Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 09:08 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,060,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
why would you say at over one million one likely doesn’t need a trust ? f anything under a million may not need one but even then , one’s death can be the result of an accident , a medical malpractice suit , wrongful death suit and suddenly they have more then a million dollars

one needs to check what their state thresholds are and whether a trust is needed .

here in new york i wasn’t aware of a terrible tax cliff we fell over until i saw an attorney.

at the time new yorks allowable limit for passing an estate tax free was only a million dollars .

go over that by just 5% and you didn’t pay on the overage , you lost the entire exclusion and the estate paid taxes from dollar one .

we needed disclaimer trusts set up .

today our state is the same as the federal level but every state is different…and all exclusions run out at some point over a million so to say one likely does not need a trust over a million is just not correct.

at different levels over a million a trust may very likely be needed to avoid getting state tax hits.

we have disclaimer trusts we can activate if needed .

the surviving spouse has up to 9 months after the death of the other spouse to throw a switch splitting the estate in two enabling 2x the state limit to pass excluded from taxes by putting half the estate in a irrevocable trust that is owned by heirs .

so it is important to know your states estate tax laws and or inheritance tax laws . some states even have both and trusts are the work around

A. Note I wrote the OP should ask her lawyer and expect a thorough answer as part of the $2K.

B. We just re-did wills, POAs, medical directives, trusts etc. last year. One of our lawyer's firm's hardcopy communications noted they suggest trusts to those with <$2MM estates around 15% of the time. In Texas most probate grief can be avoided with TODs docs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 09:12 AM

106,586 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
A. Note I wrote the OP should ask her lawyer and expect a thorough answer as part of the $2K.

B. We just re-did wills, POAs, medical directives, trusts etc. last year. One of our lawyer's firm's hardcopy communications noted they suggest trusts to those with <$2MM estates around 15% of the time. In Texas most probate grief can be avoided with TODs docs as well.
there are loads of different trusts that can be needed regardless of amounts .

having underage kids is a big reason , protecting assets in second marriages , medicaid planning , passing real estate in some states can only be done via a trust or probate ,state limits on exemptions….the list goes on and on and the needs are not amount based at all.

any place someone wants conditions to be met in order for someone to get something also needs a trust

we have no use for a trust at all at this stage , except if we bump our states exclusion at some point the disclaimer trusts we already have in place will be needed.

in some states if you put a house in a revocable living trust you unknowingly unprotect the home from being exempt from the spend down in order to qualify for medicaid long term care .

many general practitioners who are not estate or eldar law attorneys don’t even realize this , so it’s best to see an actual estate attorney not just a willy nilly lawyer who copies documents off the internet.

when we shopped for an attorney i brought copies of the two wills i already knowingly had trouble with to see if he found the flaws ..

he did , he said most title companies in his experience want to know its an only child .

he said in the other one that he would add a paragraph pertaining to pre deceasing .

so he saw right away these canned documents had defects

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-21-2024 at 09:23 AM..

Old 01-21-2024, 02:45 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I have no idea what good lawyers charge for doing estate planning and wills.
Roughly $650/hour minimum for a partner in a small law firm focused on estate planning.

Old 01-21-2024, 02:46 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm not sure where you live. Where I live this could be done for under $2,000.00. I would not expect to pay more than that for it.
Don't forget you would likely receive professional courtesy.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:52 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,173,205 times
Wow I had no idea it was so expensive to do an Estate and power of attorney will. I have a will and advanced directive and it didn't come to even $1,000

Old 01-21-2024, 10:14 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,014,066 times
My father's DPOA and Advance Directive were created using the State's approved forms. I intend to use the same for myself. I haven't yet decided if I will bother with a will. Shocker, I know.

Old 01-22-2024, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Roughly $650/hour minimum for a partner in a small law firm focused on estate planning.
plus there is a charge for the product they sell …our disclaimer trusts were a few thousand dollars ,so it isn’t just an hourly charge they work in..

we were originally going to use on line documents and have a attorney proof them for us ..not one attorney we called would do that and use a document not tweaked and composed by them.

so many attorneys charge by the product they are providing.

even in my sons field of labor law there are different prices for different services depending on complexity and what has to be provided so not just hourly

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-22-2024 at 04:07 AM..

Old 01-22-2024, 03:31 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times
I wanted to add that I have no close family members and would probably divide my assets between various friends, possibly a cousin or two (not sure), and a few charities, as well as what I allocate for the care of my cat.

It doesn't help that there's a chance I might be moving within the next year, possibly selling my condo and renting for the foreseeable future. Not sure. But I want to make sure to have at least some kind of legally binding will that in the future I could use as a template if I change something that doesn't need consultation with a lawyer (i.e. update/retype the will, go to a notary).

I want to use a lawyer because I'm afraid my will won't be completely legally binding if I don't. There are a couple of potentially complicated areas...

Huge appreciation for all your comments! Thank you!

Old 01-22-2024, 05:31 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Looking at these costs impels me to ask what you all think of software like Will Maker or other software for making your own will? I mean that we, and many others, can’t afford those prices. What do we do?

Old 01-22-2024, 05:48 AM

i would never use any off the internet software , ever..
there are protocols and wording different jurisdictions even in the same state want to see , like in our case , and only local attorneys are usually up to date with what they are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance