Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 03:50 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Of course,but that still seems a little low for a year! Perhaps those stats are just the crimes that were 'reported'

That could very well be.. I know for a fact I had 2 co workers get killed yeas ago and neither made any sort of paper of news story. I truly believe the Police keep CC murders on the low down when they can, that was verified by a Police Office friend of ours whose beat is CC.. He said that it would hurt visitor numbers if this info got out.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:59 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Of course,but that still seems a little low for a year! Perhaps those stats are just the crimes that were 'reported'
I've been following the crimes reported by the Philadelphia Police Department all year because I'm tired of people misrepresenting areas. There has only be 2 murders in Center City (1 was the guy who was found shot to death in Society Hill, the other was the murder in the PHA housing on 13th street) and there has only been 1 murder in University City (it happened at 40th and Market).

Just so you know, the official boundaries of University City (and the one I use) is this:

Mantua is not included in University City even though some people like to include it. Neighborhoods in University City include Powelton Village, Spruce Hill, Clark Park, Squirrel Hill, Woodland Terrace, Cedar Park and Walnut Hill/Garden Court.

Neighborhoods Of Philadelphia - Graduate Guide - Off-Campus Services at Penn

Old 10-21-2012, 03:59 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I truly believe the Police keep CC murders on the low down when they can, that was verified by a Police Office friend of ours whose beat is CC.. He said that it would hurt visitor numbers if this info got out.
Exactly

Old 10-21-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
That could very well be.. I know for a fact I had 2 co workers get killed yeas ago and neither made any sort of paper of news story. I truly believe the Police keep CC murders on the low down when they can, that was verified by a Police Office friend of ours whose beat is CC.. He said that it would hurt visitor numbers if this info got out.
Really doubt that is true. The official number on the Police Department website is the number that gets reported to the FBI. Why is it so hard to believe that only 2 people have been killed in Center City? So now it's a conspiracy if more people aren't killed in the city

Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Things must've really slowed,because not too long ago there was a bunch of them around campus alone...

Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Things must've really slowed,because not too long ago there was a bunch of them around campus alone...
What is not too long ago to you?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Really doubt that is true. The official number on the Police Department website is the number that gets reported to the FBI. Why is it so hard to believe that only 2 people have been killed in Center City? So now it's a conspiracy if more people aren't killed in the city
Like he said,they city doesn't want to look bad. Why do they keep throwing the heat onto nearby Camden too?
Do your own research,watch the news and you'll see enough things reported on there that surpass what they 'tell' us

Old 10-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Like he said,they city doesn't want to look bad. Why do they keep throwing the heat onto nearby Camden too?
Do your own research,watch the news and you'll see enough things reported on there that surpass what they 'tell' us
Huh? Just follow... and listen to ACTUAL people who live all throughout Center City and University City. They'll report if they heard gunshots or if there was police activity etc.,etc.

I live in Center City myself and don't experience any of the crap you and Frank "claim" we experience.

Oh but it's all one big CONSPIRACY! All these people dying in Center City in neighborhoods with multi-million dollar homes. OMG the city is terrible! Everyone run away in terror.

I'm gonna continue to follow the actual facts, you can continue to follow this falsified conspiracy theory. Just because the numbers don't go your way to support your claims of how bad you THINK the city is doesn't mean it's automatically a conspiracy theory and suddenly every official in the city is trying to hide murders.

If someone was murdered, gunshots would be heard or a body would be found, it would be reported, police activity would be in the area, word would get out on sites like ..., etc. and the news would find out. The news doesn't report on every murder in the city because usually it's people in North Philadelphia who won't report it because they don't want to "snitch."

If there was gunshots in Center City, people would know. Things like that don't go unreported with 60k residents in the vicinity.... and that's not including college students, residents from other parts of the city, suburbanites and tourists all within the area.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-21-2012 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: please do not refer to competing sites

Old 10-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Huh? Just follow ... and listen to ACTUAL people who live all throughout Center City and University City. They'll report if they heard gunshots or if there was police activity etc.,etc.

I live in Center City myself and don't experience any of the crap you and Frank "claim" we experience.

Oh but it's all one big CONSPIRACY! All these people dying in Center City in neighborhoods with multi-million dollar homes. OMG the city is terrible! Everyone run away in terror.

I'm gonna continue to follow the actual facts, you can continue to follow this falsified conspiracy theory. Just because the numbers don't go your way to support your claims of how bad you THINK the city is doesn't mean it's automatically a conspiracy theory and suddenly every official in the city is trying to hide murders.

If someone was murdered, gunshots would be heard or a body would be found, it would be reported, police activity would be in the area, word would get out on sites like ..., etc. and the news would find out. The news doesn't report on every murder in the city because usually it's people in North Philadelphia who won't report it because they don't want to "snitch."

If there was gunshots in Center City, people would know. Things like that don't go unreported with 60k residents in the vicinity.... and that's not including college students, residents from other parts of the city, suburbanites and tourists within the area.
Wow you just sound so naive Ask ...? Really? If there's one thing I've learned in the 9,yes 9 years of being stuck here is to take anything a Philadelphian says with a big grain of salt I wouldn't trust em as far as I could throw em.

The place is a mess and anyone with common sense can see that. Perhaps if you left your center city abode and got out and about more you would certainly see it too as I have.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-21-2012 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: updated previously edited quote/removed reference to competing site

Old 10-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Wow you just sound so naive Ask ...? Really? If there's one thing I've learned in the 9,yes 9 years of being stuck here is to take anything a Philadelphian says with a big grain of salt I wouldn't trust em as far as I could throw em.

The place is a mess and anyone with common sense can see that. Perhaps if you left your center city abode and got out and about more you would certainly see it too as I have.
I actually do leave Center City quite often. I have numerous friend who live in South Philadelphia, University City, Manayunk, Lower North Philadelphia (Fairmount, Northern Liberties and around Temple), and several in the Northeast (1 in Fox Chase, several in Somerton). I also venture all around the city and take pictures.

Don't forget, I also lived next to Temple U for 4 years while I attended school there and this is my first year living in Center City after moving here in August.

The part I highlighted is exactly why you have a biased opinion. You and Frank paint the city in a darker light than the rest of us. You make the city seem worse than it is because you and Frank have personal distaste for Philadelphia. You even said yourself that you are "stuck here." So you come to this forum and complain about it....

I listen to actual facts. I venture all around the city, have friends all around the city and frequent PhiladelphiaSpeaks to see what is going on in the city. I think it's safe to say, that if there were more murders in Center City, people would have found out about it. Things like that don't go unnoticed when you 60k permenant residents within 2 square miles and probably 50k+ more people who venture throughout Center City everyday whether they are tourists, students, suburbanites or residents of other parts of the city.

Maybe it is you who needs to leave your house for once and stop watching the news. In fact, I'm willing to bet that you probably live in the suburbs.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-21-2012 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: updated previously edited quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia