Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:30 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Delaware County, but moved out of the area for quite a while. When I came back, I chose Chester County (not Chester City!) to look for a home. You may want to check out Malvern as it is a nice area, good schools, and has a small downtown also. It has a train stop for the SEPTA Regional Rail, and you can be in Center City Philly in about 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 AM

43 posts, read 46,569 times
At the moment it looks like we will be concentrating on the Abington/Glenside area.
It seems to tick all our boxes , plus gives us faster access to NYC area (where the in-laws live), the shore and PA countryside.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:42 AM

Are there any areas to stay away from in that area? It doesn't seem so to me.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:40 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
If you like Abington/Glenside (also Jenkintown is within this general area); I would consider Ambler and North Wales as well (just north of Glenside and Abington). Each of those towns are lovely. Ambler has a charming main street, with restaurants and shops. The real estate is a bit pricier though. (not sure of your budget).

I would also not discount checking out Media, PA when you come to look at the area. It is a lovely area, with a very very vibrant downtown (there is a Trader Joe's market right downtown that is easily walkable). You are right on 95, so it is accessible to get to NYC and the Chester County countryside is lovely.

Honestly I would just make a list. And drive around. You will instantly get a feel for what area you like best. Most of Southeast PA though is very pretty and charming with historic architecture.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 10-25-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

I would also not discount checking out Media, PA when you come to look at the area. It is a lovely area, with a very very vibrant downtown (there is a Trader Joe's market right downtown that is easily walkable). You are right on 95, so it is accessible to get to NYC and the Chester County countryside is lovely.

Media is in Delaware County. Just sayin.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:16 AM

I wish we'd have the opportunity to come and drive around before our move. We live in Germany and we'd at least like to have it down to the school district, so the kids don't have to switch schools more than once this school year. We are planning on renting first and then narrowing it down within the district.

And I understand that my wish list might just not be realistic for the area. Most important is that it's a kid friendly neighborhood - where they can walk/bicycle to their friends/parks/playgrounds. A village area like Keswick village would be lovely for the smaller shopping trips and nights out! At the same time we really enjoy long walks through fields and forest. (We were so lucky to find all this where we live right now and still have all big shopping and two larger cities within 30-45 min drive).

However - my husband will be working Philadelphia City Center, so we need easy access to train station.
*Sigh*

The general area will be Abington/Glenside and I also looked at Ambler, although here I am not sure which school district to check out.
Any more suggestions, tips and hints would be very highly appreciated.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleyna73 View Post
I wish we'd have the opportunity to come and drive around before our move. We live in Germany and we'd at least like to have it down to the school district, so the kids don't have to switch schools more than once this school year. We are planning on renting first and then narrowing it down within the district.

And I understand that my wish list might just not be realistic for the area. Most important is that it's a kid friendly neighborhood - where they can walk/bicycle to their friends/parks/playgrounds. A village area like Keswick village would be lovely for the smaller shopping trips and nights out! At the same time we really enjoy long walks through fields and forest. (We were so lucky to find all this where we live right now and still have all big shopping and two larger cities within 30-45 min drive).

However - my husband will be working Philadelphia City Center, so we need easy access to train station.
*Sigh*

The general area will be Abington/Glenside and I also looked at Ambler, although here I am not sure which school district to check out.
Any more suggestions, tips and hints would be very highly appreciated.
Ambler Borough is in the Wissahickon School District, which is very well-regarded.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Ambler Borough is in the Wissahickon School District, which is very well-regarded.
Thank you! When I checked out Ambler there were 2 or 3 different school district mentioned for that area, so I was confused. I appreciate it.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:45 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Yes Ambler is going to have more open space than Abington, but also have a Main Street with the amenities you are seeking, and therefore I would recommend that over Abington. But both are absolutely lovely areas!

Old 11-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yes Ambler is going to have more open space than Abington, but also have a Main Street with the amenities you are seeking, and therefore I would recommend that over Abington. But both are absolutely lovely areas!
It's good to hear that we can't go wrong, no matter which one we chose : )

Can you tell me how Jenkintown compare with Abington and Ambler? I understand that Jenkintown also has a lovely little downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia