Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 10:07 AM

463 posts, read 206,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I agree 100%. There is a bi-partisan failure here. That's more than obvious. So the political pot-shots are completely useless and do literally nothing to solve the problem.

Enforcing the law shouldn't be a political issue; it's common sense and it's not mutually exclusive to fair criminal justice. On the other hand, those who constantly defend the current system of gun laws completely miss the point. There are certainly guns being obtained illegally, and it's on law enforcement to do a much better job with that problem. But many are obtained legally through unregulated purchases. For the 1 millionth time, loopholes DO exist. Here's one where gun purchases can still move forward after 3 days even if a background check is not completed: https://www.everytown.org/solutions/...ston-loophole/

We have to acknowledge that there are gaps and weaknesses here, and everyone is at fault. It's naive and ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
No disagreements here. Plug the gap. You can certainly exercise your Second Amendment right through being a lawful citizen and using good practices and judgment, which start in the home. No reason gun laws should not be written evenly across all states and enforce properly. On the other end, it shouldn't take a year and a half to get a carry permit. That would need to be ironed out.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:08 AM

1,026 posts, read 447,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Someone reaches down to pick up a cell phone, and you decide to shoot him because you feel threatened? And these were teenagers that shot him, according to the article. Interesting, because you need to be 21 in the state of PA to obtain a carry permit, and you need to have a carry permit in order to legally carry a concealed firearm. Clearly a crime was committed by these "innocent teenagers" who were I'm sure just harmlessly hanging around Penn's Landing in the middle of the night. Possession of a concealed weapon without a carry permit, and when you are not legally qualified to obtain a carry permit (in this case due to age), is a felony offense in the state of PA. So why have they not been arrested by Kenney/Outlaw/Krasner? And they wonder why crime has skyrocketed?
I believe you're referring to the Penns Landing shooting, shortly after midnight July 4.

The 2nd/Market shooting is a separate incident that took place July 4 mid-afternoon around 2:30pm or so. Being reported as another escalated to gunfire road rage situation.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I agree 100%. There is a bi-partisan failure here. That's more than obvious. So the political pot-shots are completely useless and do literally nothing to solve the problem.

Enforcing the law shouldn't be a political issue; it's common sense and it's not mutually exclusive to fair criminal justice. On the other hand, those who constantly defend the current system of gun laws completely miss the point. There are certainly guns being obtained illegally, and it's on law enforcement to do a much better job with handling that problem.

But many guns used to commit crimes are obtained legally through unregulated purchases. For the 1 millionth time, loopholes DO exist. Here's one where gun purchases can still move forward after 3 days even if a background check is not completed: https://www.everytown.org/solutions/...ston-loophole/

We have to acknowledge that there are gaps and weaknesses here, and everyone is at fault. It's naive and ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
I absolutely agree with closing loopholes. Why wouldn't everyone want there to be a credible background check process? But again don't think that's the main issue with inner-city gun violence. This is bad people, often involved in gangs, getting guns illegally through the black market. But stronger background checks may help to address some of the mass shooting issues, for example, where people who are mentally unstable are able to buy guns. One could certainly argue that assault weapon (whatever that means) limitations could as well.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:18 AM

1,026 posts, read 447,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"Restorative justice" deals with property crime, not violent crimes against persons, and it's actually an attempt to "make the punishment fit the crime."

Instead of locking up the offender, restorative justice seeks to punish them by having them make the victim whole again, which is a possibility when the crime involves the theft of property or possessions. In practice, however, it could be combined with incarceration if the judge and prosecution consider it warranted, but there would need to be a way for the offender to earn the money needed to compensate the victim for the loss.
That's right, I recall the Restorative Justice deal now.

So it's another ''don't enforce the laws on the books'' as DAs etc create policy to fit their equitable outcome goals; unless of course our laws have been amended to reduce property crimes to ''pay the victim back'' in lieu of jail time or a criminal record.

so, for example. if someone steals your phone, ipad etc....now justice is the victim waiting to be paid back the value of their stolen property/possessions?

Sounds interesting on paper but reality always get in the way.

The Criminal Reform and Restorative Justice policies are only that: policies, not laws on the books. Vague and open ended ''criminal reforms'' designed to create equal outcomes of arrest, criminal records, and incarceration, if needed, at the expense of residents without changing criminal behaviour. I guess if one believes criminal reform is not enforcing the law this all works somehow.

Punishment is reduced to just paying back the value of what you stole? Hmm.

Sounds like this is a branch of the end mass incarceration movement as well.

The RJ policy sounds very vague and open ended as well.

Last edited by MPK21; 07-05-2022 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-05-2022, 10:24 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
That's right, I recall the Restorative Justice deal now.

So it's another ''don't enforce the laws on the books'' as DAs etc create policy to fit their equitable outcome goals; unless of course our laws have been amended to reduce property crimes to ''pay the victim back'' in lieu of jail time or a criminal record.

so, for example. if someone steals your phone, ipad etc....now justice is the victim waiting to be paid back the value of their stolen property/possessions?

Sounds interesting on paper but reality always get in the way.
Giving what you stole back IF you get caught means that there is absolutely no deterrent to committing the crime in the first place. The worst case is you end up with no less than what you had before you committed the crim. Absolutely mindless, nonsensical thinking, which is what you tend to get from progressive liberals (like Kenney). The predictable results are what you see happening in Philly and other Democrat-run cities across the country.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:08 PM

473 posts, read 273,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Apparently this happened during the fireworks show. Adds to the not a good look...

2 police officers shot during Philly July 4th celebration; no arrests made

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20220705.html
Terrible look. People who felt safe bringing their kids into the city now have a lifelong memory of running in sheer terror amongst thousands of people.

Last edited by JamesJay64; 07-05-2022 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-05-2022, 12:38 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Giving what you stole back IF you get caught means that there is absolutely no deterrent to committing the crime in the first place. The worst case is you end up with no less than what you had before you committed the crim. Absolutely mindless, nonsensical thinking, which is what you tend to get from progressive liberals (like Kenney). The predictable results are what you see happening in Philly and other Democrat-run cities across the country.
Absolutely none?

After all, you're stealing it because you expect not to get caught, and if you get caught, paying it back may prove as much a hardship for you as doing time. Chances are you lack either gainful employment, a steady income or both if you're stealing stuff from people.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I appreciated his candidness and transparency last night. All he did was reiterate how most of us feel regarding the countries unhealthy obsession with firearms and legislation preventing anything from happening. Irony- the one time he’s right he catches hate
As mayor, it's really not appropriate to publicly vent about your impotence re: solving the city's most pressing problems. When one is a high profile politician, whose morale impacts the greater public image of the city, it would be prudent to leave venting for close family and friends. We need someone able and willing to do the job.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:30 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Terrible look. People who felt safe bringing their kids into the city now have a lifelong memory of running in sheer terror amongst thousands of people.
Another unfortunate reality.

And Wawa marketed this event a lot (lead sponsor), and the usual trolling began on social media, yet this time it all came true. I love Philadelphia and it's a wonderful city for visitors and residents to enjoy, but I don't blame parents for not wanting to enter the city right now if this kind of crap is a regular occurrence.

As awful as this sounds, if it weren't for the horrific tragedy in Illinois, this incident would be the top story in the nation.

And as a disclaimer for others, I know the country is going down the toilet in terms of gun violence, but I am focused on Philadelphia.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:42 PM

463 posts, read 206,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Another unfortunate reality.

And Wawa marketed this event a lot (lead sponsor), and the usual trolling began on social media, yet this time it all came true. I love Philadelphia and it's a wonderful city for visitors and residents to enjoy, but I don't blame parents for not wanting to enter the city right now if this kind of crap is a regular occurrence.

As awful as this sounds, if it weren't for the horrific tragedy in Illinois, this incident would be the top story in the nation.

And as a disclaimer for others, I know the country is going down the toilet in terms of gun violence, but I am focused on Philadelphia.
This country is going down the toilet fast. We've been in a long slow decline for a long time now. It's definitely speeding up. I will bring my family to no such event anywhere. Any kind of festival, parade, or major event like a concert. No way. Bad things are happening everywhere and anywhere. When lunatics start to shoot up Elementary schools, you know that you've hit the breaking point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia