Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 03:54 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I do find interesting that septa is pushing forward with something that is obviously for the reverse commuter.
This spur benefits suburb to suburb commuters the best imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
I do find interesting that septa is pushing forward with something that is obviously for the reverse commuter.

Sadly with all the inverstment I really see no plan for TOD. This is a perfect opportunity IMHO to find better ways to develop new centers and make the region more attractive

Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
They probably think that there is a great potential for high ridership when the spur is up and running.
This. SEPTA is really only in a position to fund projects that will see a return at the farebox. It's hard to justify Quakertown or Reading service when it would generate the same amount of ridership but cost several times as much.

The positive takeaway is that the metro is getting dense to the point where rail extensions are feasible again, and regional planners are not just throwing this money into highway widening. The route 202 corridor may be the first auto-centric developed corridor to finally reach the critical mass needed for rail, but others are going to follow if population increases at the same time that gas prices continue to rise. I don't see 422, for instance, being so far behind in the big scheme of things. Ten to twenty years doesn't seem so far fetched to be in the same position as we're in now with KOP.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I really don't think that type of behavior should be encouraged and subsidized. there are roughly 1,000,000 other things I'd prefer septa to do with this money. most right here in philadelphia
This is one region.

I've lived in the City of Philadelphia for all 30 of the years I've lived here, but I've worked both within and beyond the city limits. As I don't own a car, my job options would have been far more limited without good SEPTA service to the 'burbs.

And the 124 and 125 buses from 13th and Market are packed at peak hours and on weekends - and not all the riders are shoppers.

Since other issues hamper job growth within the city, I see no reason why we shouldn't develop new transit services to connect the people who need jobs the most with the places where the jobs are.

And while I think you're right that the NHSL spur won't do much for the folks riding the 124 and 125, we might both be wrong: if the fares are similar but the service less subject to delays due to traffic on the Schuylkill, riders who use the El now to reach the 124/125 might simply stay on it to 69th Street and take the trains instead.

Most rail improvements in the city that I can think of (Navy Yard BSL extension, Northeast subway...) will cost a good deal more than this one to implement, and while the Northeast subway especially is needed and would be worth every penny spent on it, SEPTA's capital budget remains pathetic. Let's do what we can while we can.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
So to work in KOP and live in center city you'd have to take three different lines to work? That is a bit much.
The lines drawn in that slide are just different possibilities that have been studied. The line from 69th St. will go directly to KOP - in fact, the extension to KOP is likely to become the route for the trains that already run express on the existing NHSL.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
The lines drawn in that slide are just different possibilities that have been studied. The line from 69th St. will go directly to KOP - in fact, the extension to KOP is likely to become the route for the trains that already run express on the existing NHSL.
It to me is still is another missed opportunity of a one seat ride, wish the gauge was the same. Also to MSE's post I agree there is an opportunity to link other areas. A future spur along 202 and 422 would be good, especiially if coupled with smart TOD growth.
The city/region can benefit from strangths and msart development in both the burbs and the city. The sum of the whole can be greater than the parts. DC can evidence well as a pretty close neighbor

Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM

Details emerge on Dranoff's One Riverside Park | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM

From summers

Title: Rodin Square
Project: 293 residential units, 60,000+ sq ft Whole Foods Grocery store, 19,000 sq ft of retail/commercial space, parking, bicycle parking
Architect: MV+A Architects
Developer: R. Investment Five, L.P. & Battersea Interests, L.P.
Floors: 10
Height: 120 feet

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...d%20Street.pdf

Old 08-13-2013, 09:07 AM

Univ. plans for hotel at 33rd and Chestnut - The Triangle

Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
More details on the bike share program. Looks like it's only about a year away: Plan in place for Phila. bike-share program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia