Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
But you're not writing "reviews" for public consumption expecting to change outcomes of building projects, (concert performances, the success of restaurants, or movies)
Are you saying the only a chef can review a restaurant? Or only a composer can review a symphony performance? Or only a playwright can review a play? Or only a director can review a film? If not, why is Inga singled out because she is not degreed in architecture? Critics are paid for their eye, their ear, their palate, etc. - not for their university transcripts.

I get that you are highly critical of Inga. That's fine. People take issue with critics in every city on every topic. Others (me included) find she has a good eye and a talent in communicating her views. In fact, others who share my view must include those who bestow Pulitzers. This only confirms for me what I picked up upon moving here four years ago - Inga is a particularly talented journalist.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-19-2015 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Just read an interesting piece in PBJ about Main Line high dollar $1.5 M + real estate slowing down. The reason? Center City is becoming /has become such a competitor for the Main Line market.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:19 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

I get that you are highly critical of Inga. That's fine. People take issue with critics in every city on every topic. Others (me included) find she has a good eye and a talent in communicating her views. In fact, others who share my view must include those who bestow Pulitzers. This only confirms for me what I picked up upon moving here four years ago - Inga is a particularly talented journalist.
We will have the agree to disagree. We're going in circles, obviously. And the thread isn't about her. So I'm going to stop talking about her.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:52 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I am about to call someone on City Council soon and ask them where the hell my light towers and trees are, that are suppose to be reshaping North Broad Street all the way up to Glenwood Avenue. They chopped up the street about 3 months ago for what I assumed was electrical wires for the lights, given they were all around the concrete bases. However not one light is installed yet. Maybe they are waiting for the warm weather.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I am about to call someone on City Council soon and ask them where the hell my light towers and trees are, that are suppose to be reshaping North Broad Street all the way up to Glenwood Avenue. They chopped up the street about 3 months ago for what I assumed was electrical wires for the lights, given they were all around the concrete bases. However not one light is installed yet. Maybe they are waiting for the warm weather.
Most if not all of it is in Darrell Clarke's district.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Yes I know, and I really shouldn't be surprised. I was more surprised they even made the concrete platforms in the first place lol. I just feel like those would be such a good idea to kind of bridge the broad street gap between CC and Girard/Temple.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:08 AM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
[...]I have read the pleas of folks who proclaim "Why can other cites restore and operate their historical movie palaces and Philly can't?" The answer is that no two cities are the same - their cultural arts offerings along with available venues differ, not to mention the demographics, population density and other factors that come into play. Would folks trade all they enjoy about their life in Philadelphia to live in St. Louis, just because that city has retained one its movie palaces?
One aspect of living there aside, I think I could trade everything I love about Philadelphia to live in my native Kansas City again, but not solely because the Loews Midland Theater was restored. A new performing arts facility - maybe some of you have seen pictures of the stunning, Moshe Safdie-designed Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts - made a much deeper impression on me, and there's lots more to love about KC besides those two things.

But: yes, it has mass transit - a bus system with some BRT-style express routes - but it's a drive-everywhere sort of city at heart, and that I don't care for all that much. I did vow to myself once I got to Boston for college that I would avoid living in a city without a subway if at all poaaible. (Of course, one of this city's advantages is that if you live and work in its center, you don't have to use it - you can walk to work, most likely. But where I live now, I use it every day, as I did when I lived at 12th and Locust and worked at Penn.)

Quote:
He's also responsible for those gap-toothed new housing developments in Francisville.

His effort to turn the proposed Department of Planning and Inspections into a Council-controlled agency (sort of) also smells a bit. (And he had to back off on some of the most objectionable provisions of his bill.)

Seems to me he wants to be Mayor without actually having to run for the office.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

He's also responsible for those gap-toothed new housing developments in Francisville.

His effort to turn the proposed Department of Planning and Inspections into a Council-controlled agency (sort of) also smells a bit. (And he had to back off on some of the most objectionable provisions of his bill.)

Seems to me he wants to be Mayor without actually having to run for the office.
Re Darrell Clarke

Hmmm, it's not quite as "gap-tooth" now. Just visit along Fairmount Ave between 19th and and Broad Sts to see what I mean.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
So this is the 'proposed' UED billboard they are talking about near Panera. Yikes! I personally think it is not pretty.

PlanPhilly | Revolving Door Chronicles: Former Councilman lobbies Council for billboard company

Old 03-20-2015, 03:53 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
So this is the 'proposed' UED billboard they are talking about near Panera. Yikes! I personally think it is not pretty.
Hideous isn't it? But I am pleased to learn the plug has been pull for the equally ugly and offending UED planned for South Broad:

Phila. digital billboard plan dialed down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia