Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 12:12 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The Lombard-South shooting was at 11:30am.

Inept and way too liberal political leadership breeds this nonsense. When a city can't control a friggin' WaWa at one of its key locations (Broad-Walnut), gunfire in a subway station at 11:30am (or any time actually) shouldn't be a surprise.

A friend was at the infamous 12/Walnut Starbucks recently, a location I've warned her about. As she was sitting at a table, two young females were trying to steal her purse as it was hanging on her chair. One of the females was trying to hook my friend's purse with her foot from the next table. lol.

In the meantime, there's a viral video of a SEPTA cop removing a man in a wheelchair from Suburban Station (the city's ''premier'' commuter station that doubles as a homeless shelter). The young man recording the event makes commentary about how the cop called this guy a ''dumb-dumb'' and of course the video is about nothing other than making the cop look bad for disrespecting this guy. Of course the story made the national newspapers about how bad this cop is.

I like Philly, but who needs this anymore?
There's more crime than you probably think in rural areas. I hear about it from my friend who lives in a small town in western Nebraska. A lot of it is drug related. Nebraska is red state with not a lot of liberals, btw.

Chris Watts killed his entire family in suburban Denver just so he could "start over" with his side chick. So there's insanity all over.

As for your friend letting her purse hang from a chair?! My mom told me to never do that in the 1960s. I mean come on... one just needs to use some sense with that.

There's a fascinating youtube vid of Al Capone getting out of Eastern State Penn in 1930. The crowd on Fairmount Ave, cars waiting, excited voices including kids being, awol, I guess from school. But,of course, conservatives always think people were better, kinder, less criminalistic and other untruths about the past.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 PM

409 posts, read 370,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There's more crime than you probably think in rural areas. I hear about it from my friend who lives in a small town in western Nebraska. A lot of it is drug related. Nebraska is red state with not a lot of liberals, btw.

Chris Watts killed his entire family in suburban Denver just so he could "start over" with his side chick. So there's insanity all over.

As for your friend letting her purse hang from a chair?! My mom told me to never do that in the 1960s. I mean come on... one just needs to use some sense with that.

There's a fascinating youtube vid of Al Capone getting out of Eastern State Penn in 1930. The crowd on Fairmount Ave, cars waiting, excited voices including kids being, awol, I guess from school. But,of course, conservatives always think people were better, kinder, less criminalistic and other untruths about the past.
Thanks for your anecdotal evidence. The actual crime statistics are easy to look up. Here's a good illustration:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...tes-by-county/

Old 02-19-2019, 12:55 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Thanks for your anecdotal evidence. The actual crime statistics are easy to look up. Here's a good illustration:

What are you trying to illustate? All I'm wondering is why Alaska is so red and pink.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:01 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:

Got it. Discussing Philly crime should involve ''rural Nebraska'', Chris Watts in Colorado, and Al Capone (yet you just upthread warned about being off topic which you sure do a lot).

Crime is everywhere but Omaha (pop. about 500,000) saw 20 homicides (the majority being ''people of color); Philly pop. 1,500,000 saw 351 homicides (the vast majority being ''people of color'') and 351 is down from peak years yet the most in 10 years).

Nice try in bringing in the ''white crime problem'' around the country though but here in Philly the new crime fighting initiative is racially profiling ''men of color ie black males) between the ages of 16-34 (from high school to middle age). Why is that and what does it have to do with Chris Watts?

Nitwits leave their personal property out on tables, especially phones that are stolen, usually by kids. I can't count the # of times I witnessed this b.s. We've gone over this before.

Didn't say my friend was smart; for starters, she didn't listen to my advice to avoid that Starbucks (she's white and grew up in a safe ''rural'' area and struggles with the reality of Philly crime it seems). She's new to city so by summer she'll be a wary citizen. Anyway, it's not like she left her purse out in the open; she was sitting in the same chair her purse was hanging on so it wasn't like someone tried to grab-n-run with it. Some young girl was trying to quietly ''hook-it'' with her foot from an adjacent table. But I forgot, you blame the victims in these cases; yes, they are the problem...lol.

What was Philly's homicide rate in 1930? You sure like to go way back though with your analogies. So Al Capone is brought into this why? Is it a reference to a time when victims of crime weren't blamed?

If conservatives pine for the ''untruths;'' of the past, liberals, with the assistance of the media, sure have untruths and denials about the present.

Last edited by Kamms; 02-19-2019 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
You can't seriously believe that Sylvester Johnson was a better commissioner than Charles Ramsay??

All I remember about Timoney was him riding around town on his bike as if he was actually going to make arrests.
Sylvester who?

He didn't need to be better than Ramsay to be better than the current commish, whose name I just had to look up (Richard Ross).

Timoney was IIRC the first commissioner to use "Compstat" - deploying officers to areas based on data analysis - as a crime-fighting tool. Word I hear was that this was as effective as "broken window theory" in driving down crime.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:41 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Right, which is why Kenney is ''too liberal''; too much virtue signaling than the past liberal mayors. Kenney also directs the Police Commissioner so the virtue signaling infects the PPD and its ability to do its job.

Your final point is true: competent police commissioners with crime reduction. Perhaps we have an otherwise competent commissioner but for Kenney.

We all know that Kenney undermined the city's judicial system by jumping on the Mill Meek bandwagon so how can he respect law enforcement? Kenney's new social programdisguised as crime fighting turns law enforcement over to ''community activists''; these ''community activists'' are doing volunteer work here though, there's lots of $ available to them.
I don't know why you insist on writing Meek Mill's name backwards, but no matter, I guess.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:55 AM

938 posts, read 446,664 times
Yet another stabbing at a Center City convenience store (Yeah, it seems to happen a lot): This time a man was stabbed four times inside the 7-11 on the 1500 block of JFK Boulevard one o'clock this morning. Hope it wasn't somebody minding their own business.

A guy died after a fight on the 11th Street subway concourse. Four men familiar with one another have been taken into custody. Again, I hope it was personal and not some commuter just trying to go about his business.

South Philly (5th and Dickinson), same neighborhood where a woman almost died from gunfire while watching TV @6th and Wharton: A man was shot seven times. Most likely personal, involving drugs, but could have been over something even more silly.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Old stats but, hey, look at all the crime in red states. And like I said Nebraska isn't great wrt crime.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
What are you trying to illustate? All I'm wondering is why Alaska is so red and pink.
I think he wanted to relay some facts/stats wrt to my anecdote about crime in rural areas. I'm familiar with that because a good friend of mine lives in rural Nebraska where there is more crime than you might think.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:49 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Yet another stabbing at a Center City convenience store (Yeah, it seems to happen a lot): This time a man was stabbed four times inside the 7-11 on the 1500 block of JFK Boulevard one o'clock this morning. Hope it wasn't somebody minding their own business.

A guy died after a fight on the 11th Street subway concourse. Four men familiar with one another have been taken into custody. Again, I hope it was personal and not some commuter just trying to go about his business.

South Philly (5th and Dickinson), same neighborhood where a woman almost died from gunfire while watching TV @6th and Wharton: A man was shot seven times. Most likely personal, involving drugs, but could have been over something even more silly.
The crimes like that in Center City I find the most disturbing. Some don't agree with me, but where are the police? There should be an officer at every major CC intersection at all hours of the day.

I think the man in the SEPTA concourse overdosed and was not beaten (after further investigation).

And I know murder rate is not the only measure of crime, but that that statistic speaks the highest volumes, and Philadelphia is now going to gain the title as "Americas deadliest big city" if this trend does not change...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia