Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2023, 03:35 PM

8,993 posts, read 21,219,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Why didn't black males, especially from lower-class backgrounds vote for Trump then in 2016? Trump just as ''machismo'' then as he was in 2020. Those employments stats you mention had everything to do with black males voting for Trump in higher numbers in 2020.
I've often felt that Trump had the opportunity to become a true populist and rally poor/working-class folks of all stripes to his cause and become a real life Jay Bulworth. Instead he went in another direction that largely continued to alienate Black voters from his party.

Also, as I shared in my other post(#52), the heavy lifting of unemployment numbers primarily occurred during Obama's time in office. So if we are going to give Presidents credit (or blame) for the economy, it should be shared proportionately.

Old 03-25-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Legislation to protect and social programs to provide $$ assistance for the black community. These social programs are reparations. Reparations were established 58 years ago and continue to provide reparations for the past. Today's new Reparations movement is just another free $$ grab.
What "legislation to protect and social programs" are you referring to? I suspect that poor people of all shades benefit from many of them even as Blacks may make up a disproportionate % relative to their community.

Also, if my guess at your definition of such programs and legislation is correct, middle-to-upper-income Blacks do not benefit. So it is not "reparations". I feel like I've suggested in the past - possibly in this thread - what true reparations would look like in our fair city. So as not to repeat myself too much, it would revolve around improving the social and physical infrastructure in the most challenged communities while protecting such improvements from forcing residents out via gentrification. However, I am sure that this would involve buy-in at the regional, state and federal levels that would be all but impossible to achieve.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:47 PM

10,640 posts, read 12,200,933 times
The shooting in West Philly has me once again shaking my head.
I mean four people bold as day just standing in the street shooing at a house.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:12 PM

7,303 posts, read 10,652,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarerz View Post
1. The trillions of dollars spent over the 60 years on social programs has NOT eliminated low income areas. The US gov't now has enormous debt (which will probably never be repaid). Much of the post-WWII American wealth is gone. Yet, some expect continued increases in social spending. This won't happen because it would destroy the financial system.
I'm not sure why you're asserting that wealth is "gone" when there's countless corporations with record profits and record numbers of billionaires across the globe.

The government is forced to spend on social programs not for a lack of total wealth, but for the abysmal distribution of wealth that remains concentrated at the hands of a very, very small elite group in our society, leaving the masses to crumbs that remain. And stoking middle-class resentment of the poor so that the finger is never pointed in the direction of the wealthy elites.

Social programs like food stamps and welfare are actually subsidizing corporations, in that taxpayers are picking up the tab of supplementing shi**y wages in the service industry, whereby many are working full-time and still forced to rely on government assistance.

Don't blame the government for the lack of progress in ameliorating poverty; the blame is squarely on the greedy and self-centered CEOs in our society that can't be bothered to pay a living wage to so many of their employees at the expense of their 1,000:1 salary ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarerz View Post
2. After years of artificial low inflation, inflation has come roaring back. The result will be (depending upon how bad inflation gets and how long it persists) a significant erosion in the purchasing power of everyone's dollars. Let's say that purchasing power is reduced 25-50%. How does the half of America living paycheck to paycheck cope?

See above. We're seeing massive inflation because the world has gotten so used to cheap labor and taking advantage of the working class.

Those days are over, and we're now paying the price for it.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-25-2023 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-26-2023, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post

Also, as I shared in my other post(#525), the heavy lifting of unemployment numbers primarily occurred during Obama's time in office. So if we are going to give Presidents credit (or blame) for the economy, it should be shared proportionately.
FYI Not post #52 but rather #525.

Old 03-26-2023, 09:36 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,552,263 times
Supposedly someone who was released by Krasner for being "wrongfully convicted" has been re-arrested for a murder from last month. The even crazier twist? A woman was also arrested for the same case and is the sister to another man Krasner released! Unbelievable.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:08 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,139,284 times
Quadruple Shooting early today that left 2 dead was from an attempted carjacking.

Who the hell did they to rob, Rambo? John Wick?

Hopefully this rend of carjackers being shot gives criminals a second thought.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:28 AM

476 posts, read 278,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Supposedly someone who was released by Krasner for being "wrongfully convicted" has been re-arrested for a murder from last month. The even crazier twist? A woman was also arrested for the same case and is the sister to another man Krasner released! Unbelievable.
I hate Krasner as much as the next person (I voted Peruto and I'm a Democrat) but I think the first one you're talking about is the guy who was released in 2017, right? Before Krasner took office.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:54 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,552,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I hate Krasner as much as the next person (I voted Peruto and I'm a Democrat) but I think the first one you're talking about is the guy who was released in 2017, right? Before Krasner took office.

you're probably right. I saw it on social media and not an official source.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:49 AM

10,640 posts, read 12,200,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Quadruple Shooting early today that left 2 dead was from an attempted carjacking.

Who the hell did they to rob, Rambo? John Wick?

Hopefully this rend of carjackers being shot gives criminals a second thought.
I look forward to seeing/hearing more about this and who shot whom first...because IF it's true that someone was being chased into a building...then this shooting could be problematic....because.....
1) if the carjacking victim was chasing one of the attackers then he can't say he was in fear of his life and it was self-defense.

2) if the carjackers were chasing the victim into a building then they were doubly stupid

3) And of course was it really a "chase." Just because people are running in the same direction to the same building doesn't mean one is "chasing" the other...they could BOTH be trying to get to safety and away from a third party.

Much more to learn know about this. IMO.
Especially given that all I know is what's been posted here...which is not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia