Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 PM

19 posts, read 54,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Not really. That's good for a sensational headline, and goes along with your general theme of Philly bashing, but it's not really true.

As was stated recently on another thread, Philadelphia has the highest murder rate of the 10 largest US cities, which is NOT something to be proud of, but there's not need to exaggerate, especially if you say you're trying to be "honest". A list of the ten largest leaves off many places like Baltimore, DC, Atlanta, Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, St. Louis, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Tulsa, Cincinatti, Toledo, Kansas City etc etc, which are ranked higher than Philly on actual lists of most dangerous cities.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

BTW Philly is ranked #30 on that list, if you don't want to actually look at it.
ya i have actually checked out that list. there are so many places that are more dangerous than philly. i go to school right now as an undergraduate student at indiana university northwest in Gary, Indiana. Gary is by far...one of the most dangerous towns in the united states. when i visited philly to interview for grad school at USciences, i loved the city. and obviously every big city is going to have there unsafe areas. i live like 25 minutes outside of downtown chicago...and chicago has its fair share of crime as well. im just familiar with the chicago, so i know which areas to avoid. that familiarity is something i dont have with philly. (University of the Sciences is actually where i'm going, not UPenn. i was speaking to a friend who went to UPenn while writing my original post, so i accidentally wrote down the wrong school)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM

19 posts, read 54,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
43rd and Chester? What is this, 1995?? 43rd and Chester is right next to University of the Sciences and Clark Park. The dangerous parts of University City are along Market St outside the university, say west of 40th St, and past maybe 49th St and the regional rail tracks. In fact, there's good parts of West Philly beyond that as well. The area around Malcolm X Park is stable and is beyond 49th St. If OP is looking for apartments he should look within those boundaries. Look along Baltimore Ave since you can take the 34 trolley right to the university. And of course visit before you move on any apartment. Make sure you feel comfortable in the neighborhood first, and talk to the neighbors to see who you'll be living near.

Also, the safety map provides a good rule of thumb for finding safe neighborhoods in the city. Ignoring the rest of the map, I'd say the boundaries they give for the good "green" part of University City are pretty much accurate:

Philadelphia County Safety Map - Google Maps
thanks alot for the advice, and the map! im just trying to find an apartment thats really close to the University of the Sciences. im going to their physical therapy school...so i feel like ill be needing to commute plenty of times back and forth. also, what do you think of the University of the Sciences? ive been doing some research, and i have not found anything bad about the school. all-in-all it seems like a pretty solid school, and i did like the campus. but im trying to find out what the locals think of the school.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,565,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacoMatt View Post
thanks alot for the advice, and the map! im just trying to find an apartment thats really close to the University of the Sciences. im going to their physical therapy school...so i feel like ill be needing to commute plenty of times back and forth. also, what do you think of the University of the Sciences? ive been doing some research, and i have not found anything bad about the school. all-in-all it seems like a pretty solid school, and i did like the campus. but im trying to find out what the locals think of the school.
I have fellow classmates at Temple that did their first two years at University of the Sciences. It's a good school, and a good starting point for any medical related degree.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It really varies--up to a block-by-block basis. I wouldn't say University City is dangerous, but 34th and Chestnut is a lot safer than, say, 43rd and Chester. Look carefully--and ask around.
I live near 42nd and Baltimore, just a couple of blocks away ... never experienced any type of crime whatsoever in the past 10 years since I bought my Victorian "Twin."

However, there was a mugging several weeks ago at 47th and Kingsessing. This is still Philly and you have to be alert and street "smart."

Old 11-07-2016, 04:46 AM

1 posts, read 687 times
I figure to genuinely answer your question, one would need to solicit what is your feeling from "safe". So before anybody answers, [url="http://www.trueessayhelp.co.uk/"]true-essay-help[/url] we should comprehend what you are utilized to right now with regards to the importance of 'safe'. I trust you do realize that Philadelphia was again appraised at the most hazardous city in the US.

Last edited by aimeenorris; 11-07-2016 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: Written Mistake

Old 11-07-2016, 12:07 PM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
Really?

Old 11-08-2016, 05:07 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I live near 42nd and Baltimore, just a couple of blocks away ... never experienced any type of crime whatsoever in the past 10 years since I bought my Victorian "Twin."

However, there was a mugging several weeks ago at 47th and Kingsessing. This is still Philly and you have to be alert and street "smart."
Just because you haven't been mugged in your neighborhood, it doesn't mean crime doesn't occur. Check Spot Crime or any other number of sites that post police reports.
I find it comical how all the Philadelphia posters live in crime-free neighborhoods. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia