Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 05:52 PM

938 posts, read 446,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

That is fine, your logic as to what makes you feel safe, but at the same time you have to see why someone may not feel safe on the streets of Philadelphia after reading stories like these on the daily.
Exactly. When I (white man) look out for my well-being, I'm an insensitive, judgmental, evil racist.

Other demographics do it, they're 'street-smart.' It's comical and hypocritical.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:09 PM

Last Monday, Center City, 10th and Filbert:

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-police...6-b4ba01c16250

I can't tell if this guy is homeless or not, maybe just a guy having a bad day, couldn't control his emotions and lashed out at someone whose physical appearance really triggered him.
I'm not picking on Center City, but there seems to be a lot of knife attacks down there.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:47 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Exactly. When I (white man) look out for my well-being, I'm an insensitive, judgmental, evil racist.

Other demographics do it, they're 'street-smart.' It's comical and hypocritical.
No.

It's not that one does that that distinguishes a person from being street-smart or aware of one's surroundings and being a bigot or racist.

It's the way in which one does that - that is, the assumptions and preconceptions that go into the heightened awareness.

To be honest, i don't think too many people would characterize me as "street smart." I do a bunch of things others advise against when I venture out both in my neighborhood and beyond it.

But - once again - I'm still here. I haven't gotten robbed, threatened or assaulted either - just panhandled, and I don't consider that threatening.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:15 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
To add on. I stopped using Uber and Lyft a while ago. Lo and behold I just heard about the young woman who was killed getting into a car she thought was her Uber ride. I've gone back to cabs.
I feel women should not use it at night time. I'm a tall black man and I don't even want to use it at night lol

Old 04-02-2019, 06:04 AM

1,397 posts, read 914,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Whoa on that last item.

The reason I brought these two together is because in the "dangerous" neighborhoods, the shootings usually aren't random either,
This is true. No matter where you're talking about, the vast majority of crime is not random. Non-random crime is obviously much higher in the "bad" parts of the city (due to gangs, drugs, poverty, etc) than the "safe" parts and definitely way more than the suburbs.

Quote:
and when they really are, as in the case of the guy who walked into the Del Mar Lounge up my way and offed an employee in the course of a robbery attempt, they're just as shocking.
This is probably not true. If there were a shooting in a bar on the Main Line like the one in Germantown, that would be far more shocking than it was in Germantown, possibly even national news. It was a big story here for a day or two. Even the stabbing of the real estate developer guy was a bigger story than the Germantown shooting, although that was more politicized as well, so I don't know if that's a perfect example or not.

Quote:
Not that the non-random ones shouldn't be. But I'd say that the odds that some unknown assailant will just come up to you and do you bodily harm while you're just going about your businessmight actually be greater in those "good parts" - or at least the good parts where many people congregate. (Of course, the higher number of possible targets also reduces the odds that you will be the target, so it may be a wash. Eyes on the street and all that.)
I don't think this is true, either. There is more of every type of crime in the "bad parts" than the "good parts". It is still true that most crime is not random and that the odds of you being a victim of a truly random crime in a "bad" neighborhood exaggerated and actually very small if you are not doing the type of things that attract crime, but the odds of that happening is much smaller in the "good parts". For example, if the odds of being a victim in Germantown is 1 in 50,000 or something, then it might be 1 in 100,000 in NoLibs and 1 in 1m in Wayne. There are two ways to look at this. First 1 in 50k is 0.002% so being the victim of a random crime in Germantown is very small. Second, the odds of being a victim of such a crime in Germantown is twice as high as NoLibs and 20x greater than Wayne even if all of them are small odds. I just made up these numbers as an illustration so I ma not claiming they are not real statistics, but I suspect that the real numbers are something like this (or at least the proportions between areas are).

Old 04-02-2019, 08:34 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Stabbings make no noise. Maybe why in CC more might be stabbings.

Seems stabbings are a big city crime thing that follows them as transplants out of their original urban areas. Like by me. Another recent stabbing were Philly transplants and crème-of-da-crop kind of people. Welfare for generations as all they know.

The mentality is you disrespect me I" WILL" get even. In my olé hometown by my mothers home I was raised. Walking the dog had me accused by a Philly transplant guy for the dog leaving its duty by their apartment in a home where a common interior entryway to one home exist.

Wasn't my Mother's dog yet the term "You disrespected me" was key in his argument. Just another transplant troubled by his past and withing a couple months was already leaving. But in parking my car then. In the alley by my Mother's home. I had two tires nearly flat with screws in. Only time ever such a thing occurred and no doubt ..... I believe by then two troubled guys who I never saw again.

Its their mentality (they were White as to not be on race). But most transplants from NYC or Philly (most don't stay long-term some do) are your best you can offer types. A State Prison also a draw for family of these in "Da Big House".

So one can see why locals here are not fond of those moving in. Not for work. Big trash Bins show up on row sidewalks. There are rented homes they trash before moving eventually maybe the next county paying few bills till they skip town again too. You see these rows with shut off notices that stay on their doors as those once in it are gone.

You see signs "Buying homes for Cash 800 #'s . Then rented to these people. No such thing as gentrification. Once a block gets dubious. It is generally where trouble occurs and locals left to deal with it.

But true. Such a thread is not complementing Philly no matter how you post what is occurring and where.

Some city's have City Police Crime portals listing crimes by the month in their city. Houston is one.

Houston's crime sight of crimes. Then no need for a thread to list them....

https://www.houstontx.gov/police/nr/2019/mar/index.htm

Old 04-02-2019, 09:09 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
I don't think this is true, either. There is more of every type of crime in the "bad parts" than the "good parts". It is still true that most crime is not random and that the odds of you being a victim of a truly random crime in a "bad" neighborhood exaggerated and actually very small if you are not doing the type of things that attract crime, but the odds of that happening is much smaller in the "good parts". For example, if the odds of being a victim in Germantown is 1 in 50,000 or something, then it might be 1 in 100,000 in NoLibs and 1 in 1m in Wayne. There are two ways to look at this. First 1 in 50k is 0.002% so being the victim of a random crime in Germantown is very small. Second, the odds of being a victim of such a crime in Germantown is twice as high as NoLibs and 20x greater than Wayne even if all of them are small odds. I just made up these numbers as an illustration so I ma not claiming they are not real statistics, but I suspect that the real numbers are something like this (or at least the proportions between areas are).
I'll buy that.

My main concern - and something I've said in various places here, including on this thread, I think - is that people let fear get the better of them. They'll probably be just as fine in a "bad" neighborhood as in a "good" one.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:39 AM

Damn ... there was another robbery in Old City: This time @3rd and New, 10:30 Saturday night.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
I'll buy that.

My main concern - and something I've said in various places here, including on this thread, I think - is that people let fear get the better of them. They'll probably be just as fine in a "bad" neighborhood as in a "good" one.
I don't know. The body count in the city is so high, especially when you look at global figures for first world countries. On the other side, I always think the death toll for automobile accidents is the most overlooked stat regarding safety in the country. People who think they're safer in an auto-centric environment rarely bring up these stats, and the worst part about it, is that it can happen to anyone at any time, and in any place.

Ultimately, our country is incredibly dangerous by first world standards. This city has way way too much crime, violence in particular. At the end of the day, I'll pay to live in a safer neighborhood.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I feel women should not use it at night time. I'm a tall black man and I don't even want to use it at night lol
Why does night time matter? And,yes, I know more crimes happen at night.

I'm not using those services again and time-of-day doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia