Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The big issue is that the job market in Philly will need to keep up with that hypothetical demand if it's going to be an attractive option for people in DC or NYC who hope to relocate. Professionally mobile people (ie the type that Philly would like to attract) are largely in NYC and DC for work/career reasons, not because they love the rents.
You're exactly right, but there is clearly demand to live in Philly (Center City and its environs). Not to mention businesses are more and more putting a premium on being located closer to metropolitan cores due to the need to be around focal points of regional infrastructure (i.e., airports, public transportation, highways) and a broad talent pool. This is opposed to far-flung exurbs where both of which are lacking.

Now that Philly is focusing much more on its tax competitiveness and actually promoting its very strong assets, I think the city will be very well positioned to grow as a formidable professional jobs center, especially for companies seeking to establish an East Coast hub but want relatively lower costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You're exactly right, but there is clearly demand to live in Philly (Center City and its environs). Not to mention businesses are more and more putting a premium on being located closer to metropolitan cores due to the need to be around focal points of regional infrastructure (i.e., airports, public transportation, highways) and a broad talent pool. This is opposed to far-flung exurbs where both of which are lacking.

Now that Philly is focusing much more on its tax competitiveness and actually promoting its very strong assets, I think the city will be very well positioned to grow as a formidable professional jobs center, especially for companies seeking to establish an East Coast hub but want relatively lower costs.
If Philly can just get more of the businesses currently located in its suburbs into the city, it will be a good start. All of the reverse and burb-to-burb commuting is inefficient from an infrastructure standpoint, plus it cuts down on the potential added benefits of having a critical mass of diverse industries being mutually accessible in very close proximity.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Actually those trolleys will replace the Existing ones , but i asked around and another 150-200 will come after that for the expansions in the 2020s... Septa also seems to be replacing the rest of the Silverliner fleet....but nothing has surfaced on the Board street fleet or any hint of expansions.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,568,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Actually those trolleys will replace the Existing ones , but i asked around and another 150-200 will come after that for the expansions in the 2020s... Septa also seems to be replacing the rest of the Silverliner fleet....but nothing has surfaced on the Board street fleet or any hint of expansions.
The BSL Kawasaki fleet are from the 80s, so they ought to be good until at least the 2020s - 2030s.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:54 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Interesting find. However, I think SEPTA should prioritize restoration of existing stations, as many are just downright decrepit (i.e., City Hall).

Hopefully more state/federal funding will start to loosen up in regards to public transportation very soon.
Not likely.

That half-... new Dilworth plan really makes me angry too. Yet another example of just "getting something done" versus getting it done right. What the hell happened to this city? Damn Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
2020s? Ridiculous.

They should've started expanding this decade, if not last.

I'm really not a cynic or pessimistic person but honestly this is unacceptable.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-31-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: watch the language

Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM

Lets see whats on the menu for other agencies in this region for this decade...most of this is already budgeted or underway...

Septa / PATCO
Silverliner 5 EMU - 291 Cars
Light Rail - 141 cars
Rebuilt Rapid Transit - 120 cars

Amtrak Northeast
Intercity HSR (Acela) - 40 cars
Rebuilt Intercity (Northeast R) - 60 cars
New Intercity (Northeast R) 170 cars
ACS-64 - 70 Locomotives

Metro North & Long Island Railroad
M8 - 308 Cars
M9/A - 236 Cars
M9 - 462 cars (Second Phase)

NYC Subway
R179 - 290 cars
R188 Converted - 350 cars
R188 New - 123 cars

PATH - NJ/NY
PA-5 - 85 cars

New Jersey Transit
Double Decker Cars - 100
EMU - 228 Cars
DMU Commuter - 53 cars
Electric LRT - 30 cars
Diesel LRT - 10 cars
ALP 45DPs - 26 ordered (37+ Future)

Washington DC
Rapid Transit - 428 cars
Streetcar - 5 cars

Maryland
Rebuilt Commuter Bi-level - 6 Cars
New Commuter Bilevel - 89 cars
MTA Light Rail - 40 cars

Virginia
Bi-level cars - 32
Tide Light Rail - 5 cars

Massachusetts - MBTA
Light Rail - 24 cars
Rapid Transit - 214 cars

Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,926 times
Nexis, I thought you might like to see this if you haven't already. I know it's not Philadelphia but it's pretty important in my opinion.

http://www.pennjerseyrail.org/

If you go to the Lackawanna Cutoff Wikipedia page, you can see pictures of the construction. The most recent ones are from late December I believe.

http://www.njskylands.com/hscutoff.htm This other link is a site with information about the cutoff's history.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 AM

147 posts, read 353,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Not likely.

That half-... new Dilworth plan really makes me angry too. Yet another example of just "getting something done" versus getting it done right. What the hell happened to this city? Damn Republicans.

2020s? Ridiculous.

They should've started expanding this decade, if not last.

I'm really not a cynic or pessimistic person but honestly this is unacceptable.
It is unacceptable, but it expansion wasn't going to happen because of the NIMBY's, the Suburban Members on the SEPTA Board, and the lack of funding Public Transportation receives in Pennsylvania.

A good chunk of the state representatives come from Pennsyltucky, and their constituents feel like its a waste of tax dollars to fund public transportation because it doesn't directly benefit them.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-31-2012 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: updated previously edited quote

Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Nexis, I thought you might like to see this if you haven't already. I know it's not Philadelphia but it's pretty important in my opinion.

Penn Jersey Rail Coalition Home Page

If you go to the Lackawanna Cutoff Wikipedia page, you can see pictures of the construction. The most recent ones are from late December I believe.

The Lackawanna Cutoff in Northwest New Jersey This other link is a site with information about the cutoff's history.
I saw and know , not sure why there expanding on this project when there are larger projects that need to be restored....

Old 02-04-2012, 03:13 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
UCity construction to start this month: Drexel plans housing and retail project on Chestnut Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia