Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,522,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
It's all North Philly to me.
Well, you're wrong. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 PM

419 posts, read 551,945 times
If you think the Texas heat keeps you indoors, try the damp/cold/dreary long Pittsburgh winter. The weather only permits outdoor activities for 5 months out of the year. The rivers are not as utilized as some on here let on. There is a decent amount about outdoor activities however the weather in Pittsburgh is the poorest of the 3. Very high rain frequency (150+ days/year). You will need to learn to live with very little sunshine. Public transit is better than Portland but that's not saying much. The community feel of Pittsburgh is mostly for those that have lived there their whole life. I am actually moving south so I can enjoy the activities and not have crappy weather interfere with it

Last edited by pghdude28; 04-15-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Well, you're wrong. lol
It's an old argument - just accept that for downtown folk, all of us who live above Vine Street live in North Philly, we just don't know it (extending all the way out to Schuylkill County, apparently).

Outdoors stuff is pretty plentiful in the area, and the Wissahickon Valley in the city is a beautiful and amazing place (which you can easily get to using our excellent public transit system).

Philly is also a city of neighborhoods. I know every city tries to claim to be a city of neighborhoods, but it is truer for Philadelphia than most others. For one, the city itself consists of many small communities which were swallowed up by the growing city of Philadelphia. And you will largely find neighborhoods are pretty unique in terms of identity and culture. It's one of my favorite things about the city - that I'm within such short distance of such drastically different places.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
if it helps, kensington was broken into 7 wards, one of which was fishtown
Political Boundaries of Kensington 1820-1854

Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
if it helps, kensington was broken into 7 wards, one of which was fishtown
Political Boundaries of Kensington 1820-1854
That may be true for the 1800's, but everybody I know recognizes Fishtown as Fishtown and Kensington as Kensington, two different neighborhoods with two different feels. Fishtown was always a step above Kensington ...

Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
That may be true for the 1800's, but everybody I know recognizes Fishtown as Fishtown and Kensington as Kensington, two different neighborhoods with two different feels. Fishtown was always a step above Kensington ...
fishtown is a sub neighborbood of kensington even if people are too snooty to admit it. like north philly where north philly is only the bad parts but the good neighborhoods go by name. thats life i guess. fairmount was part if spring garden now people are trying to label much of old spring garden fairmount. didnt know bridesburg had been a borough

Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
fishtown is a sub neighborbood of kensington even if people are too snooty to admit it. like north philly where north philly is only the bad parts but the good neighborhoods go by name. thats life i guess. fairmount was part if spring garden now people are trying to label much of old spring garden fairmount. didnt know bridesburg had been a borough
But now and in the present, Kensington and Fishtown are two different neighborhoods. NOBODY considers Fishtown to be a "sub neighborhood" of Kensington.
Things change ... West of Aramingo Ave, which used to be Bridesburg, is now "Frankford Valley."

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM

20 posts, read 39,341 times
Thanks so much for the responses. These have actually made me want to move to Philadelphia even more.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM

275 posts, read 416,363 times
I think the main difference is that Philadelphia has a larger and more vibrant urban core than Portland or Pittsburgh. Personally, because I like all the amenities a big city provides, I would never choose to live in a place like Pittsburgh or Portland. I also love all the charming rowhomes here. They're all fine cities though and I wouldn't mind living in any of them either.

Some people feel more comfortable in smaller cities and find big cities to be alienating and/or impersonal. So it's ultimately up to your personal preference. Do you like very large cities (Philadelphia), smaller cities (Pittsburgh), or small cities (Portland)?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Some people feel more comfortable in smaller cities and find big cities to be alienating and/or impersonal. So it's ultimately up to your personal preference. Do you like very large cities (Philadelphia), smaller cities (Pittsburgh), or small cities (Portland)?
I think it ultimately comes down to this question above. +1

The only thoughts I will add to what's already been shared is that summer in Philly will be a welcome relief from summer in Texas. I moved here a few years back after 26 years in Houston. Summer here is nothing like that. Yes, we have waves that roll through that will make you think you're back down south, but they typically roll back out after a few days. It is not the month-after-month wall of unrelenting heat and humidity down Houston way. Another difference is that in all but the most severe heat waves, temps typically cool down sufficiently after sunset that you can enjoy being outside in the evening.

I know that locals generally feel summer is unpleasant. Texan to Texan - it's a piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia