Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,204,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Iran is moving to the bourse this week. I think it's time to panic.
You have to look at it in terms of percentage. The US$ won't go below $1 = 0.58 Euros because of the Iranian bourse.

The real danger here is that Indonesia will kick the US$ down 2 points when it starts its bourse.

Then Singapore, Malaysia, Algeria, Nigeria, Venezuela, Angola and others will eventually kick the US$ down to $1 =0.42 Euros and put oil over $250/barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
You do know what that means, right? The U.S will not stand for it.
Well, if everyone would get off of the internet for 5 freaking minutes and stop speculating about an attack on Iran, maybe the US could actually attack Iran in peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 12:13 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,802,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, if everyone would get off of the internet for 5 freaking minutes and stop speculating about an attack on Iran, maybe the US could actually attack Iran in peace and quiet.
Sounds like something Carlin would have said...

Old 07-14-2008, 06:32 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,459,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just make sure those "lots" in your banks are not over $100K. IndyMac investors with over $100K are only getting 50% of whatever they had over $100K tomorrow.
I'm surprised they are getting anything over 100K. All the more less money to bail out future bank failures? Hey, when my bank fails, I want there to be some money left.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,459,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
There was only one suicide in 1929.

Perhaps the worst thing then was Florida Land-everyone knew it was worthless, but they bought and bought(paper profits, sound familiar?)

I've always been poor-if the bottom falls out, I won't be much worse off(except for my pension going to Hell, but I lived in Maryland and expect to get robbed).

The people who made money this time around have piddled it away on crazy stuff-Just like the Japanese did when they had their collapse-so they won't be able to buy as many toys and fripperies, poor babies!

Had they invested it in making things, making them here, in the USA, perhaps we might have a better time of it.

So goodbye to fifty dollar cigars, million dollar cars, ticky-tacky houses in the hinterlands and women paying $75 bux to have some Vietnamese woman play with their toes every week.

Good bye to fall apart trash from China, thousand dollar pocket-knives, $500 dollar shoes and gold ear spoons.

America needs:
An efficient public transportation network-fuel costs aside, a lot of baby boomers won't be able to drive, soon, and the roads are too congested to serve us any more.

Massive repairs on infrastructure-it was built cheap, now it needs repair.

Jobs for people who just don't have the capacity to program computers, industrial jobs that make wealth, and practical products that last.

Homes for ordinary people-a lot of folks have been priced out of many markets.

Affordable rental housing for working folks and retirees-after sixty, buying a home is impractical.

More police presence in cities and towns, to bring some order there.

Investment to help us ride the coming wave of computerized automation in the industrial sector.

Fewer automobiles.

Jobs close to the places where the workforce lives.

More telecommuting.

In short, more like Europe.

Worth a try?
I wish. I agree with you on everything. My only luxury is hair I highlight every few months. For those of us living in suburb land with houses that are not selling, it's going to be a trick to not drive, however. We really do need a decent transportation system in this country.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 AM

485 posts, read 1,954,997 times
Oh, it's just me wallowing in self pity, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance