Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2024, 10:13 AM

842 posts, read 699,409 times

Advertisements

I've read studies from San Fransisco & New York where between 65-93% (depending on where study was conducted) of homeless refuse shelter. When people refuse assistance, it should not be at the burden or residents who have to deal with tent cities, public defecation etc-. I'm glad that municipalities are now pushing for a more forceful solution after realizing that handouts alone are not solving the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I like that idea, but it may be illegal to forcibly ship American citizens out of one state to another. We do have an open state travel and residency status for citizens. However, it may not come to that. Many of these addicts have refused treatment, which is fine - their choice. Parker has already stated those who refuse a treatment facility will be jailed. I assume she means, next time they steal, squat in areas where squatting is illegal, defecate in public, etc... basically, commit any crime, they will be sent to jail. That's the "forced" rehab. Works for me, personally. It only takes a few weeks to get the drugs out one's system in most incidences. Will that stop the urge to use or address underlying mental/emotional issues for all addicts? No, but for some it will.

Regardless, it's a start to get the city's ground zero cleaned up and allow construction to get rolling down there in Kensington. Junkies like dark, ignored areas. They're not going to come back in six months to a place that looks like the below maps view of this block (1700 N Front street); which, BTW, didn't look all that different from deep Kensington a few years ago. I can only imagine the number of developers frothing at the mouth to get some vacant lots for pennies on the dollar and put up some townhomes, condos and street-facing commercial.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9753...8192?entry=ttu

Old 05-09-2024, 10:14 AM

1,407 posts, read 931,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
George Floyd Weekend did lead me to pen this essay, but I don't think that the city's image took that much of a hit because of the Walnut Street rampage, even if it followed a script written in advance.

But the reason Philly's image didn't suffer a hit was: There were similar riots in other cities that weekend, and anyway, the events in Minneapolis itself sucked up most of the media oxygen.

I'd say the pandemic crime spike has caused more damage to the city's image, and the Kensington opioid bazaar even more. Crime has fallen since the pandemic spike, and yet you see and hear people (like Mayvenne) talking as though this place were still "Killadelphia," where you took your life into your hands every time you left home. But the videos of Kensington Avenue have gone viral multiple times over, and that's led some to think that most of Philadelphia looks like that. I'm glad Mayor Parker has chosen to finally clean that up.
Even the pandemic spike didn't rise to the level of violent crime at its peak in the 80s/early 90s. Crime rates across the country had been falling for nearly 30 years before 2020 when Trump started squawking about how US cities were war zones that are no-go areas for his base of scared white people who would never even go to a big city anyway. To this day, I still have brainwashed Trump cult friends who swear to me that there are gangs of illegal immigrants terrorizing any normal citizens who dare enter Philadelphia or any big city. I don't know whether to laugh at them or cry because they exist.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I've read studies from San Fransisco & New York where between 65-93% (depending on where study was conducted) of homeless refuse shelter. When people refuse assistance, it should not be at the burden or residents who have to deal with tent cities, public defecation etc-. I'm glad that municipalities are now pushing for a more forceful solution after realizing that handouts alone are not solving the issue.
Mental health/illness is really the driver of a lot of these problems, and it started when we started closing asylums and forcing mentally ill people out into the streets in the 80s. I'm glad the city is being proactive about the issue, but it's likely that there is a better solution with an involuntary mental health/social services type place that would be better (and cheaper) than prison to house them.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:28 AM

14,290 posts, read 9,167,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Mental health/illness is really the driver of a lot of these problems, and it started when we started closing asylums and forcing mentally ill people out into the streets in the 80s. I'm glad the city is being proactive about the issue, but it's likely that there is a better solution with an involuntary mental health/social services type place that would be better (and cheaper) than prison to house them.
The mental hospitals got closed because the conditions within them were also pretty horrific; the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" scratched the surface of the problem, while the documentary "Titicut Follies" — which could not and I believe still cannot be screened in the state containing the mental hospital (still open) it was shot in — provides a rawer depiction of it.

The problem was: The advocates for their closure envisioned a system of community- or neighborhood-based residential facilities where treatment and services could be provided. But many states simply saw a way to get a large expense off their ledger books and closed them anyway without any replacements in place.

We've been paying the (IMO even higher) price for those decisions ever since.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
The mental hospitals got closed because the conditions within them were also pretty horrific; the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" scratched the surface of the problem, while the documentary "Titicut Follies" — which could not and I believe still cannot be screened in the state containing the mental hospital (still open) it was shot in — provides a rawer depiction of it.

The problem was: The advocates for their closure envisioned a system of community- or neighborhood-based residential facilities where treatment and services could be provided. But many states simply saw a way to get a large expense off their ledger books and closed them anyway without any replacements in place.

We've been paying the (IMO even higher) price for those decisions ever since.
What you are saying is obviously true and living in the asylums was no picnic nor was it cutting edge healthcare, but it was still better than housing them in prison or forcing them onto the streets. As you said, we're paying a higher cost now without them.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:14 AM

4,744 posts, read 4,447,050 times
Well what a lovely discussion we are having here.. If you think that I am being a sensationalist (bye '???) and based on no reality, we have more of a problem here. Calling names and belittling? Seriously

Please, I know I've seen more intelligent discourse here and I hope this was a one off.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:37 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,542,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well what a lovely discussion we are having here.. If you think that I am being a sensationalist (bye '???) and based on no reality, we have more of a problem here. Calling names and belittling? Seriously
Please, I know I've seen more intelligent discourse here and I hope this was a one off.
Lol. Since you have the arrogance to imply others aren't responding intelligently, lets rewind the tape here for a second (I'm just reading these posts now anyway). You stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I think the chaos with the "protests" has really added a new element of out of control. I was hesitant to go into Philly anyway. I do not feel that I would be safe there. Thanks no thanks.
I mean, in reality, this is an ignorant statement. What else do you want people to say?

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 05-10-2024 at 05:11 AM..

Old 05-10-2024, 07:40 AM

1,703 posts, read 980,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Lol. Since you have the arrogance to imply others aren't responding intelligently, lets rewind the tape here for a second (I'm just reading these posts now anyway). You stated:

I mean, in reality, this is an ignorant statement. What else do you want people to say?
Honestly, Mayvenne. If you're going to make such comments you should expect reaction that is much more pointed than this.

Your comment shows that you don't live here. So making asinine comments about life here is always going to ruffle feathers. You don't want to come here. All I was saying is that those of us who live here are comfortable with your decision.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:18 AM

1,034 posts, read 452,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Even the pandemic spike didn't rise to the level of violent crime at its peak in the 80s/early 90s. Crime rates across the country had been falling for nearly 30 years before 2020 when Trump started squawking about how US cities were war zones that are no-go areas for his base of scared white people who would never even go to a big city anyway. To this day, I still have brainwashed Trump cult friends who swear to me that there are gangs of illegal immigrants terrorizing any normal citizens who dare enter Philadelphia or any big city. I don't know whether to laugh at them or cry because they exist.
The pandemic spike didn't rise to the level of violent crime at its peak in the 80s/early 90s? It did in Philly, homicides exceeded the totals from that era.

Last edited by MPK21; 05-10-2024 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-10-2024, 08:38 AM

1,034 posts, read 452,489 times
Quote:
George Floyd Weekend did lead me to pen this essay, but I don't think that the city's image took that much of a hit because of the Walnut Street rampage, even if it followed a script written in advance.

But the reason Philly's image didn't suffer a hit was: There were similar riots in other cities that weekend, and anyway, the events in Minneapolis itself sucked up most of the media oxygen.

I'd say the pandemic crime spike has caused more damage to the city's image, and the Kensington opioid bazaar even more. Crime has fallen since the pandemic spike, and yet you see and hear people (like Mayvenne) talking as though this place were still "Killadelphia," where you took your life into your hands every time you left home. But the videos of Kensington Avenue have gone viral multiple times over, and that's led some to think that most of Philadelphia looks like that. I'm glad Mayor Parker has chosen to finally clean that up.
Of course it's expected to immediately get the ''it happened in other cities as well'' response but my post is rooted in your 2nd paragraph/1st sentence. Of course it was the post-2020 George Floyd lie protests followed by a wild west few years of gun violence mayhem; about 1,800 black folks were killed by other black folks, something I've been stating about the collateral fallout from the white misfits using the black community as a means for their own personal and political ends, akin to the 2nd article you cite: white people use the black community and the black community suffers the deadly consequences

You should update the ''righteous outrage'' in 2024 related to the 2020 article given that the entire Floyd thing is and was based on a lie. Same as this Criminal Reform, DEI, Drivers' Equality Bill nonsense....all b.s. with dangerous consequences.

Philly's not-so-great image did take a big hit from 2020-2023 due to the gun violence and murders, the hands-off prosecution from you-know-who etc and as recently as last fall when Meatball became a national hit looting the Apple Store on Walnut.

But hey, the self-anointed white folks determined to fix black folks lives because these patronizing racists think they can't do things for themselves, did the job: the Rizzo Statue and Mural are gone! (but don't mention the 1,800 dead black folks, including lots of black kids, when the white movement known as BLM abruptly ended on November 7, 2020).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia