Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:42 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times

Advertisements

Tastykakes?!

Well, not so much for me anymore, but back in the 70s while growing up in Cherry Hill, I fell in love with them, like most real Philadrlphians.

Still love those Peanut Butter Kandykaes -- for the rare time I eat packaged treats.

Now, I insist on bakery items, and not just any bakery. I like the cookies still warm (hard to time my visit) and the cupcakes made fresh daily.

But Tastykaes were/still are (?) a part of the fabric of Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:23 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
The architecture ... the history ... the museums ... the neighborhoods ... the restaurants ... the music scene ...

Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UL885 View Post
High walk score, museums, the history, galleries, the Philadelphia Philharmonic, top notch educational institutions, great hospitals, Reading Terminal Market, local farmer's markets scattered throughout the city, something for all ages!
To elaborate on "walk score" -> http://www.walkscore.com/score/<zipCode>, e.g. Philadelphia PA - Walk Score, or just start at the home page: Find Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Get Your Walk Score.

And to add to the list: friendly-in-their-own-way people; Broad St run; beautiful parks and trails, esp'ly along the Schuylkill; historic sites everywhere; huge variety of neighborhoods; well-integrated 'hoods (Mt Airy); unpredictable sports teams; offbeat and interesting activities (e.g., Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby &mdash; Visit Philadelphia &mdash; visitphilly.com, Funeral for a Home | Commemoration of the slow decline and gradual rebirth of Philadelphia just in the past month); lots of volunteer opportunities; easy access to NYC; and on and on.

In a couple of weeks it will be 6 years since my wife and I moved here from Chapel Hill NC. We couldn't be happier. We're not unrealistic about some of the city's issues - there are areas with high crime; littering seems to be mandatory in some places; driving can lead to unexpected adventures - but all things considered (who we are, what we can afford, etc.), it was the best thing we've ever done.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 AM

84 posts, read 90,185 times
I like how spontaneous you can be in the city if you work downtown. April - October in particular there is a very good after work happy hour vibe. So many places, so close together. People work and play in the same area, not some distant financial district. If the weather is nice out and you fancy a beer, you don't have to change your evening plans, you just do it. It's actually a lot more of a vibrant town than people give it credit for.

Other things

- Walkability (is that a word?)
- Restaurants
- Very affordable for an East Coast city
- Proximity to NY / DC (both great cities in different ways)

A lot of my american friends say history but I am British so it doesn't seem that old for me.

Philly is a cool, genuine city.

Dislikes - It could do with being a little more transient, not in a DC/NY way but having a few more outsiders helps a city in many ways. I work all over and there is not as many trendy or good looking people as some other major American cities (have I just made board enemies now?).

Old 06-07-2014, 02:53 PM

221 posts, read 400,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK85 View Post
Dislikes - It could do with being a little more transient.
After growing up here, living in DC for five years, and moving back I'd have to say that Philly being less transient is one of my favorite things about the area in general. There's such a stronger local culture.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:51 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
I think the reason philly isn't very "transient" is because most people who move here assimilate

Last edited by MikeNigh; 06-07-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
Every weekend is like a vacation.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM

186 posts, read 427,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I think the reason philly isn't very "transient" is because most people who move here assimilate

Yeah, and have replaced most native Philadelphians...interestingly.

As someone who grew up in the Philly area, moved away, and then moved back I can say that I disagree with the rosy viewpoint shared amongst most other replies. Philly has definitely lost its genuine nature (at least the nature I grew up knowing) over the years, as more people move here from other places, and stay, it will continue to do so. I feel many of the things that once made Philly unique (in my eyes) don't seem so apparent anymore because unless you go to the few "institutions" that remain, you never really encounter any true Philadelphians, just a bunch of people from other places with a whole bunch of identities that are NOT Philly. Maybe that's the nature of how cities transform...who knows, but it's kinda sad.

Not trying to detract from the overall positive vibe of the thread, I just see it from a different perspective. I would love to know how many people here are actually from Philly, or just someplace outside of Philly proper like Chestnut Hill...or how many are from someplace else altogether.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:20 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephil View Post
Yeah, and have replaced most native Philadelphians...interestingly.

As someone who grew up in the Philly area, moved away, and then moved back I can say that I disagree with the rosy viewpoint shared amongst most other replies. Philly has definitely lost its genuine nature (at least the nature I grew up knowing) over the years, as more people move here from other places, and stay, it will continue to do so. I feel many of the things that once made Philly unique (in my eyes) don't seem so apparent anymore because unless you go to the few "institutions" that remain, you never really encounter any true Philadelphians, just a bunch of people from other places with a whole bunch of identities that are NOT Philly. Maybe that's the nature of how cities transform...who knows, but it's kinda sad.

Not trying to detract from the overall positive vibe of the thread, I just see it from a different perspective. I would love to know how many people here are actually from Philly, or just someplace outside of Philly proper like Chestnut Hill...or how many are from someplace else altogether.
You may have some points but not every native Philadelphian is the same either. Chesnut Hill IS actually in the city proper and yes, they would have a different perspective than someone from Mayfair. I am from East Mount Airy and now live in Germantown. Northeast Philly natives often seem to have the same sentiment as you, but they often grew up not really knowing much about other parts of the city (just my opinion).

Old 06-10-2014, 01:32 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You may have some points but not every native Philadelphian is the same either. Chesnut Hill IS actually in the city proper and yes, they would have a different perspective than someone from Mayfair. I am from East Mount Airy and now live in Germantown. Northeast Philly natives often seem to have the same sentiment as you, but they often grew up not really knowing much about other parts of the city (just my opinion).
yes, including not even knowing what comprises NW Philadelphia!

(to be fair, the same would go for lots of folks from NW Philly having zero clue about the Northeast)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia