Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times

Advertisements

The PCPC has created/adopted other masterplans over the years that either never saw the light of day, or were ignored and/or corrupted beyond recognition. I hope it's different this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
http://www.phila.gov/pra/PDFs/Call_For_Artists.pdf

Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The PCPC has created/adopted other masterplans over the years that either never saw the light of day, or were ignored and/or corrupted beyond recognition. I hope it's different this time.

me too, time will tell

Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Woww... this is a lot nicer then I thought it would be. So happy this eye sore is finally being filled.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:47 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,130,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The explanation for this is that the green line trolleys were supposed to continue past 13th street on market. Trolleys would provide local service along Market Street, the MFL would provide express service.

Which is why, on Market West, the trolleys stop at 15th, 19th, 22nd, and 30th, and the Market Frankford Line only stops at 15th and 30th.

My understanding is that the same thing was supposed to happen on Market East. But it didn't. The trolleys loop around at 13th Street - and the Market Frankford line stops at all the stops.
The El was built in response to the intense trolley traffic on Market St. It was an attempt to alleviate the traffic. The trolleys still ran, just under the el, and the PTC was able to run fewer of them because many passengers bypassed the whole deal on the new el.

The existing stations on the el are where the north/south trolleys crossed market St.

The El stations are also more sparse west of City Hall because that area had (and still has) more intensive trolley service. If you look at the rest of the subway system the typical spacing between stations is 4-6 blocks.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,926 times
Quote:
The last "renovation" that was done to LOVE park was cheap and AWFUL, and was mainly just a misguided scheme to get skateboarders out of the park (of course, after welcoming the X-Games to the city, which chose Philly largely because of LOVE's worldwide fame a skate spot - a fame it gained long before appearing in the video game mentioned in the article...which featured the park because it was already legendary).
IMO it would be nice if the plaza was just restored to its original state and actually maintained this time, and Ed Bacon was allowed to rest with dignity. Athough spending yet more money to do that now is a bit like rubbing salt into a wound.
I completely agree. I also don't personally like the whole Sister Cities Park renovation.

Quote:
I just don't like the fact that people who most likely are not from the city (or any city for that matter) are the ones doing the master plans. The Westpark planner in particular annoys me. None of his ideas suit the community and are all built on his own incorrect viewpoints of what a city and what those neighborhoods should be. He wants to rezone parts of a commercial district to residential just because they have vacancies, to name just one of his ridiculous ideas.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM

22 posts, read 38,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Philly > 2012 Booming , Urban Renewal Begins > 2030 New Yorkers pack up and move to Philly , Philly reaches for the sky with huge skyscrapers
Philadelphia is slowly but surely going to change and it is going truly be a Philadelphia of the 21st century. I know a lot of New Yorkers and lot of them have told me that it is too expensive living there and that the city feels like a box and everything is too cramped.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,933 times
Has anyone made it over to Xfinity Live yet? From the pics on philly.com it looks pretty nice.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Has anyone made it over to Xfinity Live yet? From the pics on philly.com it looks pretty nice.

Was there Thursday night briefly before the Springsteen concert.

Was ok; definately adds some amenities/bars/restaurants to the area but wasnt blown away on any level quite honestly; was pretty crowded but think the Flyers and newness attracted many folks

Even saw Ed Snider in a glassed in room above the main floor checking on the activities in what looked like a private area for events etc.

It is kind of dark and vast inside though filled with many bars; on the whole I think I still McFaddens better; especially for a beer before or after a Phils game but will give it another try I suppose when the weather is better.

On the whole much preferred Springsteen
Attached Thumbnails
Philadelphia 2035-img00128-20120329-2206.jpg  

Old 03-31-2012, 08:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,568,434 times
It's at least a step towards keeping people coming in for the games in the city and spending some money here. We wouldn't have this problem if the stadiums were somewhere convenient to Center City though, but that's another argument...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia