Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 02:49 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,966 times

Advertisements

This Freddie and Fannie are the last straw...oh and Indymac. I went to my safety deposit box and got out all my jewelry. I know, I'm ahead of the times.

For the longest time now I've seen disaster on the horizon. It's here now. This is not to encourage a run on the banks, as I'll be speading my portfolio around to at least four or five institutions in CDs. Even the most conservative outfits like Fidelity are heavily invested in mutual funds (read Freddy and Fannie). The *** is up. Between Iran, the macs and everything else, I can confidently say we are screwed - in public. I've been saying it for months around my kitchen.

So who is doing what now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 03:09 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times
I keep a checking account active, but I only deposit funds right before monthly bills are due. I closed my savings account a couple months back. I'm in the process of transfering my IRA from fidelity to zecco to take advantage of the 10 free trades a month. If major brokerages go bust, I'll be out a few thousand dollars, but that few thousand wont have much value anyway if the government starts up the printing presses. I've got about a $1000 liquid cash on me, and I'm saving up for a nice gun safe. I'm also buying silver bullion. This week, I'm going to work on getting a student loan before rates sky rocket. Paying back long term debt with depreciated dollars is the way to go.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:19 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
This Freddie and Fannie are the last straw...oh and Indymac. I went to my safety deposit box and got out all my jewelry. I know, I'm ahead of the times.

For the longest time now I've seen disaster on the horizon. It's here now. This is not to encourage a run on the banks, as I'll be speading my portfolio around to at least four or five institutions in CDs. Even the most conservative outfits like Fidelity are heavily invested in mutual funds (read Freddy and Fannie). The *** is up. Between Iran, the macs and everything else, I can confidently say we are screwed - in public. I've been saying it for months around my kitchen.

So who is doing what now?
You are in a panic that facts do not justify.

Banks that fail do not keep the contents of safe deposit boxes.

Bank accounts under $100,000 are insured by the FDIC and you will recover those funds quickly.

Fidelity creates mutual funds which are primarily ownership in public corporations most of which are not mortgage companies. There is risk in ownership but no crash is expected.

The economy is not in good shape but there is no reason for panic.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:22 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
I'm cashing out, how about you?
No.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
You are in a panic that facts do not justify.

Banks that fail do not keep the contents of safe deposit boxes.

Bank accounts under $100,000 are insured by the FDIC and you will recover those funds quickly.

Fidelity creates mutual funds which are primarily ownership in public corporations most of which are not mortgage companies. There is risk in ownership but no crash is expected.

The economy is not in good shape but there is no reason for panic.
Iran is moving to the bourse this week. I think it's time to panic. You do know what that means, right? The U.S will not stand for it. No, it's not a nuclear strike, just a deadly one to the dollar. I've been feeling this way for a long time and I'd be willing to wager a HUGE bet I am right.

The oil bomb | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online (http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Opinions/Columns/13-Jul-2008/The-oil-bomb - broken link)

Old 07-13-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
I keep a checking account active, but I only deposit funds right before monthly bills are due. I closed my savings account a couple months back. I'm in the process of transfering my IRA from fidelity to zecco to take advantage of the 10 free trades a month. If major brokerages go bust, I'll be out a few thousand dollars, but that few thousand wont have much value anyway if the government starts up the printing presses. I've got about a $1000 liquid cash on me, and I'm saving up for a nice gun safe. I'm also buying silver bullion. This week, I'm going to work on getting a student loan before rates sky rocket. Paying back long term debt with depreciated dollars is the way to go.
I have a lot of money to lose. I am not comfortable. I think it's the right time to move. Good on you that you are taking the approach that you are.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM

And now this, get ready for more bank failures...

Get ready for more bank failures - May. 12, 2008

Just when does one start to panic?

Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,890 times
By God, it's time to invest in shotguns and canned beans!

Old 07-13-2008, 04:05 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
the other thing I can't understand is why so many new banking centers are being build in our area that is very hard by the housing market. Every new building you see being build is a new banking center and every time I drive by I only see traffic by the once who were here for the last couple of years. We had 3 banking centers for the last couple of years and now 5 opened recently in an area not bigger than 5 miles!

Old 07-13-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
By God, it's time to invest in shotguns and canned beans!
You may be joking, but I hear a LOT of conversation from people I know about firearms and ammo - and they are serious. Unfortunately, I only have a couple of shotguns I don't know how to use - but I plan to change that real soon.

I don't see how someone can joke about this. We invaded Iraq after Saddam said he was going to start trading in the bourse in 2002. And pulease do NOT even insult our intelligence (or mine as least) with that liberator crap.

I don't really like canned beans, but I can do tuna fish. Or ramen noodles better yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance