Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:05 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Such as? Why would you leave us hanging? Name them all.

Historically we can assume that an area that is racially accepting of both whites and blacks will be accepting of any other races. You won't see whites and blacks ban together to keep out Hispanics, for example. Point being, I would feel comfortable sending anyone to My Airy.
I’d be comfortable sending anyone to Mt. Airy, too; that’s why I said “It absolutely has a multicultural mindset, and I’m sure the residents would be pleased as punch if it became equally divided between people of all races.” But that’s a separate issue from its racial diversity index, which is lower than Cheltenham Township (and only the slightest bit higher than Chestnut Hill). When I have a little more time I’m going to run the numbers for more neighborhoods and post them here.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 AM

409 posts, read 370,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
When I have a little more time I’m going to run the numbers for more neighborhoods and post them here.
The racial discussion may be worth its own thread. Philadelphia is one of the more "unique" cities in the country when it comes to diversity (historically and today). I'm sure lots of people moving-in are unaware about it and would appreciate the information.

This is a good primer: OPINION: Philly Isn’t Charlottesville. It’s Worse.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:45 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
The racial discussion may be worth its own thread. Philadelphia is one of the more "unique" cities in the country when it comes to diversity (historically and today). I'm sure lots of people moving-in are unaware about it and would appreciate the information.

Don't ever use an article from Ernest Owens. He is trash. I refuse to click on any slop he puts together.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:54 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Many years ago, I lived in various neighborhoods of Philadelphia and visited friends in Mount Airy. When I think of diversity, I think beyond ethnic diversity. In Mt. Airy, I was struck by the acceptance of gays, alternative lifestyles, mixed race marriages and this was 25 years ago. There was such a spirit of inclusiveness, community and progressive thinking that I hadn't experienced elsewhere in the City.

Last edited by Maddie104; 11-13-2018 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 10:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,439,225 times
I'm still waiting to hear about the number of towns with higher racial diversity than Mt Airy.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 PM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I'm still waiting to hear about the number of towns with higher racial diversity than Mt Airy.
My life doesn’t revolve around this forum (or you). Now, if you could pay me to write City-Data posts instead of bill hours, that would be another story.

If not tonight, give me a day or two and I’ll report everything here. Just so you know, I’ll be entering a neighborhood’s (or in some cases, a municipality’s) percentage of non-Hispanic white, African American, Asian American, Hispanic/Latino, mixed race, and “other” residents, according to most recent census survey data, into this calculator and report the “true diversity” indices.

Does that sound fair to you, Mississippi wildcat?

Old 11-14-2018, 05:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,317,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
No offense to rowhomecity, but I don’t know why people keep referring to Mt. Airy as the hallmark of diversity. It absolutely has a multicultural mindset, and I’m sure the residents would be pleased as punch if it became equally divided between people of all races, but it’s overwhelmingly white and black. There is some religious diversity, with a substantial Jewish (and perhaps also Muslim?) population, and it does have significant socioeconomic diversity, but there are a number of more racially diverse desirable neighborhoods in the area.
I agree. The northeast takes the cake for the king of diversity of the region. Specifically Oxford Circle. Unfortunately Oxford Circle housing stock is not as diverse that the OP's budget has ample inventory. (A problem induced in land use planning and why Mt. Airy is so great because it has such diverse housing stock).

Philadelphia has one of the largest African American populations in the nation, and too witness that positive integration within Mt. Airy since the 60s is quite special and to still exist today. I see your point, and I am aware of multi cultural diversity in other regions of the city, but to discount Mt. Airy in terms of this OP is silly.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:49 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post

There are two regular posters on this board who know Ernest O. It seems that some of what he writes about is sort of fraudulent and he actually behaves like a social climber. Since I haven't seen any bylines from him in a long time maybe he's left Phila.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,317,076 times
This forum needs a breather. The OP weighed out. And 650k budget with a value in diversity buys you Mt. Airy or Cheltenham hands DOWN!

Both have the unique opportunity of having diverse housing stocks that support these amazing communities.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:01 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
This forum needs a breather. The OP weighed out. And 650k budget with a value in diversity buys you Mt. Airy or Cheltenham hands DOWN!

Both have the unique opportunity of having diverse housing stocks that support these amazing communities.
Unless the mod, who isn't you !, comes to this thread and says it needs a "breather" just let the rest of us say whatever we please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia