Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2024, 04:20 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,445,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
You came on here and said something intentionally stupid and insulting and now you're trying to act all indignant because people reacted to it with derision. GTFOH. You shouldn't contribute to the discussion because what you're saying is stupid and insulting, not because you don't live here.
Very nice and thoughtful, full of grace. You must be proud.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:24 PM

[quote=thedirtypirate;66721927]Lol. Since you have the arrogance to imply others aren't responding intelligently, lets rewind the tape here for a second (I'm just reading these posts now anyway). You stated:

I mean, in reality, this is an ignorant statement. What else do you want people t

Well thanks, you all make one feel so much more comfortable to be in Philly. Let me rush right in.
Maybe try getting a look when your head is out of the sand sometime.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:18 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,633,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I was thinking more middle school, but anyway... I guess since I don't live here I can't contribute to the discussion. or is it that I don't agree with the cool kids... either way, I got the message loud and clear. I asked for clarification because I thought maybe someone would re-examine their words or tone. I guess they did, and they meant it. So yeah. nice
This is a public forum and you've expressed your point of view. But it's absolutely fair game for others to respond to you, in kind, if they disagree. If you haven't experienced this before or don't like it, maybe City-Data isn't for you.

It's not "name calling" to suggest someone is expressing an irrational point of view. It's simply calling out whether logical reasoning is the basis of someone's argumentation.

When logical reasoning isn't being used, there's no point in having any kind of discussion, especially about a topic as contentious as law enforcement and criminal justice.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:44 PM

14,289 posts, read 9,161,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Of course it's expected to immediately get the ''it happened in other cities as well'' response but my post is rooted in your 2nd paragraph/1st sentence. Of course it was the post-2020 George Floyd lie protests followed by a wild west few years of gun violence mayhem; about 1,800 black folks were killed by other black folks, something I've been stating about the collateral fallout from the white misfits using the black community as a means for their own personal and political ends, akin to the 2nd article you cite: white people use the black community and the black community suffers the deadly consequences

You should update the ''righteous outrage'' in 2024 related to the 2020 article given that the entire Floyd thing is and was based on a lie. Same as this Criminal Reform, DEI, Drivers' Equality Bill nonsense....all b.s. with dangerous consequences.

Philly's not-so-great image did take a big hit from 2020-2023 due to the gun violence and murders, the hands-off prosecution from you-know-who etc and as recently as last fall when Meatball became a national hit looting the Apple Store on Walnut.

But hey, the self-anointed white folks determined to fix black folks lives because these patronizing racists think they can't do things for themselves, did the job: the Rizzo Statue and Mural are gone! (but don't mention the 1,800 dead black folks, including lots of black kids, when the white movement known as BLM abruptly ended on November 7, 2020).
I do need to correct two of your statements here.

1) The George Floyd riots were triggered by an actual event, not "based on a lie." Floyd really did die under the knee of a Minneapolis poiice officer who kept it on his neck for seven minutes. The cop even had something that rarely happens to cops happen to him: He got convicted on manslaughter charges. (I think it was manslaughter, but it may have been murder.) But as with other controversies, people with other agendas rode the event to their own ends. Both my own essay and that one in The Bulwark rest on the premise that George Floyd's killing was a fact. If you believe it wasn't, please explain why.

2) Black Lives Matter was indeed founded by Blacks — specifically, the three Black lesbian women mentioned in this Wikipedia article on the movement. It does seem to have morphed into something more whites than Blacks pour energy into, but given that it's a diffuse (and not formally organized) movement, this really isn't a sign of where its roots lie. i did joke to my Black friends when I moved onto the block of Pulaski Avenue I now call home in Germantown that "I know progressive white folks live on this block because i saw three Black Lives Matter yard signs on it," but one of the three houses sporting a BLM yard sign had Black folks living in it (and had red, black and green trim on its porch railing; I guarantee you that Black Liberation colors remain very much a Black thing).

Old 05-10-2024, 11:06 PM

14,289 posts, read 9,161,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well what a lovely discussion we are having here.. If you think that I am being a sensationalist (bye '???) and based on no reality, we have more of a problem here. Calling names and belittling? Seriously

Please, I know I've seen more intelligent discourse here and I hope this was a one off.
Well, I didn't get arch or snippy about it, but I trust you took from my response the sense that I thought you exaggerated the situation greatly.

Most of us who responded live here. And I'd say most of us know that things aren't all peachy keen here. Many of us have glass-half-full/glass-half-empty conversations about the state of the city and of crime and disorder in it. But I don't think any of us would characterize the situation as "out of control" unless you were talking about Kensington.

And those of us who have been following news of the protests and encampments would more likely than not agree with me if I said your description of them in that post was also exaggerated — greatly.

You're free to continue to not visit this city. But I at least would suggest that you would get a more accurate view of the situation if you set your fear aside and visited it. Too many of us let excessive fear govern our lives.

(And I say this as someone who just barely missed getting shot on Germantown's main shopping street one afternoon two summers ago.)

Old Today, 04:43 PM

Well, thank you MArketStE for a thoughtful post explaining . It was reassuring to see one kind post.

I have been on there forums for many years and have never encountered such nastiness and vitriol. I really am surprised to see it and I don't think it can be justified.

Old Today, 05:05 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,580,361 times
Closed for mod review

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia