Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Improvements in the Philadelphia zoning code, IV: Rule changes | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
"The requirement that every new dwelling unit have a parking space is gone. The new code requires only three parking spaces per 10 dwellings. This change will eliminate the rows of door-and-garage-door street fronts found on many new construction townhouse projects."

Great!!
Now I wish they'd set a limit on those cookie-cutter square bay townhouses that all these developers seem to think is the only thing to do on a rowhouse infill site.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
"The requirement that every new dwelling unit have a parking space is gone. The new code requires only three parking spaces per 10 dwellings. This change will eliminate the rows of door-and-garage-door street fronts found on many new construction townhouse projects."

Great!!
Now I wish they'd set a limit on those cookie-cutter square bay townhouses that all these developers seem to think is the only thing to do on a rowhouse infill site.

Agree, the biggest benefit in this is just that reduction of parking. Would love to see the parking abolished in total in anywhere between girard and washington. I wonder when the first space is required, at dwelling 4? not sure

Also - what are some examples you see as good on the row house in fill, just curious

Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree, the biggest benefit in this is just that reduction of parking. Would love to see the parking abolished in total in anywhere between girard and washington. I wonder when the first space is required, at dwelling 4? not sure

Also - what are some examples you see as good on the row house in fill, just curious
I was mainly just kidding. And it's not so much that they're terrible, it's just that there's SO many of them. These guys are just working off of a standard plan. And I realize there's a tradition of "builder" buildings in Philly (and, well, everywhere), and there's nothing wrong with that. That's what most rowhouses are, after all. But these just look kind of chintzy, and they're everywhere, so they bug me.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Fair enough, was actually curious as I always like some new ideas

Some interesting tidbits to me

That Was Quick… Jose Garces Sells Letto Deli Space | NakedPhilly

GlobeSt.com - Cozen O’Connor Signs 200,000 SF Center City Lease - Daily News Article

And remember when Starr said he was done in Philly for while, seems that may be a short while
Is Stephen Starr Opening a BBQ Joint in Fishtown? - Rumormongering - Eater Philly

Also on a personal note Kudos to local suburban brewery Slyfox for having a beer named to Men's Health ten best beers in the world with their Pikeland Pils
Sly Fox Pikeland Pils Named 'Best In The World' - Beer Here! - Eater Philly

Old 07-18-2012, 03:19 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

They're actually already banned between Washington & Moore.

The logic for the lower ratio is that most people in the market are looking for a house, not a parking space and guaranteed parking is a good way to guarantee more cars. Curb cuts also take away on-street parking so, in a sense, a garage door on the front of your house privatizes public space.

** Just as bothersome as the garage doors are having all of the utility meters stuck to the front of the house. It's awful.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,125 times
Quote:

Great!!
Seconded. They look so suburban.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
I was mainly just kidding. And it's not so much that they're terrible, it's just that there's SO many of them. These guys are just working off of a standard plan. And I realize there's a tradition of "builder" buildings in Philly (and, well, everywhere), and there's nothing wrong with that. That's what most rowhouses are, after all. But these just look kind of chintzy, and they're everywhere, so they bug me.
I think as more "monied" people move into up-and-coming neighborhoods, the quality of new rowhouse design will definitely increase. There are many proposals that have come out in the recent months on local development blogs that look a million times better than the few-year-old uninspired rowhouses that are too pervasive in some neighborhoods (the lower Graduate Hospital area is particularly guilty of this).

More and more neighborhood groups are also holding developers accountable to respecting the architectural heritage/vernacular of their surroundings, which is also critically important. With responsible neighborhood oversight (and I don't mean deliberately obstructionist) and these new zoning updates, I think Philly will find itself with tons more quality infill/redevelopment.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think as more "monied" people move into up-and-coming neighborhoods, the quality of new rowhouse design will definitely increase. There are many proposals that have come out in the recent months on local development blogs that look a million times better than the few-year-old uninspired rowhouses that are too pervasive in some neighborhoods (the lower Graduate Hospital area is particularly guilty of this).

More and more neighborhood groups are also holding developers accountable to respecting the architectural heritage/vernacular of their surroundings, which is also critically important. With responsible neighborhood oversight (and I don't mean deliberately obstructionist) and these new zoning updates, I think Philly will find itself with tons more quality infill/redevelopment.
Have you seen some of the rowhome designs in Northern Liberties and Graduate Hospital? I think they are absolutely fantastic.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:09 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
News on Cira Center South today.

It seems Brandywine, the developers of this project spoke in front of the Planning Commission last week and released informal plans to the complex. Brandywine also put on a presentation in front of employees at Cira Center in which they stated that the smaller tower could break ground as early as this fall where the taller tower would start construction after the smaller towers completion.

Brandywine will be returning to the Planning Commission in two parts, once for an information only session then once to release final plans and seek approval.

Cira Centre South Approaching? | NakedPhilly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia