Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Adoption agency(humane society) or breeder?
Adoption agency 74 87.06%
breeder 11 12.94%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:31 PM

146 posts, read 738,749 times

Advertisements

PLEASE adopt or rescue!

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/Puppy_Mill.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRiverRat View Post
PLEASE adopt or rescue!

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/Puppy_Mill.pdf (broken link)
I agree.
I have had several dogs and the ones I have adopted from our local shelter have been without a defect.
We got one Shepard from a reputable breeder only to find, several years later, that she had painful and debilitating hip displacia.
Almost every strain of pure bred dog has such problems.
As pure bred cats are becoming more popular, they are being in-bred as well and we are starting to see genetic problems in cats. It is human breeding that is exacerbating this problem.

You would think the Animal clubs/organizations that produce the shows and contests would disqualify any kettle or cattery that has any such animal until several generations had passed with no such genetic weakness. I attribute such negligence to greed. Maybe I'm wrong.

A great number of pure bred dogs have genetically carried weaknesses of this sort that have not been bred out of them over all these years. In fact the inbreeding that is done just magnifies the problem.
I have heard that European breeders do not breed so many dogs within the same family as American breeders, but I don't know how true this is.
Mixed breeds are, by their very nature, much less prone to genetic problems.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:29 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
All my dogs are raised with the family.Nothing left oustside and go in and out as please.

Just letting everyone know how adoption fair/fundraiser went today.
Only had a few stop in and one shelter not show or call or send help.Must be getting animals out door no help needed.
Other shelter sent volunteers to help, had a older dog there as volunteer brought her and unsure of room had and if other shelter was bringing any. Weather was touchy so they did not want animals out if stormed if no room.
I made a shelter but we kept Sooner inside with all the info, and she took me for a few runs today and sure not seem old at all was a American Staff/terrier. Great dog well mannered loved everyone. The weather sorta screwed up the car washing also as with rain coming not many stopped, but sold some food. One older couple stopped in and could not have a dog but were looking for a second cat. They were going to the shelter to look around and see if any that would fit in.
Way I see it though not much money came in but if that 1 cat finds a great forever home, we did a great job and already thinking of another day in August and possibly making a annual event!

Back to subject now, if going to get from a shelter walk dog, test dog bring whole family in.Shelter I volunteer for we are to try to train sit,heel,sit-stay and such and evaluate them also. I knw everyone is not a trainer or will be best evaluator but if a few do it and give honest opinions find great dogs that will love you forever at a shelter or from a rescue.Spend time with the dog and not just a day try a few days in a row,if shelter thinks possible chance may be homed even a kill shelter should not put down.

If looking to buy from a breeder, ask for past litter references and vet references also.If can go to breeders look at conditions dogs live in, condition of parents specially the mother. Look at other dogs on premises and make sure in good shape. Look for small pens outside,chains or tie outs, area ground is bare but no tie outs or chains and dogs in house run away and fast.
Spend time with the parents and pups get to know the personalities.
Have a friend call and ask some questions that should warn breeder do not sell to this person and if they say make deposit run and run fast.

Breed rescue talk to a few different rescues, and ask about the others see what responses get. I almost got one from a rescue without doing my homework and talking to more than 1 person in this rescue and before was to pick up dog all of a sudden cash comes into picture (when asked all needed earlier no mention of any money) and asked price said $100.00 more than any other dog that was in that rescue with price on pet finder ads. She also told me had to get right away as she was going away fpor a week and needed to get him gone fast( RED FLAG). I asked another rescue about this and they knew a person who worked in that rescue and they never heard of this other person who I was to get the dog from.

Which ever way you go Good Luck and enjoy.Just remember they are family and a life long commitment!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:16 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
I just adopted my second dog from the Humane Society.

There were so many good dogs there - dogs that shouldn't be there.

I couldn't believe the selection of breeds that you have to choose from at the shelters ... I had a hard time choosing. There are so many precious animals there that need homes. It was hard for me not to adopt more than one of them.

When you adopt from the Humane Society it's a better deal for everyone. You save a life. You get a dog whose up to date on shots and has been spayed or neutered for a small donation. Many times you get a dog that's already trained... or a beautiful healthy puppy... for a song.

Please adopt!

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-02-2008 at 06:25 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 06:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
I got our dog from a Pet Rescue. He is the best dog in the world, in my opinion. He is obedient, quiet, plays when you want him to, walks whenever you want to go out, and he is friendly to all. I kind of wonder why someone would have given him up but I am happy they did.

The problems with pet shop pets is that many are taken from their mother, early in their life and do not have the proper socialization. They also get put into inhumane cages to tolerate the smell of their excrement. The ones used for breeding are used like an oven to produce more and more until it has lost the will to live. Many of these animals in the 'farms' are not treated well. The 'industry' of farms have boiled breeding down to the money making schemes. They don't care about the pet or the parents of the pet, at all.

Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. is one of the best search engines for seeking the dog you want (rescues, shelters).

It is not about 'saving money' but saving lives.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 81,216 times
I would definitely go to an adoption center because that's where they are hurting the most. The shelters then fill up and don't have enough capacity so they turn to euthanasia; but if you can just save one pet (one life) it makes a difference plus you feel so good about what your doing. I got my cat Nala from the humane society, it was the greatest find ever because she is the sweetest most adorable cat with the cutest personality ever. If you can give a pet just one more chance they will love you forever. There are so many breeders out there, and in return that's why there are so many animals in the shelter that need a home. So they are the effect of the cause.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM

75 posts, read 273,171 times
No matter WHAT they tell you, the animals are from puppy mills, mistreated, ill bred, and I have seen so many temperamental and health problems with them. They will ALL tell you their animals do not come from the mass breeders. They will show you paperwork. Bull!!!

------

does that include like hamsters through snakes? i know this kind of sounds dumb but are littler animals like Hamsters through snakes, bred like that too?

Last edited by maxyman2500; 07-02-2008 at 09:51 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 10:01 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxyman2500 View Post
No matter WHAT they tell you, the animals are from puppy mills, mistreated, ill bred, and I have seen so many temperamental and health problems with them. They will ALL tell you their animals do not come from the mass breeders. They will show you paperwork. Bull!!!

I agree about pet stores! Do not buy from pet stores...very bad...very dishonest!!!! Please consider rescue/adoption. We've adopted off of http://www.petfinder.com and recommend it. You name a "pure breed" and it is on this website with their rescue group...along with all the other great mutts. You can search by area, breed, age, sex, and size of ANY pet. This website even has rescue birds, farm animals, hores, etc.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:23 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
I agree about pet stores! Do not buy from pet stores...very bad...very dishonest!!!! Please consider rescue/adoption. We've adopted off of http://www.petfinder.com and recommend it. You name a "pure breed" and it is on this website with their rescue group...along with all the other great mutts. You can search by area, breed, age, sex, and size of ANY pet. This website even has rescue birds, farm animals, hores, etc.
Yes, and I think most of them KNOW what you are rescuing them from and spend the rest of their lives with you showing their gratitude.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:56 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Cool Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305marino954 View Post
i was curious to see what people felt was the best way to purcase a new pet? we have had two dogs in my life time, a schnauzer which we purchased from a breeder and another which is a mutt form the humane society. do u guys feel people should spend thousands of dollars on animals from pure breeders or should they spend the 60 bucks and buy a dog from the humane society? with the humane society u save an animals life
My wife and I have been attempting to adopt a shelter dog for the last several weeks...as a playmate for our 5 year old lab...what a nightmare it has been....first you have to fill out a 3 to 4 page questioner...then after they review it...they will make an appointment....usually within 1 to 2 weeks....only if the dog you were originally interested in is still available...no wonder so many dogs are available.....

But I feel strongly that adopting a dog/pet is a much better way to go...and as you say...it saves a life...but these shelters need to speed the process up a little.....otherwise...there will be more and more pets put down....waiting for the paperwork to be reviewed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets