Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times

Advertisements

Design for the Courtyard Marriot coming to the Navy Yard here

Erdy McHenry Architecture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Is there any plan to bury/cap parts of I-95? It doesn't appear so, but I know that a few areas like Spruce have a park/area like this. I realize doing this is extremely expensive.
I'm more for this plan -

Hey Hey, Ho Ho, I-95 Has Got to Go | The Philly Post

Take the money that would be spent to rebuild 95 and spread it around as part of the local share for a Roosevelt Blvd subway, Delaware Ave. light rail, etc.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM

Phase 1 of the Wanamaker Plaza redevelopment by the Goldenberg Group at the old John Wanamaker High School site next to Temple University has begun.

Phase 1 includes a 14 floor 214 foot residential tower aimed at students designed by Wallace, Roberts and Todd. Future phases may include more towers as well as a community center for local residents.

Link to Render
http://www.assetpluscorp.com/blog/ne...-akron-oh.html

Cost estimates put this project at $150mill
http://dodgeprojects.construction.co...VVviewprod.htm

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Phase 1 of the Wanamaker Plaza redevelopment by the Goldenberg Group at the old John Wanamaker High School site next to Temple University has begun.

Phase 1 includes a 14 floor 214 foot residential tower aimed at students designed by Wallace, Roberts and Todd. Future phases may include more towers as well as a community center for local residents.

Link to Render
http://www.assetpluscorp.com/blog/ne...-akron-oh.html

Cost estimates put this project at $150mill
http://dodgeprojects.construction.co...VVviewprod.htm
Interesting So much going on at Temple these days.

Kind of looks like like Legos but makes sense and think it will look good in a college area.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I'm more for this plan -

Take the money that would be spent to rebuild 95 and spread it around as part of the local share for a Roosevelt Blvd subway, Delaware Ave. light rail, etc.
Or take I-95 and run it through the empty barren waste land that is Camden New Jersey

In reality the only stretch of I-95 that needs to be buried is the section that runs from South Street down to about Race Street.

The rest of I-95 is all above grade. This is the only section that literally acts as a wall, making it hard for pedestrians to get to the river.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Interesting So much going on at Temple these days.

Kind of looks like like Legos but makes sense and think it will look good in a college area.
Agree. So many huge projects. This will add some good density to a part of campus that is relatively dead. Rumors are that Temple is attempting to purchase the elementary school right across from this site on 12th street and redevelop the whole lot as well as "Lot 9" on the corner of 12th and Cecil B. A new elementary school would be built at 11th and Cecil B on that surface lot.

Also, plans seem to be stirring to build a 400 ft office tower on the visitors parking lot at 12th and Montgomery. All office and administrators will be moved here from Conwell Hall. Conwell would then be converted into classrooms.

Really interesting to hear about everything planned.

A new Library as well on Broad and Polett. New Graduate Student Housing Broad and Jefferson as well as two more highrise dorm plans. One at Broad and Norris and another across the street that would replace Peabody Hall

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I'm more for this plan -

I'm with you 100%, but something tells me a lot of car commuters would be unhappy. However, in 15 years from now, maybe things will be different...

Quote:
According to Lind, the city has told her I-95 is not remotely on its agenda. It makes sense, given that the road is some 15 years away from scheduled redesign and that the city budget has become a perpetual high-wire act. We admire her patience and civility. But given the general mood of defiance loitering around City Hall these days, we say, why not start making noise about it now anyway?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,437 times
A lot of these proposed buildings look so 70s... I'm not digging the Courtyard, Wanamaker Plaza or 205 Race.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
A lot of these proposed buildings look so 70s... I'm not digging the Courtyard, Wanamaker Plaza or 205 Race.
I can understand not liking Courtyard or Wanamaker... although Wanamaker is on a college campus, and profits are not going to be maximized here, resulting in a simpler design... but 205 Race? Gorgeous design in every single way.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:30 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I can understand not liking Courtyard or Wanamaker... although Wanamaker is on a college campus, and profits are not going to be maximized here, resulting in a simpler design... but 205 Race? Gorgeous design in every single way.
I donno, I always feel like I'm looking at it wrong. Like I'm waiting for the rest of the building to download on AOL or something. I like the now defunct condos that were supposed to go there much better.

PHILAPHILIA Dead-Ass Proposal of the Week: 205 Race Street | Philadelphia City Paper | 08/28/2012

I'm certainly not as anti-205 Race as I am anti the other two, but I donno, I'm just not digging the design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia