Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 01:23 AM

43 posts, read 46,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Putting a plug in here for Christkindlmarkt in Bethlehem PA, about an hour North of Philly. Christmas City — Bethlehem, PA Bethlehem calls itself Christmas City and is a wonderful place to go around the Christmas Holiday. They have a huge celebration of all things Christmas with crafts, food, and many, many items from Germany. The city will be decorated and there are horse drawn carriages.
I have actually been to Bethlehem PA many, many moons ago (in 2003) when we lived in NJ, because I missed "my" Christmas Markets so much. It was really a neat place to visit and get into the spirit of the season!
The only thing that I missed was mulled wine, but that might have changed since then. Thank you for recommending that again, toobusytoday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I live in the Oakmont section of Havertown, which is the name of an unincorporated town in Haverford Township (not to totally confuse you...lol). I love Havertown. It's a little less walkable than, say, Ardmore or Media, but it's not the suburban sprawl of Plymouth Meeting either. I live right off the main thoroughfare of my neighborhood (Darby Road) and can walk to several restaurants, a convenience store, the place I go for yoga, and the weekly farmer's market, among others. I know I'm biased, but I truly think it's a great mix of family-friendly and walkable.

In searches, look for Havertown, PA.

Hi Flyergirl - this sounds really good to me! I like that mixture : )
My husband always laughs when I put "must have sidewalks" on my neighborhood checklist. Are there any parks nearby? Do you know about school sports activities or things for Preteens to do? E.g. movie theater?

We want to rent first but want to at least get the school district right so the kids don't have to switch schools again.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:38 AM

Alright - talked with the hubby and it looks like we are down to these two school districts:
Abington and Haverford (Havertown) Township.

We have chosen these in regards to school ratings, average housing costs, shops/restaurants and easy access to Philadelphia by train as well as "walkability". Can anyone tell me where it would be "more fun" for our boys (10 & 12) in regards to parks, playground, movie theaters, things to do... ? Looking at online ratings both neighborhood seem very popular with families so it's hard to choose. We prefer suburb to urban surroundings and I like to be able to walk/ride my bike to get a litre of milk instead of driving 10 min to Walmart. Not sure if that's do-able, lol. Also access to medical center is important.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleyna73 View Post
Alright - talked with the hubby and it looks like we are down to these two school districts:

We have chosen these in regards to school ratings, average housing costs, shops/restaurants and easy access to Philadelphia by train as well as "walkability". Can anyone tell me where it would be "more fun" for our boys (10 & 12) in regards to parks, playground, movie theaters, things to do... ? Looking at online ratings both neighborhood seem very popular with families so it's hard to choose. We prefer suburb to urban surroundings and I like to be able to walk/ride my bike to get a litre of milk instead of driving 10 min to Walmart. Not sure if that's do-able, lol. Also access to medical center is important.
Fyi, there are multiple communities within Haverford Twp; it's not just Havertown. Also there is no direct train access to downtown Philadelphia from Havertown. The pub transit options are 103 bus or Norristown High Speed Line(NHSL) which both take you to the 69th St Transportation Ctr. From there you would take the Market Frankford Line(MFL) to Center City.

Some of the other places suggested, like Media or Jenkintown, have direct transit to Center City.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:03 AM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Fyi, there are multiple communities within Haverford Twp; it's not just Havertown. Also there is no direct train access to downtown Philadelphia from Havertown. The pub transit options are 103 bus or Norristown High Speed Line(NHSL) which both take you to the 69th St Transportation Ctr. From there you would take the Market Frankford Line(MFL) to Center City.

Some of the other places suggested, like Media or Jenkintown, have direct transit to Center City.
The Ardmore or Wynnewood stations on the former R5 line are only a 5-10 min drive from Havertown. That adds a little inconvenience to the trip, but I would do that to get to Center City instead of taking the Norristown HS line and Market L.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:48 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,056 times
Quote:

No movie theaters in walking distance in Havertown (there used to be many moons ago, on Brookline Boulevard; it's now a gym but still has the marquee). There are a number of parks in Haverford Township. Here's a good link that lists them all and states what amenities each have (playground, etc.). Listed at the same link are trails for walking/jogging/biking. The most walkable areas of Havertown are surrounding the Eagle Road/Darby Road intersection and Brookline Boulevard, so perhaps the Oakmont and Brookline sections would work for you. Haverford Township Day is coming up on Saturday, October 7. Craft vendors, food, music, zip line, rides for young kids, free skate inside the Skatium, and more. I use this day to kick off my Christmas shopping! The Township of Haverford, Pennsylvania / Haverford Township Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The Ardmore or Wynnewood stations on the former R5 line are only a 5-10 min drive from Havertown. That adds a little inconvenience to the trip, but I would do that to get to Center City instead of taking the Norristown HS line and Market L.

This is what I used to do when I would reverse commute to my job in Malvern. I drove from Havertown over to the Ardmore R5 station and parked in the lot on the Suburban Square side of the tracks for $1 a day.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:54 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Correct. Take a look at this map for the township and you'll see that it encompasses Havertown, South Ardmore, Haverford, and Bryn Mawr. Haverford is more expensive housing-wise than the other three, but as long as you live within those boundaries, your children would go to Haverford Township schools.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Correct. Take a look at this map for the township and you'll see that it encompasses Havertown, South Ardmore, Haverford, and Bryn Mawr. Haverford is more expensive housing-wise than the other three, but as long as you live within those boundaries, your children would go to Haverford Township schools.
Thank you for all those wonderful infos, flyergirl! Your support means a lot to me.

Looking at the different Haverford sections I truly got confused with Haverford Township and Havertown. In another thread on the forum I read something about "other side of the track" in Havertown. Do you know what that means?
I will check out the link with the parks (thank you again!) and it's fine that not everything is within walking distance - it's not like we have one within walking distance here. What I wanted to know was just what's there to do for the kiddos/ budding Preteens.

In regards to taking the train we where thinking about the Ardmore station. Most areas one would have to drive to the train station anyways. I'm truly biased now towards Haverford, lol.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 AM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Thank you for all those wonderful infos, flyergirl! Your support means a lot to me.

Looking at the different Haverford sections I truly got confused with Haverford Township and Havertown. In another thread on the forum I read something about "other side of the track" in Havertown. Do you know what that means?
I will check out the link with the parks (thank you again!) and it's fine that not everything is within walking distance - it's not like we have one within walking distance here. What I wanted to know was just what's there to do for the kiddos/ budding Preteens.

In regards to taking the train we where thinking about the Ardmore station. Most areas one would have to drive to the train station anyways. I'm truly biased now towards Haverford, lol.
The "other side of the tracks" reference may be to the high speed line tracks, which run along Haverford Ave. On the side towards Lower Merion is super wealthy Main Line, and on the Havertown side is more middle class Main Line. Any such reference would have to be taken tongue-in-cheek. There is no "bad side" of Haverford. LOL.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The "other side of the tracks" reference may be to the high speed line tracks, which run along Haverford Ave. On the side towards Lower Merion is super wealthy Main Line, and on the Havertown side is more middle class Main Line. Any such reference would have to be taken tongue-in-cheek. There is no "bad side" of Haverford. LOL.

That's good to know - thank you!

I wonder if anyone can tell me the neighborhoods to look for in the Abington School district?
The Glenside downtown area seems really neat (thank you, google maps), so to be somewhat close to it would be nice. Any area to look for specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia