Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2023, 11:40 AM

1,705 posts, read 984,905 times

Advertisements

I get it.

To me, though, weed probably make people less likely to commit violent crime. I bet this town would be exponentially better if they legalized weed and made everyone smoke.

lol. I am also well aware that I'm likely in the minority on this one....

Old 04-06-2023, 01:37 PM

476 posts, read 278,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I get it.

To me, though, weed probably make people less likely to commit violent crime. I bet this town would be exponentially better if they legalized weed and made everyone smoke.

lol. I am also well aware that I'm likely in the minority on this one....
Last night the suspect for the robbery at 2nd and Market was taken into custody, just an FYI

Old 04-06-2023, 01:39 PM

476 posts, read 278,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Several hundred juveniles cause chaos in Center City

Several hundred juveniles caused chaos in Center City around the area of the Fashion District mall Wednesday night, with some reportedly throwing rocks at police before they were finally dispersed, police said.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...e-say/3540879/
Some good news around this: https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20230406.html

There was no property damage, no rocks thrown at officers as initially reported, and the injured officer hurt himself during a pursuit.

While large throngs of teens running around isn't great and will probably usually lead to some damage, this was immediately blown out of proportion by everyone with an agenda (not you).

Old 04-06-2023, 01:50 PM

7,303 posts, read 10,651,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Some good news around this: https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20230406.html

There was no property damage, no rocks thrown at officers as initially reported, and the injured officer hurt himself during a pursuit.

While large throngs of teens running around isn't great and will probably usually lead to some damage, this was immediately blown out of proportion by everyone with an agenda (not you).
I think a lot of Philadelphians are reflexive about roving gangs of youths, since it's giving folks PTSD about the return of "flash mobs."

The reality is this has been a recurring problem for a number of years that rears its ugly head every so often. Here's an article from over a decade ago, which describes an event that was actually pretty violent (and what occurred over the weekend does not compare):

The effects of Philadelphia's mob violence - CNN.com

Old 04-06-2023, 03:24 PM

1,036 posts, read 454,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think a lot of Philadelphians are reflexive about roving gangs of youths, since it's giving folks PTSD about the return of "flash mobs."

The reality is this has been a recurring problem for a number of years that rears its ugly head every so often. Here's an article from over a decade ago, which describes an event that was actually pretty violent (and what occurred over the weekend does not compare):

The effects of Philadelphia's mob violence - CNN.com
It's more than a return of the traditional Philly flash mobs PTSD, it's from the general climate today after several years of the social experiment inappropriately called ''criminal reform'' and the negative collateral effects it's causing.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:04 PM

8,993 posts, read 21,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
It's more than a return of the traditional Philly flash mobs PTSD, it's from the general climate today after several years of the social experiment inappropriately called ''criminal reform'' and the negative collateral effects it's causing.
From my perspective, it's from being cooped up during the pandemic with their parents able to earn little to no income and now having even less city funding to offer productive diversions for kids.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Time to vote out democrats.
The closest you'll get are Domb or Brown. North and West Philly in particular are never going to vote Republican. Far Northeast and Far South Philly won't be enough.

We might agree that Kenney can't leave a moment too soon, though...

Old 04-06-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Last night, me and my lady took a walk from OC to 11th and Market at around 6pm. It was the nicest day of the year so far and people/foot traffic was busiest I've seen it in years. It was great.

We got back only to learn we were 30 mins early for a shooting at 8th and Market. They were canvassing for 3 perps (black masks, black hoodies, black pants). We were 10 minutes early for an armed robbery at 3rd and market ( perp got away as they all do). About 10 mins later, I hear choppers who were looking for the group of teens (black masks, black hoddies, black pants) who physically assalted someone at 2nd and market. This was our stroll through eastern Center City.

At what point does that uniform raise the hackles? Mike Myers had a uniform. Jason had a uniform. That "Scream" dude? Yeah, we pretty much didn't need to wait for them to commit a crime before we went after them. This is nuts.

This town is being openly terrorized by teens in uniforms. And they still manage to elude our crack police department at every turn.

I paralleled your walk, apparently. At one point I saw a police car parked on 2nd St just north of Market and wondered why it was sitting there. Also wondered why there were choppers buzzing by at one point. Now I know.

Old 04-06-2023, 06:53 PM

1,036 posts, read 454,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
From my perspective, it's from being cooped up during the pandemic with their parents able to earn little to no income and now having even less city funding to offer productive diversions for kids.
Philly has a long history of issues with flash mobs, pandemic or not.

These recent incidents are just a sign of spring in Philly for well over a decade. What was the excuse in say 2009?

Old 04-06-2023, 07:39 PM

86 posts, read 62,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Philly has a long history of issues with flash mobs, pandemic or not.

These recent incidents are just a sign of spring in Philly for well over a decade. What was the excuse in say 2009?
Which is why we can’t make any excuses when we go to the polls. It’s time the politicians and civil servants start working for the citizens of Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia