Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,130,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm with you 100%, but something tells me a lot of car commuters would be unhappy. However, in 15 years from now, maybe things will be different...
There actually wouldn't be that many angry car commuters . . . most of the traffic heading southbound on 95 is exiting 95 for Girard Ave. or 676 (east or west) and most of the rest is taking the next exit for Columbus/Christian St.

A lot of what looks like through traffic is people who are beginning or ending their trip between the two bridges . . . and most of the current traffic tie-ups on Columbus happen from the light at Washington Ave. going down to the light for Pier 70/Morris St.

If it were up to me I would replace I-95 with a 4-lane boulevard from Race St. down to Federal/Wharton. I'd re-sign I-95 north of Girard Ave. to send airport bound traffic west on 676 down 76 via the Platt Bridge. I'd spend some of the rebuild money to build new ramps and take some of the curves out of 76 between South St. and Passyunk. I'd also send traffic for Wilmington and points south over the Ben Franklin/676/295 and set up the new ramps in such a way that the new boulevard handled most of the local traffic with any confused people trying to thoroughfare were put onto Columbus Blvd. People would be free to choose whatever route they wanted to but the new signage would steer through traffic away from the waterfront.

Indeed, this sort of thing has been done before in cities with far worse traffic than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
I donno, I always feel like I'm looking at it wrong. Like I'm waiting for the rest of the building to download on AOL or something. I like the now defunct condos that were supposed to go there much better.

PHILAPHILIA Dead-Ass Proposal of the Week: 205 Race Street | Philadelphia City Paper | 08/28/2012

I'm certainly not as anti-205 Race as I am anti the other two, but I donno, I'm just not digging the design.

I dunno I really like the new 205 renders

205 Race Street / Peter Gluck & Partners | ArchDaily

Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
There actually wouldn't be that many angry car commuters . . . most of the traffic heading southbound on 95 is exiting 95 for Girard Ave. or 676 (east or west) and most of the rest is taking the next exit for Columbus/Christian St.

A lot of what looks like through traffic is people who are beginning or ending their trip between the two bridges . . . and most of the current traffic tie-ups on Columbus happen from the light at Washington Ave. going down to the light for Pier 70/Morris St.

If it were up to me I would replace I-95 with a 4-lane boulevard from Race St. down to Federal/Wharton. I'd re-sign I-95 north of Girard Ave. to send airport bound traffic west on 676 down 76 via the Platt Bridge. I'd spend some of the rebuild money to build new ramps and take some of the curves out of 76 between South St. and Passyunk. I'd also send traffic for Wilmington and points south over the Ben Franklin/676/295 and set up the new ramps in such a way that the new boulevard handled most of the local traffic with any confused people trying to thoroughfare were put onto Columbus Blvd. People would be free to choose whatever route they wanted to but the new signage would steer through traffic away from the waterfront.

Indeed, this sort of thing has been done before in cities with far worse traffic than here.

Capping of Market to Walnut with better access at other points like SG and South would be a huge improvement.

There is still a ton of traffic that continues south, also this would put even more traffic on 76, 676 and non highway streets

Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times
Possible render for the retail complex coming to 15th and Walnut

http://www.midwoodid.com/availabilit...=gallery&id=36

Old 10-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Changes to start soon for SEPTA ‘smart card’ system - Philly.com

Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,521 times
Finally, I've been trying to find some reason to use the NFC capability on my phone.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 AM

147 posts, read 353,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Finally, I've been trying to find some reason to use the NFC capability on my phone.

I wonder if SEPTA will develop some sort of App that uses NFC on the newer Androids. It would be such a convience to purchase a monthly pass through that App and use my phone instead of having to purchase an RFID card.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbarian View Post
I wonder if SEPTA will develop some sort of App that uses NFC on the newer Androids. It would be such a convience to purchase a monthly pass through that App and use my phone instead of having to purchase an RFID card.

There is a meeting accepting public feedback for SEPTA

See more info here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sharpe View Post
Hi all,
Our members have determined that Monday, Oct. 15th is the best day for our city transit public workshop. It will be from 6-8 PM at our Center City office (address is in my signature below). If you're interested in attending, please RSVP by e-mailing sharpe@dvarp.org or on our Facebook event page[/url].

Given how many of you seem very interested in this topic, I expect to see lots of you Monday evening. If you have any questions, just shoot me an e-mail.
Andy Sharpe
Communications Director
Delaware Valley Association of Rail Passengers
1601 Walnut St., Suite 1129
Philadelphia, PA 19102-2913
phone: 215-RAILWAY (215-724-5929)
e-mail: sharpe@dvarp.org

Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 AM

147 posts, read 353,882 times
Thanks kidphilly. I'll probably attend to bring that idea up to them.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Fifteen Years Later, University City District Looking Pretty Good | NakedPhilly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia