Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 PM

221 posts, read 400,078 times

Advertisements

Other than literally being a bigger town, I can't think of anything that Norristown would really offer that's better than Lansdale. Also the quality of life is a little lower in my opinion. Ambler's probably your best bet in terms of commuting to Lansdale, having public transportation, and a walkable downtown without going too far. Doylestown is also a great option but it wouldnt be any closer to Center City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Curren Terrace and Norris Hills are ancient complexes and I have no idea what they're like these days, but I would think you would want something a little more upscale. But yeah, your rent range is kind of low. I think the Norristown-Lansdale commute would be at least 30 mins. in rush hour; maybe not as bad if you lived in East Norriton. If I were your age, I'd prefer to live in Conshy; more nightlife, high-rise complexes and hop right on the Expressway to get to the city.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Look in areas around the regional rail stops on the Lansdale/Doylestown line between Lansdale and Jenkintown. That will keep you in a spot that is convenient to the city. Jenkintown is probably too far to stay within your drive time to Lansdale, but only by a few minutes. Ambler is nice because of the movie theater, the theater and restaurants, Fort Washington puts you closer to turnpike and the state park, North Wales and Oreland are small and quiet but have some clustered amenities. Glenside is nice but will be at the top end of your commute time as well.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Any opinions on Curren Terrace or Norris Hills apartments?
Either one is OK; you'd be perfectly safe going out for a jog. Curren Terrace is more neighborhood-y, mixed in with single-family housing, etc. Norris Hills is closer to drug store, dry cleaners, pizza place etc. on Johnson Highway.

The drive to Lansdale would be about 20 minutes using the backroads. I stay off 202 if at all possible.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
Other than literally being a bigger town, I can't think of anything that Norristown would really offer that's better than Lansdale. Also the quality of life is a little lower in my opinion. Ambler's probably your best bet in terms of commuting to Lansdale, having public transportation, and a walkable downtown without going too far. Doylestown is also a great option but it wouldnt be any closer to Center City.
In my opinion, Norristown would be a HUGE step down from Lansdale in terms of saftey and quality of life. Ambler would be a wash in that respect, but has the advantage of being maybe 10 minutes further down the train line to Center City. The reality is that there just isn't a whole lot of excitement in the suburbs for someone who's single and in their 20's. .

Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,885 times
Are the Regatta apartments In a bad area? I have a room mate situation with an old college friend looking to move closer to KOP for her work, and we would be splitting the apartment in half, she would take the larger portion and my rent would be about 700. This beats pretty much anything I could find in lansdale, plus being a runner, being next to the river trail would be wonderful. I do not plan on spending any time in norristown other than to drive through to consh or KOP where most of my social life would take place. I literally have no friends in the lansdale area. This would also be a short term thing ( a year or so) until my boyfriend moves down and we can relocate to a higher COL area.

I know norristown is seedy. However, is the outer area (where regatta is) acceptable? I also will leave for work around 6:45am or 7, so hopefully traffic wouldn't be awful.

I'll continue looking at other complexes, but honestly I'm bored to tears in lansdale. I'm also lonely without a room mate, I tend to sleep better with another person in the house. I'm having crap luck with finding normal people on Craigslist too.

I really appreciate the comments, they are helping me.

Please also keep in mind the reason I'm looking to relocate has a lot to do with the fact that my social life in this state needs to develop. I came here knowing absolutely nobody, and my work population is entirely 55+ or so males. The few females we have are in the same age group. It's not exactly a place I've had luck meeting people, and a lot of my meetup groups are out of KOP and norristown area. The ones I've found in lansdale are mostly
Single mom groups, retiree groups, married people, etc. the fact that i would have a room mate in my age range would also make it sweeter since she knows a lot
Of people.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 PM

Regatta's sort of back by itself in a former commercial area. I was puzzled by the description of it as "waterfront living". If there's a river back there, it's not very big as I can't even see it on the map, and I grew up not far from there. The surrounding area is not particularly great, and you're further into Norristown than you'd be at Norris Hills. Check it out for yourself though.

P.S. OK, just checked the map. It's definitely NOT on the Schuylkill River, and it's "near" but not ON the trail. I would think you'd need to drive to the trail as there's a big bustling area of Main St./Ridge Pike between those apartments and the trail. I don't know where they get off describing themselves as "waterfront".

Last edited by Avalon08; 07-29-2013 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,044 times
Regatta apartments are great....close to lot of shopping the area is safe.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I would think you'd need to drive to the trail as there's a big bustling area of Main St./Ridge Pike between those apartments and the trail.
And a steep hill.

The area is OK, the same neighborhood as Curren Terrace, but tucked away off by itself. Definitely not on the river!

There are some pretty big apartment complexes in East Norriton, along Swede Road and DeKalb Pike. I don't remember their names. They're more isolated and not in neighborhoods like Norris Hills, but you might be able to find something there.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And a steep hill.

The area is OK, the same neighborhood as Curren Terrace, but tucked away off by itself. Definitely not on the river!

There are some pretty big apartment complexes in East Norriton, along Swede Road and DeKalb Pike. I don't remember their names. They're more isolated and not in neighborhoods like Norris Hills, but you might be able to find something there.
I know, I was really chuckling at Regatta's misleading website. Not only the stuff about being "adjacent to" the river and the trail, but a whole bunch of emphasis on rowing and regattas and Boathouse Row, like it's right next-door, complete with way off-scale map.

The apartments may be great, I just don't see the connection. But maybe I'm wrong and there's a whole community of rowers there, who knows.

I know the apartments you mean....I can't remember the name either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia