Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2021, 08:57 AM

1,465 posts, read 622,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
I saw that and it was disgusting to watch. He was innocent and helpless. Just at the wrong place at the wrong time . I can’t understand why they had to shoot him? They took his money, why did they need to kill him??? Heartbreaking. RIP to the young man.
They kill because they want to see what it feels like and to feel 'big.' They have usually pulled previous robberies and get bored with it, so they graduate to murder. There's no reason for it other than to feed their own egos.

And with our current state of being soft on crime, it's encouraging youths who otherwise wouldn't commit criminal acts, to take their chances. These kid and young adult criminals and wannabe criminals know the current state of affairs and are taking advantage. They talk amongst themselves. They read. They listen. It's all over social media.

The blame not only lies with the individuals, but it lies at the hands of the people raising these kids. Fingers can also be pointed directly at Kenney, Krasner, Outlaw, most all local government officials and the people who voted for them. Look in the mirror.

Listen to Denzel Washington, they keep trying to bait him, but he sticks to the fact that it (raising a law-abiding child) begins at home. Enough with the excuses, crime (including property crime) needs to be punished swiftly and harshly. Keep them away from civilized society. Make them clean up the streets. If that upsets the bleeding hearts, so be it, because what we're doing now isn't working.

Note: I have no faith that Philadelphia will do the right things in my lifetime. That's why I'm leaving.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:17 AM

840 posts, read 693,286 times
Very well stated and factual. Not sure what the longterm solution is but I think its certain that more innocent folks will lose their lives while its figured out. Sadly the excitement/convienience of city life isnt worthwhile the risk to my family and I. I shudder to think of this mans dying thoughts as he held onto his dog and died alone and cold at the hands of people raised with no soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
They kill because they want to see what it feels like and to feel 'big.' They have usually pulled previous robberies and get bored with it, so they graduate to murder. There's no reason for it other than to feed their own egos.

And with our current state of being soft on crime, it's encouraging youths who otherwise wouldn't commit criminal acts, to take their chances. These kid and young adult criminals and wannabe criminals know the current state of affairs and are taking advantage. They talk amongst themselves. They read. They listen. It's all over social media.

The blame not only lies with the individuals, but it lies at the hands of the people raising these kids. Fingers can also be pointed directly at Kenney, Krasner, Outlaw, most all local government officials and the people who voted for them. Look in the mirror.

Listen to Denzel Washington, they keep trying to bait him, but he sticks to the fact that it (raising a law-abiding child) begins at home. Enough with the excuses, crime (including property crime) needs to be punished swiftly and harshly. Keep them away from civilized society. Make them clean up the streets. If that upsets the bleeding hearts, so be it, because what we're doing now isn't working.

Note: I have no faith that Philadelphia will do the right things in my lifetime. That's why I'm leaving.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:33 AM

724 posts, read 403,398 times
Quote:

I agree with this 100%. It really does start at home at an early age. You are also correct about the way crime is being handled now. There is a fine line in either direction (i.e. police brutality/corruption should not occur), but there needs to be "tough" policing. And the narrative that being fair/ethical but "tough" on crime is somehow wrong/offensive, needs to stop. Being soft on crime ends up hurting innocent civilians and keeps bad neighborhoods from prospering.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
I agree with this 100%. It really does start at home at an early age. You are also correct about the way crime is being handled now. There is a fine line in either direction (i.e. police brutality/corruption should not occur), but there needs to be "tough" policing. And the narrative that being fair/ethical but "tough" on crime is somehow wrong/offensive, needs to stop. Being soft on crime ends up hurting innocent civilians and keeps bad neighborhoods from prospering.
We want to arrest the bad guys and keep them off the streets, but the judges, lawyers and politicians are working against us. We want to protect the good people.

And we don't need brutal, bully cops. We need cops who are tough, but fair. We need a system that punishes bad behavior (yes, including bad behavior form law enforcement), that doesn't give a slap on the wrist.

Legalize and regulate marijuana and prostitution and focus on violent, quality of life and property crime.

Build more jails and youth detention centers if need be, because it's supposed to be the government's top priority to protect it's law-abiding citizens.

I'm all for centers that punish, yet help with recovery for non-violent, drug-addicted criminals.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:34 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Very well stated and factual. Not sure what the longterm solution is but I think its certain that more innocent folks will lose their lives while its figured out. Sadly the excitement/convienience of city life isnt worthwhile the risk to my family and I. I shudder to think of this mans dying thoughts as he held onto his dog and died alone and cold at the hands of people raised with no soul.
A great two pages of posts. Good to see realistic thoughts on crime and homicides. Unfortunately realistic thoughts doesn't seem to work in the real world of city politics, especially in the "progressive" era.

And not to get off topic, but your last line was a thought of mine, and almost brought tears to my eyes reading the story about how he was still alive and holding onto his dog when the police arrived. That literally could have been anyone walking their dog for a walk and targeted for no reason whatsoever by a group of soulless beings. Some murder stories stay with me and I have thought about this story for a few days now, such a tragedy. I hope the poor young man was not in pain and faded away peacefully.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:39 PM

403 posts, read 295,966 times
Quote:
You must not know Philadelphia. There are plenty of neighborhoods where you can walk the streets freely in the middle of the night without encountering stragglers.
I live in one.
Im from here, I know the city very well. I have witnessed simple assault in Rittenhouse, when I do my nightly jog at 10 PM, where they get knocked in the face and then there phone stolen and the assailants run away.

I most likely know the city better than you. If you are communicating that freely walking at 3 AM alone anywhere in the city, does not increase the chance some type of crime will happen, then I suggest you actually study crime data in the city and look at what time most crime happens.

Again most of the people commenting, just go by perception without looking at one piece of data.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:46 PM

724 posts, read 403,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A great two pages of posts. Good to see realistic thoughts on crime and homicides. Unfortunately realistic thoughts doesn't seem to work in the real world of city politics, especially in the "progressive" era.

And not to get off topic, but your last line was a thought of mine, and almost brought tears to my eyes reading the story about how he was still alive and holding onto his dog when the police arrived. That literally could have been anyone walking their dog for a walk and targeted for no reason whatsoever by a group of soulless beings. Some murder stories stay with me and I have thought about this story for a few days now, such a tragedy. I hope the poor young man was not in pain and faded away peacefully.
I thought the same thing, and agree that it was heartbreaking. And to add to it, he completely complied with all of their demands and remained clam, not fighting back, yet they still killed him (with his dog next to him). You’ve got to be cold-blooded and lack a soul to disregard a life like that.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Im from here, I know the city very well. I have witnessed simple assault in Rittenhouse, when I do my nightly jog at 10 PM, where they get knocked in the face and then there phone stolen and the assailants run away.

I most likely know the city better than you. If you are communicating that freely walking at 3 AM alone anywhere in the city, does not increase the chance some type of crime will happen, then I suggest you actually study crime data in the city and look at what time most crime happens.

Again most of the people commenting, just go by perception without looking at one piece of data.
It's a big city ...

Old 01-16-2021, 03:16 PM

403 posts, read 295,966 times
Quote:
It's a big city ...
I know that, I am from here.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:41 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,073 times
Arrests have been made:

https://www.inquirer.com/crime/milan...-20210117.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia