of Perry Mason to draw your will and estate planning documents than hire him, but no one should complain when it is expensive. Other lawyers who are competent will do it for less.
I wasn't complaining at all.
Just commenting that the OP's price seemed like a good deal compared to what I've paid.

When I think it's important I always pay for the best.

Would I recommend a person have the best private defense attorney they can afford with the resources that come with that, or a public defender?
What do you think?

Old 01-23-2024, 06:12 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
When I think it's important I always pay for the best.

Would I recommend a person have the best private defense attorney they can afford with the resources that come with that, or a public defender?
What do you think?
I didn't realize writing a will required any particular talent or skill on the part of the lawyer -- nor that one's life hangs on it. Apples and oranges. These prices for a simple document seem like highway robbery to me.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:20 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
We had a friend who was a lawyer who specifically told us he didn't have a will, he trusted that the state would disperse his estate per the state guidelines. However I'm guessing he had his investments titled with a beneficiary or co-owner (not dispensed through a will IOW). He was the wealthiest person we knew, probably 10x richer now due to real estate ownership.

Our wills need updating because we live in a new state but IMO it's not a huge concern. Why? Because for a married couple with no children almost all our assets are titled as joint owners. The survivor is the one who needs to make sure their will is updated the way they want it. We set up a trust a few years ago so that the first-to-die could make sure some of their blood relatives received assets, re-marriage happens.

People with children, or second marriages or pets need a will more than others do.
I've been executor for a couple older relatives, was not that difficult because no one was arguing over anything.

Old 01-24-2024, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I didn't realize writing a will required any particular talent or skill on the part of the lawyer -- nor that one's life hangs on it. Apples and oranges. These prices for a simple document seem like highway robbery to me.
I think this is true. Probably true of many professions which essentially try and scare people into believing that calamity is right around the corner unless you engage their services. My guess is that for most people of average to somewhat above average wealth, unless you have an exceptionally screwed up family where there is no trust or respect among parents, siblings, children, spouses, and grandchildren, one could be pretty comfortable using some sort of off-the-shelf software to craft estate documents that would ensure the wishes of the deceased are carried out as he/she desires. Unfortunately, there are some dysfunctional people who manage to create situations that are challenging.

Old 01-24-2024, 05:31 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
So far my $750 seems the cheapest on here for those who have used human lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance